Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you leave a Battery Tender/CTEK connected to the car through the port in the hatch and then disconnect your battery will the tender continue to send power to the car so that all the settings will be retained or is this not recommended because of the danger of electric shock when removing battery and installing new one?

Wow, this is a long run on sentence!

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
I honestly don't know the answer to your question, but....

1. I suspect the answer is no. I'm not positive about the CTEK, but Battery Tender brand float chargers require a battery load to function properly. If there's no battery connected, or the battery is 100% dead, they won't provide any current. I've seen battery-powered units designed to plug into the cigarette lighter socket to do what you want.
2. Most of the settings on modern electronics are stored in non-volatile flash ROM, and won't be lost when you disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
No. Electronic chargers such as the Ctek require a voltage to work into to function. It will not develop voltage without being connected to a battery. This is, among other reasons, to keep the unit from cooking itself if the battery is shorted or so weak that it only has a volt or two across its terminals.

If you are trying to make sure there is voltage to the car computers while you change a battery, I would get one of the "booster" battery units used for jump starting. They typically have a 12 volt power port on them. You could get a cable with male 12 volt plugs on both ends, and connect the booster battery unit to the car through the car's rear 12 volt power port. Do this before you remove the car battery cables from the battery.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am installing a new battery, is there anything besides window indexing that I need to do? Any other information or hints are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I honestly don't know the answer to your question, but....

1. I suspect the answer is no. I'm not positive about the CTEK, but Battery Tender brand float chargers require a battery load to function properly. If there's no battery connected, or the battery is 100% dead, they won't provide any current. I've seen battery-powered units designed to plug into the cigarette lighter socket to do what you want.
2. Most of the settings on modern electronics are stored in non-volatile flash ROM, and won't be lost when you disconnect the battery.
Agree! I had nothing to reset after it was out for 1 hour!

I am installing a new battery, is there anything besides window indexing that I need to do? Any other information or hints are appreciated.
There are a few tricks. Here is a picture/text PDF that covers the key issues. http://netwelding.com/Battery_Issues.pdf

·
Registered
906 Posts
Don't know for sure if this works with the Corvette but I have watched them switch out batteries on my other newer car and they hook up power through the port under the dash used to diagnose and read the on board computer. This maintained all computer functions and radio info. On that car anyway. As i said, unknown if this also works for the Vette.

·
Registered
10,248 Posts
Don't know for sure if this works with the Corvette but I have watched them switch out batteries on my other newer car and they hook up power through the port under the dash used to diagnose and read the on board computer. This maintained all computer functions and radio info. On that car anyway. As i said, unknown if this also works for the Vette.
That is very interesting. What is that other car of yours on which you observed them powering the car through the OBD II port while changing your battery?

·
Registered
906 Posts
That is very interesting. What is that other car of yours on which you observed them powering the car through the OBD II port while changing your battery?
Infinity.QX

·
Registered
30 Posts
Update : I went to Advance Auto and they did plug into the obd port to maintain power during battery change. I had prepared for the old battery to be removed by pulling the carpet back and removing the snap on cover that is on the positive terminal. I was a little nervous about this, but the Advance guy was quite proficient with a wrench and the battery was changed in about 15 minutes. The new battery is 760 CCA AGM type and was 137.00 on sale via online purchase, that included 20% off. I probably could have done a warranty change at the dealer, but to much time wasted there. I only had to re - index the windows and all is great now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Update : I went to Advance Auto and they did plug into the obd port to maintain power during battery change. I had prepared for the old battery to be removed by pulling the carpet back and removing the snap on cover that is on the positive terminal. I was a little nervous about this, but the Advance guy was quite proficient with a wrench and the battery was changed in about 15 minutes. The new battery is 760 CCA AGM type and was 137.00 on sale via online purchase, that included 20% off. I probably could have done a warranty change at the dealer, but to much time wasted there. I only had to re - index the windows and all is great now. I forgot to mention it is a 36 month battery.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Update : I went to Advance Auto and they did plug into the obd port to maintain power during battery change. I had prepared for the old battery to be removed by pulling the carpet back and removing the snap on cover that is on the positive terminal. I was a little nervous about this, but the Advance guy was quite proficient with a wrench and the battery was changed in about 15 minutes. The new battery is 760 CCA AGM type and was 137.00 on sale via online purchase, that included 20% off. I probably could have done a warranty change at the dealer, but to much time wasted there. I only had to re - index the windows and all is great now. I forgot to mention it is a 36 month battery.
Good to hear.. I had a feeling it might work. Pretty simple fix for maintain the cars features while swapping out the battery. I'm sure the dealer charges an hour labor for that bit of knowledge when they do it...

·
Registered
30 Posts
After battery install I received the "lower passenger window" message. I assume the on board computer detected battery cable disconnect, that's just a guess.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Vettestings, just wondering what manufacturer and model number of AGM battery you purchased?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Vettestings, just wondering what manufacturer and model number of AGM battery you purchased?
Although you didn't ask, the AGM I used that was on sale for ~$130 was a Sears Diehard Model 50748.

Specs Compared to OEM:
CCA @ 0F: DieHard = 760; OEM = 565
20hr Ah: DieHard = 70; OEM = 70

·
Registered
922 Posts
My car walked me thru a few steps on the center gauge when I replaced the battery. Trunk would not work until I did what it asked. BTW, 36 month warranty for OEM battery is prorated not straight out. Your mileage may differ.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I disconnected the battery all the time on my Corvette for months at a time when I was traveling. All you ever lose is the window indexing and the height settings for the HUD. Apparently these two things are not held in non-volatile ram like the rest of the settings that don't need power. I've had my car disconnected for up to six weeks with no problems reconnecting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts