Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if there's a problem or it's something I'm doing. Crossed the 500 mile threshold and tried a couple of 0-60 sprints today. Both times, the car backfired soon after I floored it. Not sure if it matters but the car is an automatic, in Sport mode, using Sunoco 93. Assistance appreciated.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope ..normal when you get on it and it shifts....been talked about at meetings with GM, they engineered it that way, acc to one interview...
Thanks Glen. I guess I'm relieved and yet I wonder what causes it and why it couldn't be engineered out.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Thanks Glen. I guess I'm relieved and yet I wonder what causes it and why it couldn't be engineered out.
aha! Don't assume....it was engineered IN..to sound like race cars do.....

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
My wife's VW does it when the dual clutch shifts under WOT and my Jeep SRT8 did it too. The ECM cuts the ignition for a few milliseconds as it shifts to ease the torque load on the trans which leaves unburnt fuel in a few of the cylinders, when the ignition comes back on it ignites that unburnt fuel. On the VW it sounds like the car is farting.........

Interesting they did it this way on the C7. I wonder if they did it in lieu of the typical torque management in the ECM or if it's in combination? I imagine a manual using the no lift shift would do something similar.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
What you guys are talking about is a "backfire" through the exhaust and not the induction system, right?

·
Administrator
16,303 Posts
What you guys are talking about is a "backfire" through the exhaust and not the induction system, right?
The two 0-60s I did last week in RedHot did have some interesting secondary exhaust sounds, perhaps a backfire, as I laid off the gas but not as I got on it. It sounded kinda cool and I really did not pay too much attention to it since I had turned 4.2 times each run and that was just in Tour Mode, not Track and not using Launch Control. :cool:

Reactions: The Rock

·
18,670 Posts
If they are an exhaust sound, sort of a popping and throaty burbling as you downshift or take your foot off the gas when you are at middle to high revs in a gear, that is natural. If it is a backfire, especially in line with Chip's question about it being in the induction/intake system, that is not good, nor correct.

·
Administrator
16,303 Posts
If they are an exhaust sound, sort of a popping and throaty burbling as you downshift or take your foot off the gas when you are at middle to high revs in a gear, that is natural. If it is a backfire, especially in line with Chip's question about it being in the induction/intake system, that is not good, nor correct.
Mine were definitely exhaust. I would have stopped in my tracks and not repeated the 0-60 if I experienced any induction/intake abnormal sounds.

·
Registered
89 Posts
probably traction thats what my supercharged truck does in first gear, scared me the first time

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
As I said above , from another post on this :
At the seminars in April it was mentioned that this "bark" during upshifts was programmed into automatic trans C7s to mimic the bark heard when the racing C6.R's sequential transmissions upshift.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm embarrassed to say that I don't have enough experience to be sure of the difference between the two. I have heard other vehicles pop during a deceleration and this sound and feel are more significant. I was not using the paddles and and I don't recall taking my foot off the accelerator at all. Acceleration isn't very smooth but at the speed of shifting, that's probably expected. If weather permits, I'll try again tomorrow and hope it doesn't cause more problems.

My dealership is pretty big in the southeast with a decent sized contingent of prior generation owners and 60 C7s. Of the several dozen C7s that they've delivered, they said they haven't yet had one in the shop. Ordinarily, I'd feel good about that but I'm never sure if I'm getting straight scoop from them.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As I said above , from another post on this :
At the seminars in April it was mentioned that this "bark" during upshifts was programmed into automatic trans C7s to mimic the bark heard when the racing C6.R's sequential transmissions upshift.

I regret that you had to repeat something but I wasn't familiar with the April seminars. As mentioned, I'm new to any "Cs" and not sure I'd "get it" if I did hear it. I was just hoping for some thoughts and/or advice. It's probably best that I take it in and at least chat with service. Not sure how the sound can be replicated...practically speaking.

·
Registered
463 Posts
If it's just blurps, that's awesome sounding. But I don't blame you for being concerned. Have some others hear it to give an opinion.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
George; It's much better to be safe than sorry! We are all learning the ways of this car and its operation. That's why we are here, to learn the details of ownership.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sebastien Loeb in a 900+ hp, purpose built, Peugeot set a mind blowing new record for the 2013 Pike's Peak hill climb. My wife and I were sitting on a mountain side at 12,500 feet. The race started at 9,390 feet and finished at over 14,000. One of the most memorable things about this incredible car and driver was the "pop" that happened after every shift from his 6 speed DCT transmission. We could hear it from miles away, long before we could even see the car way below. The point is that the sound of a "pop" after a gear shift is becoming one of most distinctive sounds in many forms of racing. I'm glad to get my little taste of it with my C7 A6. You can also hear it in the drag racing videos linked on this site when the A6 is raced.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts