Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and found quite a few threads about batteries and when to replace and couldn't decide where to add this information. I thought it was a good map illustration of what general Battery Life Expectancy should be expected based on Geographical Zone Location.

I live in Michigan and my Battery was replaced about a month ago because she died and this Map is Spot on based on where I live because I died right around the 56 months.

My 2014 battery was first changed last month. My car also is used as a toy and nice weather driving and use the tender in winter months November - April/May.

I had about two hesitation starts in over about 45 days and then she died. The slight hesitation when starting was the warning sign that I ignored as I am one who tries to get the very maximum out of everything. If it is starting and working fine then I am not replacing so I had a great 5-yr run on the original battery and couldn't ask for more.

Based on this map I got exactly what I should have out of my battery here in Michigan.

I Hope this helps anyone with questions on Battery Life Expectancy!
1569910488880.png
about

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am knocking on wood while typing this, as I live in Florida and my battery now sits at 56 months old. My car is driven pretty regularly, but is kept in the garage. I travel for work and keep the Vette on the tender when out of town for more than a few days. I had them test it the last time I was in the shop a few months ago, and the dealership said it was “Good”.

I know the end is near.....just from a mental state to make sure I don’t get stuck on the road!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am knocking on wood while typing this, as I live in Florida and my battery now sits at 56 months old. My car is driven pretty regularly, but is kept in the garage. I travel for work and keep the Vette on the tender when out of town for more than a few days. I had them test it the last time I was in the shop a few months ago, and the dealership said it was “Good”.

I know the end is near.....just from a mental state to make sure I don’t get stuck on the road!
I consistently use a battery tender when my C7 is not driven for more than a few days. Is there any study to show how much longer battery life is extended by use of the tender? My battery is going on 60 months with no signs of failure. Should I replace it just to be safe?

·
Administrator
15,147 Posts
I consistently use a battery tender when my C7 is not driven for more than a few days. Is there any study to show how much longer battery life is extended by use of the tender? My battery is going on 60 months with no signs of failure. Should I replace it just to be safe?
I think there are too many variables to find a study that will predict battery life using a maintainer (like a CTEK). It would have to factor average ambient temp where car is kept, normal driving trips (city vs highway), type of battery (AGM vs wet), etc.
I would definitely recommend you take the preventative step and replace your 60 month old battery. Here is a write-up that should help https://www.stingrayforums.com/threads/redhot-gets-a-battery-for-her-upcoming-4th-birthday.62705/

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
Well, my C7 has been garaged in the San Francisco Bay Area of CA, and then the Piedmont area of NC. The color-coded map in this thread shows yellow for both areas: 41 months.

My battery started giving me trouble between 42 and 43 months after the date of manufacture of the C7, and I replaced it before it completely died.

I have a CTEK maintainer, and my car is driven about once per week in every season other than winter, and about once every two weeks (on average) in winter.

I realize mine is just one data point, but I am throwing it out there.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So, to Rodney's point, it seems that his experience is within what the map says whereas Rfong in the same area is getting longer from his battery. There will be variables unbeknownst to us where someone might get more or less time but I think the maps goal is a general benchmark and when you get more I would say that it's like living on borrowed time for sure .

Well, my C7 has been garaged in the San Francisco Bay Area of CA, and then the Piedmont area of NC. The color-coded map in this thread shows yellow for both areas: 41 months.

My battery started giving me trouble between 42 and 43 months after the date of manufacture of the C7, and I replaced it before it completely died.

I have a CTEK maintainer, and my car is driven about once per week in every season other than winter, and about once every two weeks (on average) in winter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I searched and found quite a few threads about batteries and when to replace and couldn't decide where to add this information. I thought it was a good map illustration of what general Battery Life Expectancy should be expected based on Geographical Zone Location.

I live in Michigan and my Battery was replaced about a month ago because she died and this Map is Spot on based on where I live because I died right around the 56 months.

My 2014 battery was first changed last month. My car also is used as a toy and nice weather driving and use the tender in winter months November - April/May.

I had about two hesitation starts in over about 45 days and then she died. The slight hesitation when starting was the warning sign that I ignored as I am one who tries to get the very maximum out of everything. If it is starting and working fine then I am not replacing so I had a great 5-yr run on the original battery and couldn't ask for more.

Based on this map I got exactly what I should have out of my battery here in Michigan.

I Hope this helps anyone with questions on Battery Life Expectancy! View attachment 276116 about
When you mentioned "Slight hesitation " when starting, did that include a "click, click" before it engaged? My 2016 is doing that and I'm wondering if it's a battery issue.
Thanks!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It wasn't really a click, It was more of the sound of the car trying to start with a little hesitation but started.

When you mentioned "Slight hesitation " when starting, did that include a "click, click" before it engaged? My 2016 is doing that and I'm wondering if it's a battery issue.
Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts

My C7 shares time between San Francisco and Montana so according to the chart the predicted life should be on the higher side.

Since my battery on the C7 was going on 5 years, I had the battery replaced by AAA who offer roadside visit and free labor for installation when buying a new battery, at less than dealer price, from them. Interestingly, the Tech tested the old battery and found it still had quite a bit of life in it. He said it was due to my battery tender routine.

But I replaced it anyway since I will be selling my C7 in the next few months because I have ordered at C8. A new battery can only be a plus for sales appeal.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow I have AAA but didn't of them when I changed my battery and they installed which is nice. How much for the battery through AAA? I paid $159 at dealer but I installed myself... I would have a tad more to have AAA deliver and install if it was reasonable.

My C7 shares time between San Francisco and Montana so according to the chart the predicted life should be on the higher side.

Since my battery on the C7 was going on 5 years, I had the battery replaced by AAA who offer roadside visit and free labor for installation when buying a new battery, at less than dealer price, from them. Interestingly, the Tech tested the old battery and found it still had quite a bit of life in it. He said it was due to my battery tender routine.

But I replaced it anyway since I will be selling my C7 in the next few months because I have ordered at C8. A new battery can only be a plus for sales appeal.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow I have AAA but didn't of them when I changed my battery and they installed which is nice. How much for the battery through AAA? I paid $159 at dealer but I installed myself... I would have a tad more to have AAA deliver and install if it was reasonable.
AAA charged $150 plus tax. They showed up at my home on time and did the job in one hour. I'm glad I had them install because they had all the special tools, (battery removal tool, long neck extensions on socket wrenches and battery testing equipment) to do the job. Includes a 3 year warranty.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been paying AAA for 40 yrs and really on used a handful of time and that is a benefit I would have used had I thought about it and thanks for sharing......

AAA charged $150 plus tax. They showed up at my home on time and did the job in one hour. I'm glad I had them install because they had all the special tools, (battery removal tool, long neck extensions on socket wrenches and battery testing equipment) to do the job. Includes a 3 year warranty.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I've been paying AAA for 40 yrs and really on used a handful of time and that is a benefit I would have used had I thought about it and thanks for sharing......
kgrant...thanks for decades of loyal membership to AAA. You helped pay for the recent battery replacement in my 2015 Silverado. lol

My battery died without notice in a restaurant parking lot. After frantically and mentally working through my options, I called AAA. The tech arrived in about 30 minutes, performed diagnoses checks and confirmed the battery was the fault. He then checked his parts pricing and told me that, unfortunately, I had one of the more expensive batteries. $172 and 20 minutes later, I was "up and running".

kgrant...as mentioned, thanks for being a long-time member. I had only received my membership card 8 days prior. :)

I feel like my first year has now paid for itself.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just joined AAA this past year myself. Had no idea about the battery replacement at the house!

I do know that even though the battery is testing good right now, it will be time to change it before a road trip scheduled next month. Thrilled it made it through 5 Florida summers!

·
Registered
7 Posts

Houston - bought Sept'15, garaged, 15000 miles, never on a charger, seems to be going strong after 48 months, whereas your map indicates only 30 months.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I ended up replacing the battery in my 2014 just a few days ago... it had not died, it was a preemptive replacement... driving from Wisconsin to The Villages, FL in a few days, and didn't want to deal with any issues. I have been a religious user of the factory maintainer. No telling how long the original would have lasted... it was working fine at SEVENTY (70!) months. Car will be driven year round now... it will be our "commuter" car (FL - WI)... no more winter storage. I went with one step up from the base (Batteries +) battery, was reading about Jeff's glass mat battery purchase, but at the last second decided to go with a std wet battery... I was scared by what I read about over charging these batteries... and figured how much longer could it last than my OEM batt? Paid $126.50 and it was installed free (I pulled the carpet back before going there). We'll see how long this one lasts, with winters in FL and summers in WI.

·
Administrator
15,147 Posts
I ended up replacing the battery in my 2014 just a few days ago... it had not died, it was a preemptive replacement... driving from Wisconsin to The Villages, FL in a few days, and didn't want to deal with any issues. I have been a religious user of the factory maintainer. No telling how long the original would have lasted... it was working fine at SEVENTY (70!) months. Car will be driven year round now... it will be our "commuter" car (FL - WI)... no more winter storage. I went with one step up from the base (Batteries +) battery, was reading about Jeff's glass mat battery purchase, but at the last second decided to go with a std wet battery... I was scared by what I read about over charging these batteries... and figured how much longer could it last than my OEM batt? Paid $126.50 and it was installed free (I pulled the carpet back before going there). We'll see how long this one lasts, with winters in FL and summers in WI.
I think that was a wise move. As to AGM overcharging- I have used them in 5 very different cars (including RedHot) for 15+ years, always maintained with versions of the CTEK charger, each charger has the * (or snowflake) setting specifically for use with AGMs and never had the first issue.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nice chart. OUR15 battery died suddenly in my garage at 56 months. Dealer wanted $185 plus tax for a 32 month replacement warranty battery. Went to NAPA and got a better warranty and higher CCA battery for $110 tax in. Replaced it at home and am happy. Shop around if you have the luxury.Failure on the road usually makes the repair people happier.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Anyone know what the original OEM battery is rated for months?
I believe the OEM battery is a 36 month battery. That's about what mine lasted too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts