Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't used my Corvette in a few weeks or more. a few weeks ago, I cranked it up but you could tell the battery was weak. Instead of letting it run awhile, I turned it off. now 2-3 weeks later, it's completely dead.
I have a few questions: 1) my battery is in my trunk. What raw metal do I use to put the negative lead to when jump starting? no real raw metal located back there. does this model come with a remote positive lead under the hood anywhere?
2) when I did hook it up to jump starting vehicle, at least my lights and stuff came on while connected, but when I tried to start the car, the starter was operating but would not turn over. can the battery be so dead that it can't jump start?
I have a 2016 that I bought a year ago and it has about 10,500 miles on it. I'm assuming this is the original battery, but 4 years sure doesn't seem very long-lasting on a car that hardly gets used. Advice?
Before the colder months hit, I used it about once per week, but once it got cooler, it has not been used very much at all.
Would really appreciate some help.

Thanks
Fly Guy

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Same thing happened to me with my 15 last year. I believe I used the hinge on the rear door as the negative. That is metal. Most of the members here replaced or will replace their OEM battery after 4 years. That's about all you get even though it is not used much. This may actually contribute since a daily driver would be charged by the alternator every day. I guess it just depends on the battery. I am in the Northeast so I use every chance I can to get it running and out of the garage. Luckily we had some 60 degree weather this weekend so she had a nice run early in the day and I took my wife to dinner later that night. Got a little rained on but it just gave me the chance to do a good driveway car wash on Sunday. Advice: get a new battery so that you don't have these problems and remember that there are so many electronics in our Stingrays, keeping the battery fully charged is always a good idea.

·
Administrator
15,882 Posts
I second Fireeagle's suggestions. Consider a new battery and use a CTEK maintainer when possible. This might be of value to you Installation of new C7 battery

·
Registered
997 Posts
Yes , definitely now that it's dead replace it and use the maintainer. C-tek or others can be used through the trunk receptacle. A lot has been said about the 4 year mark for replacement. Mine is on the maintainer anytime it's parked even if it's just for a couple of days. And i do not drive mine regularly so the maintainer is more important. And honestly i usually get a lot longer out of my automotive batteries or motorcycle batteries than 4 years. But with all the electronics in these machines and if you are not familiar with the history of the car replace it (the battery)and start over keeping it on the maintainer anytime it's not used for more then a few days.
JMO .

Reactions: TXAg92

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gentlemen, thank you very much.
one mite question, in the back of my trunk there is a cigarette receptacle. How do I hook a CTEK maintainer up using this?
mid rather not have to use the alligator clips. Thanks.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Very easily. Check on amazon and you will find plug and play cigarette lighter male end. Replaces the aligator clips with the correct attachment to use the receptacle.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
15,882 Posts
FlyGuy66, as 15snow-ray indicated, there is a dedicated CTEK accessory that attaches to the connector on the CTEK and has the proper end to plug directly into your trunk outlet. Note that you can not use the accessory in the front center of the Vette, it only has power when the car is running and for about 10 minutes after that.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Well there's dead, and then there's DEAD. It depends on how dead it is. If it's the original battery chances are you really killed it. You could plug in ANY battery charger to the rear port, (any lower amp, say less than 10 amp charger with fuse) and charge the battery back to being somewhat alive. Then you could go to the effort and get that battery load checked and see how dead it really is. (kinda like The Princess Bride, just "mostly dead..." or REALLY dead.) Chances are even Miracle Max can't save it. So buy a new battery, and pretty much any battery maintainer. I've used Battery Tenders (TM) for years with no issues at all. There is no reason to pay a Corvette tax and get a corvette branded maintainer unless you want too. All of them will do the job.

If you are handy at all, you can go and buy an accessory plug and cut it off, and solder the lead to whatever connector you want. I took an old alligator clip connecter that came with the BT's, cut off the clips and made my own lighter plug adaptor to the SAE connector on the BT. (yes I used an inline fuse and heat shrink insulation, and checked the polarity....)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts