Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going to order a C7 soon, I don't intend to do any racing I just want a nice cruiser.
perhaps someone can advise me regarding the ride and interior road noise levels on the base (non Z51 model) vs Z51
The only review I've read that addresses this was from cars.com here:
He mentions the ride quality difference at the 4:55 minute mark in the video.

Comments on personal experiences would be appreciated

He also says the exhaust bypass is a must have, I'm not sure if I would agree. does the standard exhaust have a decent sound with the top panel off?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He mentions the ride difference at 5:08

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Generally, the consensus seems to be that the ride of the non-Z51 is even more smooth than Z51 plus MSRC, but the ride is not easily adjustable unless you have the MSRC. In the stated use case of the OP, that would mean he would prefer the non-Z51 setup.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I have driven all 3 and first and foremost wanted the nicest ride possible, no real racing or tracking for me, it is a daily driver. I ordered the base car, changed the wheels and tires to z51 size and could not be happier. Around town and highway, it is a dream and if you push It, it responds as well as any of the BMW sedans I drove. Base all the way for me.

And as far as the pipes, both sound nice. The base pipes have a good growl and to me the NPP advantage is the 4 in tips, I love the look.

But I think it's very important to say that everyone is diff and the forums - not so much here- are full of people that think it's their job to get you to buy what they like, and all other choices are incorrect. You will never know until you drive the choices, no one is like you.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glen e,

Thanks for the info, I'll probably go with the base model and standard exhaust, a little growl is good enough for me.
Did the original tires ride any softer than the Z51s you put on? I looked at your mod thread , was the spoiler you returned the OEM Z51 style?
I was thinking about getting the Z51 spoiler option as I like the look of it. It looks like a dealer installed option if ordered with the car.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Yes, I returned the z51 spoiler, it blocks too much of the rear for me.A few pages more in the build thread is a write up of the GM wing spoiler I put on....so much cooler, IMO.

I did not really notice a difference between the Z 51 tires I put on the car and the base tires .....I just didn't feel that much of a difference and I did 1500 miles with one set, and about another 2000 miles of the other set, so It just wasn't that noticeable to me at all.

·
18,670 Posts
The StingRay without Z-51, will corner at over 1.00 G, a cornering level majority of us will never see except on a racetrack. Or, to put it another way, the StingRay without a single option has far more capabilities than most of us will ever need, nor ever use.

The car is simply phenomenal sports car without a single option!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think touring mode with Z51 is smooth enough and I like being able to stiffen things up when necessary but I see the argument for non Z51. It's a hard call because the option is a bargain if you plan to use the car in that way. I guess in the end if you plan to keep the car a long time it's okay to order without but it could make resale difficult as it will likely be a must have option for future used buyers. That's my opinion.

14 C7 Red 3LT Magnetic Ride Control Z51 Clear Roof Black Rims Red Brake Calipers Dual Sport Exhaust.

Reactions: smajicek

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
The StingRay without Z-51, will corner at over 1.00 G, a cornering level majority of us will never see except on a racetrack. Or, to put it another way, the StingRay without a single option has far more capabilities than most of us will ever need, nor ever use.

The car is simply phenomenal sports car without a single option!
I am amazed how often my automatic C7 drops in and out of 4cyl and 8cyl (AFM). Constantly, at any speed in any mode. Can't notice when it happens. Got the DIC set to show me when it does happen. Its fascinating. The tour ride with the optional exhaust programmed open and I'm glad I didn't choose Z51. I wasn't aware of the rage for Z51 when I ordered. I just evaluated what you got. Not for me. Not for free. Took delivery on my C7 this past Friday.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Boomer, Did you test drive a Z51 before you bought yours? If so what difference did you notice?

I thought the cyl deactivation was disabled in some modes?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have the Z51 without magnetic ride control and I think the ride is great.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Boomer, Did you test drive a Z51 before you bought yours? If so what difference did you notice?

I thought the cyl deactivation was disabled in some modes?
No didn't test drive anything till I picked up my new one and took it out for a spin before I paid. The AFM operates in all modes on the automatic and only in eco with the manual.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
What about the elec. limited slip in z51 - is that a must?
It's part of what the computer uses to help keep you on the road when you want to be a hooligan. I opted for the Z51 because it adds so much to the car for so little $$$.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Here's the commentary about difference in ride Base vs Z51 from cars.com review:

Copy/paste from cars.com

Z51 vs. Base Suspension
One of the biggest takeaways is how different ride quality is between the base suspension and the Z51's performance suspension. Base and Z51 Corvettes may as well be two completely different cars.

For $2,800, the Z51 package adds invaluable performance features to move the 'Vette as fast as possible around a racetrack, including a sport suspension, unique chassis tuning, larger wheels with higher-performance tires, and much, much more. A Magnetic Ride Control suspension with adjustable firmness is a separate $1,795 option available only on 'Vettes with the Z51 package.

The Z51 is a more refined performance package than the former Corvette Grand Sport, which was a fast but raw experience. Similar levels of handling are achieved without the Grand Sport's disturbing front tire chatter, which reverberated through the steering wheel when turning into a parking space.

The Z51 package's awesome performance for the money is offset by its ride quality. Z51s ride with the subtlety of a battleship speeding through a no-wake zone. I struggled to differentiate ride quality of the optional Magnetic Ride Control suspension's Tour, Sport and Track settings over choppy roads. Enthusiasts may not find the ride quality overly offensive coming from a car with lowering springs or stiffer shocks.

Dropping the Z51 package transforms the Corvette into a car completely capable of driving cross-country in comfort, with a soft ride that's still taut enough to be considered sporty. Many Corvette owners enjoy driving and do a lot of it — whether it's from car show to car show or cross-country on vacation. A base-suspension 2014 Corvette is the car those buyers want. Getting from home to the racetrack may be as far as you want to drive the Z51.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Regguy1

I saw this article when I was evaluating whether to get Z51 or not and it did play into my decision to not go with the Z51 (see my post #10 on this thread). There were other similar articles when the trade journals were evaluating the new vette. One was by a guy (I think Motortrend) who was part of a group allowed to test drive vetts in Miramar, CA. Of course they were all impressed with the car and I have yet to see a negative review of the new vette. He was offered a chance to drive one of the cars he reviewed (Z51) back to his home area near Chicago as that is where Chevy wanted the car returned to. He said he turned down the offer because the Z51 ride was too rough for such a long cross country trip compared to the non Z51 he reviewed.

My non Z51 rides great and I would not want it any stiffer. I guess if I put it in sport or track mode I could get a stiffer ride. There really wasn't any feature of the Z51 I wanted or needed. We plan to use it on long trips to our cabin in the Adirondacks in NY State (about a 1000 mile round trip) and other trips. The closest it will get to a track is when I wizz by Dover International Speedway on DE RT1 heading north.

Anyway like somebody said on this thread, "to each his own". Neither configuration is better or worse that the other. Because the Z51 option is so cheap, cost is not a factor in the choice. I think much of it has to do with the option name "performance package". It used to be a performance package got you from a 327 to 350 or something like that. Of course the Z51 has the same engine and trans as non Z51 although some settings are slightly different. I bet if they had called it the Z51 Sport Package or the Z51 Track Package, the demand for Z51 would have been less. I did opt for the performance exhaust cause you got five extra horsepower. Now I'm so glad I did that because of the sound and appearance in addition to the 5hp.

Its all about what you want to do with the car.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Boomer,

You said: "My non Z51 rides great and I would not want it any stiffer. I guess if I put it in sport or track mode I could get a stiffer ride"
I'm thinking the base non Z51 model mode won't change the ride characteristics due to lack of magnetic shocks? maybe someone could clear that up. I'm also wondering
if the (on manual trans) the 1-4 forced shift doesn't operate in some mode/s (sport or track?)

Here's my dilemma now I haven't been able to test drive a C7 due to weather and I'm of the same mind you are, just want a nice cruiser. Do you think I'd be happy with
the ride and interior noise / road noise level in the base non Z51?

I drove a 2013 convert. last year and didn't care for the ride, I'm hoping C7 is a big change? I'd like to put in my order but am still hesitant without a test ride....

I've decided on a Crystal Red 1LT / Black Int / 7 speed manual / Navi / Battery Protection / Cargo Shade. I'm still debating about the Z51 Spoiler and Performance exhaust

·
Registered
6 Posts
Regguy1,

I have a C7, Z51 with mag ride and exhaust. Picked it up last September and drove it September, October and now off and on over the winter (I live in Iowa, not many nice days). Have around 6,000 miles on it so far. LOVE the exhaust option. Like the louder growl when I want it, but can turn it down when I pull in to my neighborhood so I'm not that obnoxious chick with the loud car. Also love the Z51 option - love the way the larger back wheels and larger brake rotors look. Gets lots of comments about why they look different from what locals are seeing at the dealerships (most dealerships here currently have non-Z51's). Haven't noticed it being rough at all, but keep it in Touring mode most often. Change to Sport once in awhile just for fun and like the option to do so. Hubby tries Sport mode more than I do, but he's a Ducati guy and likes to really feel the road. I figured the option would help later on resell (if I ever do) and for the cost it would be worth it, but who knows. We ordered and took delivery right before the Z51 went on constraint, but even if we had not I would have waited for the Z51 to be available just to have the options. We took her to Minneapolis back in October, nice whole day round trip with lots of highway and in town driving and just loved the ride on all roads. Very quiet on the highway and pleasant ride all the way around. No complaints about road noise or rough ride for my husband or I and we're 40 somethings with past back issues. We've had her garaged for most of the winter and it's been a super hard, super cold last couple of months here with lots of well below freezing temps, but have had no issues with tire cracking, etc. Did notice when we took her out earlier this week (it got to mid-50's for one day - today we have freezing rain, hail and 6' of snow in progress) that the seal around my driver door had just a little wind noise. It quit after half an hour or so - I assume it was just really cold when we started out and then it warmed up a bit. Good luck with whatever you choose - you will love it regardless - amazing car all the way around.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Boomer,

You said: "My non Z51 rides great and I would not want it any stiffer. I guess if I put it in sport or track mode I could get a stiffer ride"
I'm thinking the base non Z51 model mode won't change the ride characteristics due to lack of magnetic shocks? maybe someone could clear that up. I'm also wondering
if the (on manual trans) the 1-4 forced shift doesn't operate in some mode/s (sport or track?)

Here's my dilemma now I haven't been able to test drive a C7 due to weather and I'm of the same mind you are, just want a nice cruiser. Do you think I'd be happy with
the ride and interior noise / road noise level in the base non Z51?

I drove a 2013 convert. last year and didn't care for the ride, I'm hoping C7 is a big change? I'd like to put in my order but am still hesitant without a test ride....

I've decided on a Crystal Red 1LT / Black Int / 7 speed manual / Navi / Battery Protection / Cargo Shade. I'm still debating about the Z51 Spoiler and Performance exhaust
I just checked and I think your right that in the non Z51 model, mode won't change ride characteristics. It does affect steering, throttle progression and a coupla other things. Don't know the answer to your 1 to 4 force shift question. My trans is auto. The AFM acts in all modes and speeds with the auto and I like that aspect. AFM is operable only in eco mode on the manual. You will be happy with whatever you get. I got the performance exhaust and glad I did. See the last line on my post#12. Also I opted for the LT2. I like all of the extra features you get with it; better stereo sound system, heated & vented seats, cargo shade, heads up display (really cool) and more. The LT2 also has auto dimmed mirrors. I have this on my SRX and CTS and its great. I remember on my last vette because it sits low, your mirrors are at headlight level with other vehicles. I used to just point my outside and inside mirrors up as high as they would go out of sight at night to avoid the glare. Not a good technique for safe driving.

Your very wise putting this much research and thought into your purchase. Thats what I did and it lead me away from Z51.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts