Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my Z51 at the museum on Feb24. Drove home to Pa in temps around 20 degrees. Only then did i find out about the 20 degree limit. So, I checked tread depth and cracks at 1000miles. Average of 6.5/32nds. No cracks. Michelin site says new tires have 9/32. This seemed like very bad tire wear.

Just checked again at 5000 miles and average was 6/32. The last 4000 mile was in warm weather and apparently only used 1/2 32.

I have a very accurate gauge so I'm sure of the measurement.

Any thoughts???

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I guess the first question is: Is there anything in your driving style that promotes this sort of wear, if not, what were you tire pressures while it was cold?

·
Registered
827 Posts
I can't comment on the wear but I thought the temp limit was below 40 degrees, e.g., tires should not be driven in temps below 40 degrees.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm a pretty easy driver , don't really push the car hard. tire pressure has always been around 35psi. I have never added or let out any air.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
at 40 degrees you lose performance, but you should not damage the tires, below 20 degrees you can damage the tires. This is per a GM bulletin.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I always run higher than recommended (40psi) tire pressure to promote even tire wear.
Of course, if I head to a track event or plan on some spirited driving, I adjust the tire pressure accordingly.

Mike

·
Administrator
16,497 Posts
A couple of thoughts: are you saying your tread depth is at both times your measured, consistent front and back? you mention your tires have always been at 35psi- is this a Z51 or base, since the base recommendation is 30psi? Also it would be unusual for you to have had your tire pressure at 35psi on your 1000 mile drive home in 20 degree weather and still have 35psi in your tires now when the ambient temperature is more probably at least in the 70s to 80s. Are you basing your reading on the TPM system in the car or on a accurate digital gauge? Final thought, is it possible that your initial tread measurement was on a bar rather than the base of the tread valley?

·
Registered
162 Posts
That's awful. I'm going to shop for tires now with only 500 miles on the car. :(

Maybe I'll change the tires to the 40K Michelin all season sport. What do you think?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
That's awful. I'm going to shop for tires now with only 500 miles on the car. :(

Maybe I'll change the tires to the 40K Michelin all season sport. What do you think?
I think you are just prodding us for responses. If you've read any of my other posts in tire threads you already know my answer. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
873 Posts
I always run higher than recommended (40psi) tire pressure to promote even tire wear.
Of course, if I head to a track event or plan on some spirited driving, I adjust the tire pressure accordingly.

Mike
Actually, I have found anything over 30 psi causes excessive wear in the center of the tires. The rears are now running 28 psi. 40 seems excessive.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
1,905 Posts

I think I'd wait until they wore out first. Replacing new tires because they might wear out faster than something else doesn't make much sense to me. I'll run mine and when they need replaced, I'll replace them. That's the way I do it with all of my cars.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
a set of Nitto Invos will be next.
5200 miles on mine and virtually no wear, very decent price and VERY quiet....

·
Administrator
16,497 Posts
Like Glen, RedHot at 6000 miles and virtually no wear on any of the 4 OEM tires, handle extremely well with great traction and incredibly quiet especially for run flats.

Reactions: tmcternan

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,671 Posts
5200 miles on mine and virtually no wear, very decent price and VERY quiet....
That was my third set on the '10 GS, put them on before our cross country tour last year (9100 mi.), didn't even look like they were worn, yes, smooth and very quiet.

·
Registered
162 Posts
After the factories wear out, a set of Nitto Invos will be next.
I have used Nitto tires in the past and they were pretty good. Although, I am leaning more on the Michelin S Sport (I used those for my old 2010 Jaguar XF SC).

I might install a tire repair plant in the trunk; Na. :)

Reactions: Norm

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so, I assume your tread depth is over 8/32?

If so, the only explanation I can think of is: These tire must wear out faster at temps in the 25 degree range.

·
Administrator
16,497 Posts
so, I assume your tread depth is over 8/32?

If so, the only explanation I can think of is: These tire must wear out faster at temps in the 25 degree range.
If you are referring to my post, yes all four tires have at least 1/4 in tread depth at 6000+ miles. As for to the cause of your wear, sorry I don't have a clue as to whether it was caused by the 25 degrees driving or higher tire pressure you posted or a combination or some other factor.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,671 Posts
I have used Nitto tires in the past and they were pretty good. Although, I am leaning more on the Michelin S Sport (I used those for my old 2010 Jaguar XF SC).

I might install a tire repair plant in the trunk; Na. :)
I have a plug repair kit and a small 12v compressor neatly tucked away in the rear storage compartment.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts