Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that my thumb drive is illuminated when the car is off. I'm also leaving an ipod and iphone in the car overnight. Do all of these stay "on" when the car is off? What are the other components that continuously draw power? Just wondering how long the car can sit before thinking about attaching the charger.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
George; All the memory functions on this car require power to "remember". I can't comment with any authority on the thumb drive, or Ipod staying powered up, but I would not be surprised if they were. This car consumes a fair amount of power just sitting in the garage, that's why the use of a float charger is recommended.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
George; All the memory functions on this car require power to "remember". I can't comment with any authority on the thumb drive, or Ipod staying powered up, but I would not be surprised if they were. This car consumes a fair amount of power just sitting in the garage, that's why the use of a float charger is recommended.
Thanks. Glad I ordered one. When I know that I won't be driving for a few days, I'll plug 'er in.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
hate to sound like a know it all, but I teach this stuff every day. The car itself when turned off is not a energy vampire, it will sit without a charger for a few weeks with no problem. And all the power outlets go dead when you shut off so that won't drain them either.

In the early 2000's this was a problem because the technology was such that small amounts of current were need to hold the settings in the car - remember the yellow memory wire on radios to hold the pre-sets? - It was so bad pre-2004 that VW sent a solar charger on the dash to each dealer hooked up on the car so it would not drain during transportation and storage...when you sold the car you sent it back. BMW used to have to charge cars on the showroom floor all the time.

That all changed in about 2005 with non volatile memory on the car that held all the info when the power was down, much like any phone today holds it's setting even when dead....

The reason Chev makes a pkg for the vette is it's a hobby, and not a DD, many store this car in the winter. So unless you are storing or leaving your car for months in the cold, the batt system is not needed if it's a DD....sure a batt can be bad, but no need to be paranoid that the vette is unlike other cars and can't sit and will drain....

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I agree with Glen, there are numerous safeguards in place to prevent excessive battery drain. For example, direct from the manual:

Battery Power Protection
This vehicle has a feature to help prevent the battery from being
drained in case any of the following lamps are left on: vanity mirror
lamps, cargo lamps, reading lamps, or glove box lamps. If any of these
lamps are left on, they will automatically time-out after about
10 minutes. To reset it, all of the above lamps must be turned off or
the ignition turned on.

Exterior Lighting Battery Saver
The exterior lamps turn off about 10 minutes after the ignition is
turned off, if the parking lamps or headlamps have been manually left
on. This protects against draining the battery. To restart the 10-minute
timer, turn the exterior lamp control to the off position and then back to
the parking lamp or headlamp position.
To keep the lamps on for more than 10 minutes, the ignition must be in
the ACC/ACCESSORY or ON/RUN position.
And to his point, ALL settings within the car and the infotainment system are stored in non-volatile memory. You could disconnect the battery for a year and those setting will be retained, they cause no drain on the battery. OTOH, there are some systems that go into a passive or sleep mode but still draw power such as the keyless entry receiver. All in all there should be less than 0.01 Amps being consumed at rest and a car battery can sustain that load for weeks, if not months without issue. However, as said, if you are going to leave it parked for more than a week at a time then a float charger or battery maintainer is a wise investment.

Also, the Infotainment systems on the new GM's power up when the door is opened or the vehicle is unlocked with the keyfob. They also stay powered for up to 10 minutes after you shut down the car. It's highly likely that the USB ports are tied to this and also shut down with the radio. I guess the only way to test would be to leave the ipod or flash drive out where you can see it without opening the door or unlocking the vehicle to see if they power down with the radio.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
There are tons of threads across the web detailing the need for a back up charger for the last several generations of corvettes. If they are your DD, perhaps you will not need supplemental charging, however if they are going to stored any length of time a float charger is well advised.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
for the last several generations of corvettes.
My point exactly....they did not have non volatile ram...this one does...again, if it's your DD, no need for a charger....

·
Registered
104 Posts
There are tons of threads across the web detailing the need for a back up charger for the last several generations of corvettes. If they are your DD, perhaps you will not need supplemental charging, however if they are going to stored any length of time a float charger is well advised.
Chip, this C7 isn't like the previous 6 generations. Just saying!

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Not to be an a** about it but what's written on the Internet about past generations of Corvettes is really irrelevant to the 2014 C7.

I guess the ambiguity is the term "any length of time". For me, a vehicle that may sit for more than 2 weeks without use warrants a battery maintainer. If it's used weekly then a battery maintainer is a luxury, not a requirement. The C7 is no different than any other modern vehicle IMHO.

And don't get me wrong, I'm a battery charger whore. I have a 4 bank Battery Tender in the back garage, a 2 bank in the front garage and a 1 bank hooked up to the whole house generator. Every 12V starter battery I own has an SAE pigtail wired to it.

·
Administrator
16,583 Posts
Clearly it is up to each individual as to whether they use a float charger like the CTEK 3300 or not. As it has been stated several times, it is not necessary if this C7 is driven regularly for more than short distances (so all fluids are up to operating temperature and speed is such that the battery is charging vs short trips where the car doesn't reach operating temperatures, you may have your lights and other accessories such as windshield wipers, heater fan, seat heater or AC running). On the other hand if your car is used just on the weekends or less frequently, you can certainly benefit by using a float charger. It will keep you battery charged as well as most of them like the CTEK have disulphate cycles that will normally add longevity to your battery. Finally though I don't think anyone has mentioned it, idling your car in the garage for several minutes when you can't drive it (such as at times over the winter) will not charge the battery and probably do more harm to your engine and exhaust system than any good. :cool:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess the only way to test would be to leave the ipod or flash drive out where you can see it without opening the door or unlocking the vehicle to see if they power down with the radio.
I tried that...or I think I tried that. (Give me a break, I'm part of the fixed income crowd.) Anyway, I think I tried that last week and I saw the thumb lamp lit. I'm going to try again tonight, just make sure I didn't have a senior moment. For now, all responses lead me to believe I won't have any problems. Thanks all...again.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
A Deltran BatteryTender is another good one and it's made just down the road from me.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
873 Posts
Having the power outlets power down is new with the C7. I know from painful experience that the outlets on my '13 427 convertible stay live with car shut down. Leaving a Valentine One and an IPhone charger plugged in drained the battery in a couple days

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
31 Posts
If there is debate about whether the car has normal, high or low current draw. Someone could measure it. I would, but sadly my garage is void of the proper vehicle to the issue at hand. :(

Sent from my iPad using Corve

·
Administrator
16,583 Posts
I believe the cigarette lighter in the trunk stays active. If it didn't the factory charger wouldn't work.
Yes the accessory outlet at the back of the trunk remains live and is intended for the use of a battery maintainer.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts