Stingray Corvette Forum banner
21 - 40 of 126 Posts
What does GM call the non Z-51 model?
Corvette Stingray

Z-51 is just an option.

The Z06 on the other hand is a clearly distinct vehicle, versus the "base" (non-Z51 and Z51) Stingray.

Reactions: 2ndvette
Corvette Stingray

Z-51 is just an option.

The Z06 on the other hand is a clearly distinct vehicle, versus the "base" (non-Z51 and Z51) Stingray.
No, we have been through this a dozen times. The Z51 are distinct models, not an option. So says General Motors.

Devil's advocate here:

C6's, had four models in some years, the base, the Grand Sport, The Z-06, and the ZR-1. If the first listed was not one of the latter 3, what was the first called? :)

Mobius, go up to the top of the page, click on "Home" and look at the four models listed on the image of the price schedule. The models had the same categories last year as well.

Devil's advocate here:

C6's, had four models in some years, the base, the Grand Sport, The Z-06, and the ZR-1. If the first listed was not one of the latter 3, what was the first called? :)
Advocating again, eh? :rolleyes:

I'll play along - the Grand Sport was much more than just the z-51 option, so it would be a unique vehicle, just like the Z06 and ZR-1.

Mobius, go up to the top of the page, click on "Home" and look at the four models listed on the image of the price schedule. The models had the same categories last year as well.
Sarcasm is just wasted on some people, even when placed in the thread title. ;)

Reactions: somethincreativ
So, if we should not use the term "base" because of one definition of the word and the negative connotations it can cause for many members of this forum, then why not call it "Y"?

Here are the advantages:

1) It is quick and easy to write. It would therefore have a lesser barrier for acceptance from a typing efficiency standpoint.
2) At some level, it is technically correct. Given that the non-Z51 models are 1YY*7 versus 1YX*7 for the Z51, the significant difference, internal to GM, is the third character when identifying if a car is a non-Z51 or a Z51. For the non-Z51, that unique character is "Y".
3) Many vehicles use a short character string to identify models.
4) The full model identifiers, 1YY*7 are too cumbersome to write, difficult to remember, and would never receive wide acceptance.

So, we would have the Y StingRay, the Z51 StingRay, and the Z06.

If we just say "StingRay", to me that implies all four models (1YY07, 1YY67, 1YX07 and 1YX67). Many times it is necessary to indicate that we are talking about all StingRays which are not Z51 (for example, the number of quarts of oil for the "base" StingRay - if we just said "StingRay", the intent would not be clear: some further identifiers are often a necessity).

Advocating again, eh? :rolleyes:

I'll play along - the Grand Sport was much more than just the z-51 option, so it would be a unique vehicle, just like the Z06 and ZR-1.
I listed four, 1. Base, 2. GS, 3. Z-06, 4. ZR-1. If you had to identify #1, what would #1 be called (other than Corvette). :)

Sarcasm is just wasted on some people, even when placed in the thread title. ;)
I'm sorry, but I don't get it. That probably makes it even worse, but, yeah, I am confused.

It's so annoying to hear some folks call the Stingray the "base" Corvette.

There's NOTHING about the Stingray that is "base".

All the trim levels come nicely loaded with features.

This is where I will show no respect for others who call the Stingray a "base" Corvette.

Calling a Stingray a "base" Corvette is like saying Godzilla is just a little bitty lizard.
When I was a Space Shuttle pilot in the early 80's, our payload on Columbia was around 50,000#'s. When the thrust on the solid rocket boosters (SRB's) on later shuttles, starting with Endeavor(CV105), was increased, and the thrust of the Space Shuttle Main Engines (SSME's) were increased, the max payloads went up to a max of 55,000 lbs at lift off. To this day, my Shuttle Pilot buddies STILL tease me about driving the BASE model. SUCKS!!

Just kidding, not a Shuttle pilot. This whole topic is laughable!!

Reactions: V1 VR and Z06 Owned
So a non-Z51, or "base" Stingray 3LT, can cost more than a "Z51" 1LT or possibly even a 2LT depending on other options, so I can see where calling it "base" can be misleading. I call my current C6 a Z51 Coupe. I refer to my non-Z51 car on order as a Stingray Coupe.

Technically a 1LT, regardless whether it's Coupe, Z51 Coupe, Convertible or Z51 Convertible is the "Base" model. A 1LZ is the "Base" Z06.

Base, in automotive terms, means no options and since the Z51 and soon the Z06 are separate models, ordering that car with no other options is the Base version.

Here, and on other Corvette forums Coupe, Vert, Z51 Coupe, Z51 Vert, Z06 and Z07 would be the proper shorthand. Just put the word "Corvette" In front of all those when talking to the outside world.

Technically a 1LT, regardless whether it's Coupe, Z51 Coupe, Convertible or Z51 Convertible is the "Base" model. A 1LZ is the "Base" Z06.

Base, in automotive terms, means no options and since the Z51 and soon the Z06 are separate models, ordering that car with no other options is the Base version.

Here, and on other Corvette forums Coupe, Vert, Z51 Coupe, Z51 Vert, Z06 and Z07 would be the proper shorthand. Just put the word "Corvette" In front of all those when talking to the outside world.
Ah, Mark, you are so correct! So it actually is technically incorrect to call the 1YY*7 models the base models.

Okay, I will never refer to the 1YY*7 models as "base" models again.

How about instead of base use best value model
or maybe budget conscious model :rolleyes:

Today at a red light a guy behind me was taking pictures of the back of my car, I doubt he was thinking 'it's just a base car'

How about instead of base use best value model
or maybe budget conscious model :rolleyes:
yup, I can just hear the conversation at Cars and Coffee now. So what do you drive? Oh I drive a Best Value Model. Hummmmmmm:rolleyes:

How about "Touring" for the non Z51, and "Sport" for the Z51 ??

21 - 40 of 126 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.