Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a six week old Stingray. It's never been in the rain. Wipers have never been run in any rain.

I washed it today and it was (finally) very sunny.

I noticed a half-moon shaped extremely fine scratch as though the wiper traced it (perfect arc). The sun has to be just perfect or it cannot be seen. I don't even know if I can feel it with my nail.

I have seen this on other forums, but, not here.

May I ask if anyone has had this issue and is there a way to "make it go away?" I am afraid to touch it or even use the wipers if it doe rain. Never seen anything like this before...

I am showing it to the dealer on Monday....

Thank you ...

·
Registered
755 Posts
Does it line up with the wiper arm when the blade would be off? It is a possibility that they were activated accidently without the blades being attached. If that is the case, I would fight hammer, tooth and tong to get a new windshield under warrantee. If an attempt is made to polish the scratch out you may end up with a dip in the glass that the blades would not clean properly. Be firm and strong when dealing with the dealer. If you did not do it some one from GM or the dealership did. It is a remote possibility that it happened durring assembly. Are both sides of the windshielf the same or is it just one. If it is the drivers side it could and will effect your vision especially now that you know it is there. Good luck...

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
If it were me, I would as STUNG suggests, take it to your dealer so it can be noted by them. I also would take it to a quality glass shop to see if the scratch can be safely removed. After thinking about this a little more, I would take it to the glass shop first so you have that opinion in your pocket just in case the dealer tells you something different. Good luck and keep us posted on what happens.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Yes, in fact I can see exactly what would *probably* have caused it. Just the one side and where the blade is held by a clamp is exaclty where the scratch begins. I figure the blade was never aligned or it bunched up, one wipe fixed it after doing the damage.

Even if they agree to replace the glass, that in itself will create other issues... I have never had a car where this happened.

·
Super Moderator
3,362 Posts
Even if they agree to replace the glass, that in itself will create other issues... I have never had a car where this happened.
Last year, a rock flew up and cracked my windshield. In 28 years of driving, this was the first time I ever had to replace a windshield. The technician removed my old windshield, vacuumed and cleaned the frame and even the dash, installed the adhesive, and popped the new windshield in place. Everything is perfect! Plus, he vacuumed the floor mats and seat cushions! So, no need to worry about the replacement process. Hope it goes well for you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last year, a rock flew up and cracked my windshield. In 28 years of driving, this was the first time I ever had to replace a windshield. The technician removed my old windshield, vacuumed and cleaned the frame and even the dash, installed the adhesive, and popped the new windshield in place. Everything is perfect! Plus, he vacuumed the floor mats and seat cushions! So, no need to worry about the replacement process. Hope it goes well for you.
Thanks so much. May I ask which company you used? I think a new car needs to look new :) Thank you again.

·
Super Moderator
3,362 Posts
I used Safelite. It's the same company that my insurance uses.

·
18,670 Posts
Does you fingernail catch in the groove? If so, polishing will not work as too much glass needs to be removed to get the scratch out, and would then cause visual distortion.

Safelite has done two windshields for me too, both perfectly.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fignernail and even a razor blade cannot catch in the groove. Thanks for the tip on Safelite.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
If it helps, a vehicle that turned out to be my favorite of all time came from the factory with an improperly sealed windshield. Not exactly your same issue, but it did require a windshield removal and re-install.

As far as Safelite, they have a lot of experience. They also have access to "aftermarket" windshields for most applications that cost FAR LESS than OEM. If the dealer agrees to replace, insist on OEM glass. Not that there is anything wrong with their aftermarket glass...

I've had 3 windshields replaced my Safelite. Only the most recent wasn't perfect-the top is a little misaligned. But, that can happen at the factory, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it helps, a vehicle that turned out to be my favorite of all time came from the factory with an improperly sealed windshield. Not exactly your same issue, but it did require a windshield removal and re-install.

As far as Safelite, they have a lot of experience. They also have access to "aftermarket" windshields for most applications that cost FAR LESS than OEM. If the dealer agrees to replace, insist on OEM glass. Not that there is anything wrong with their aftermarket glass...

I've had 3 windshields replaced my Safelite. Only the most recent wasn't perfect-the top is a little misaligned. But, that can happen at the factory, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum
Thank you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts