Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully someone can advise on a solution to my problem brought about by putting in a new battery.

I have a 2016 Stingray LT Auto

We put a new Delco 770 CCA battery in on the weekend after the other went completely dead after not being used for 3 weeks and wouldn't charge up at all.

Car starts and runs fine, dash panel is fine, doors and windows operate fine, except now I have a problem associated with the tail lights which I didn't have prior to the change over.

The Left brake light works fine and normal as does the long 'third brake' light on the top of the boot lid. The left tail light doesn't work at all now. The left indicator works fine. But there's more !

The Right tail light doesn't work normally - it flashes on and off at different rates much like and emergency services emergency warning light does. The Right brake light doesn't work. The Right indicator works at the correct rate for 3 or 4 flashes and then goes nuts at a similar rate to the Right brake light.

The Right side rear red marker on the quarter panel wheel arch works fine. The Left side Quarter panel side light doesn't work at all now.

Left and Right white reverse lights work fine, no change there on both sides.

We have pulled the battery, given and hour or two 'rest' and then reinstalled the battery. No change. All the above still occurs.

We have gone over ALL connections on the battery, and all of the attachments that sit upon it.
We have taken the bumper off and checked all cables , connections, plugs to the tail lights and the boot emergency key lock. ALL are intact and firmly connected right back to the battery.

We don't have any codes - we had about 12 initially and have cleared all of them. We do have the engine warning light on - cleared that but its back on again and the code comes up as a body issue ( from my memory) which it had prior to us changing the battery.

Had the car to an auto electrical shop today and they couldnt find any thing - bumper off also but still nothing. They only advised get the 'BCM ' checked by someone who has the correct equipment to do so - they didn't have late model Chev gear as the Corvette is a special personal import here in Australia. We simply dont have the dealer infrastructure that you have in the USA.

Desperate for some experience and advice please. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
16,914 Posts
Did you check to ensure the small black wire was reconnected to the new battery

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim Automotive exterior

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Loose grounds can cause all kinds of weird problems. I doubt it will be this simple, but make sure the ground wire is clean and tight at both the battery end and the other end where it attaches to chassis ground.

Reactions: Roy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Loose grounds can cause all kinds of weird problems. I doubt it will be this simple, but make sure the ground wire is clean and tight at both the battery end and the other end where it attaches to chassis ground.
Thanks for the reply, yes all good and clean battery end, will double check the chassis/other end to make certain.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hopefully someone can advise on a solution to my problem brought about by putting in a new battery.

We put a new Delco 770 CCA battery in on the weekend after the other went completely dead after not being used for 3 weeks and wouldn't charge up at all.

Car starts and runs fine, dash panel is fine, doors and windows operate fine, except now I have a problem associated with the tail lights which I didn't have prior to the change over.

The Left brake light works fine and normal as does the long 'third brake' light on the top of the boot lid. The left tail light doesn't work at all now. The left indicator works fine. But there's more !

The Right tail light doesn't work normally - it flashes on and off at different rates much like and emergency services emergency warning light does. The Right brake light doesn't work. The Right indicator works at the correct rate for 3 or 4 flashes and then goes nuts at a similar rate to the Right brake light.

The Right side rear red marker on the quarter panel wheel arch works fine. The Left side Quarter panel side light doesn't work at all now.

We have pulled the battery, given and hour or two 'rest' and then reinstalled the battery. No change. All the above still occurs.

We have gone over ALL connections on the battery, and all of the attachments that sit upon it.
We have taken the bumper off and checked all cables , connections, plugs to the tail lights and the boot emergency key lock. ALL are intact and firmly connected right back to the battery.

We don't have any codes - we had about 12 initially and have cleared all of them. We do have the engine warning light on - cleared that but its back on again and the code comes up as a body issue ( from my memory) which it had prior to us changing the battery.

Had the car to an auto electrical shop today and they couldnt find any thing - bumper off also but still nothing. They only advised get the 'BCM ' checked by someone who has the correct equipment to do so - they didn't have late model Chev gear as the Corvette is a special personal import here in Australia. We simply dont have the dealer infrastructure that you have in the USA.

You should have had the Chevrolet Dealer install it. Trying to save a buck, see what happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No worries mate. I've followed JSVette write up on the change over. Had another bloke come over with his 'computer reader' and he pulled up a code that he has to go back to GM apparently to ascertain what it means . At this stage it refers to a BCM apparently. He seems to think it may be more because the car had to sit for a couple of weeks with the flat battery. Still happy for any advice available......

·
Registered
2 Posts
No worries mate. I've followed JSVette write up on the change over. Had another bloke come over with his 'computer reader' and he pulled up a code that he has to go back to GM apparently to ascertain what it means . At this stage it refers to a BCM apparently. He seems to think it may be more because the car had to sit for a couple of weeks with the flat battery. Still happy for any advice available......
A quick search on Google says if BCM is bad it'll activate dashboard warning and error lights. Also saw a video on there that shows how to test BCM. You may have already tried these paths ......

·
Registered
53 Posts

It sounds like a 'common' wire to the rear brake lights is impacted. I would suggest getting a service manual that has wiring diagrams and diagnostics and start the exciting steps of diagnostics. Alldata is my personal favorite and is the one we used in the industry. Do it Yourself Automotive Repair Information | ALLDATA DIY Hope that helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts