Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's so annoying to hear some folks call the Stingray the "base" Corvette.

There's NOTHING about the Stingray that is "base".

All the trim levels come nicely loaded with features.

This is where I will show no respect for others who call the Stingray a "base" Corvette.

Calling a Stingray a "base" Corvette is like saying Godzilla is just a little bitty lizard.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Okay, so technically we can use the term 1YY*7 to refer to the base StingRay models, 1YX*7 to refer to the Z51 StingRay models, and, I am not sure what the Z06 models will be called.

Somehow, I don't think this level of political correctness will catch on, however.

What would you suggest people call them?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Reactions: Z51Stingray

·
18,670 Posts
What is the best word, or words to describe a non Z-51 StingRay please, for I too do not like the word "base" in describing any StingRay?

How can any car that can pull 1.0 G on a skid pad, as every no-option StingRay can, be considered base, especially in comparison to every single $105,000 or less Porsche -- none of which can pull 1.0 G.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Should have been Touring and Sport and left at that. Or gone to confusing land like Honda and call them SX, EX, BX, JFDIOESJFX, etc.

·
Administrator
16,496 Posts
Agree, there certainly isn't a "base" based on what we get. I think the best way to refer to our cars is either a "Stingray" or if appropriate and so inclined, a "Stingray Z51" :cool:

·
Registered
307 Posts
I like C7 (or non-Z51 C7), Z51 C7, and Z06. Thoughts?

·
Administrator
16,496 Posts
I like C7 (or non-Z51 C7), Z51 C7, and Z06. Thoughts?
Fine if you are talking with a Corvette person, but to a non-Corvette individual the term "C7" would be pretty meaningless, Stingray on the other hand doesn't need any intro to most people.

Reactions: Bellabimb

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
base (noun): a fundamental principle or groundwork; foundation; basis.
base (adjective): of little or no value; worthless.

Of course, there are many other definitions as well, but those are the two relevant ones.

So, I think the usage depends on the context of peoples' intentions when they write (or say) "base" StingRay.

Are the 1YY*7 models the fundamental building blocks upon which all C7s are based? Yes, of course they are (and that is a great thing for all C7 models).

Are the 1YY*7 models of little or no value? Of course not!

·
Registered
522 Posts
eheheheh ya.... Can you imagine saying you are getting the base Z06?

Reactions: Z51Stingray

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
I might also add that, although I have used the term "base" to refer to the 1YY*7 models, it was always done from a standpoint of what comes to my mind first for "base" and that is the mathematical definition of the "fundamental building block", if you will. It was never meant to imply inferior value!

Reactions: smackYYZ

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
eheheheh ya.... Can you imagine saying you are getting the base Z06?
Yes, I can.

Base Z06 = Stage 1 Z06: the fundamental model on which the Stage 2 and Z07 are built.

I don't see why there is such a negative connotation of the word, since there are so many definitions, and the actual applicable definition depends on the context in which the word is used. "Base StingRay" says "exemplary, fundamental building block for a sports car" to me.

Reactions: smackYYZ

·
Registered
522 Posts
I might separate base models from that of the Z51 or Z07 as 'Touring' or 'Competition'. It seems from everything that I have read that the comfort level in long trips is a huge differentiator between the two.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Nope...my non-Z51 is a Stingray. It has the emblem on each side and I have added a Stingray license plate frame. To not refer to it as a Stingray is an insult to the product I purchased.
So calling your Stingray a Stingray is an insult?

Wait, what?

As many have said... All Stingrays are Corvettes, but not all Corvettes are Stingrays.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
"Base" to me just implies unpainted canvas, and perhaps even a "work in progress". Back in the day we knew it as a sleeper. The letters COPO comes to mind.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
So calling your Stingray a Stingray is an insult?

Wait, what?

As many have said... All Stingrays are Corvettes, but not all Corvettes are Stingrays.
That is why he is balking at the suggestion of "How about Corvette or Stingray?"

1 - 20 of 126 Posts