Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 StingRay and I am going to be out of town for 3½ weeks. I would like to keep a battery tender on the car so that when I get home, hopefully the battery will not be dead. Is there any problem keeping the car plugged into the tender for that long?

Thanks,

Rocky

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
my C-tek stays in between shows about 3 weeks at a time. cutnout aka Charlie

Reactions: Rocky

·
Administrator
15,684 Posts
Rocky, absolutely no issues as long as you check a couple of things when you connect it. You said battery tender, do you mean the official battery maintainer from GM or the CTEK 3300 version (they manufacture it for GM) or similar unit that is a true chip controlled maintainer. Make sure that your connections are secure, that the maintainer is functioning correctly when you connect it (do it a day or so in advance to make sure it is cycling properly), and that you have it raised off the garage floor on some tiles or similar, so as to prevent any moisture from getting to it. Over the years I have had mine connected for up to 8 weeks without any issues.

Reactions: elegant and Rocky

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Rocky, I keep my GM battery tender plugged in during the winter months. I sit my tender on a white towel on the passenger seat, window slightly down plugged into the wall outlet. It cranks every time.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I use a CTEK MUS 4.3 and it is plugged in and running continuously from late November to mid-April

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
The only thing I did different, I got the charger off the ground. Had a small foot stool. Plastic. Took a 4by6 ceramic tile and glued it to the stool. Did that for heat even though it never has gotten hot. I am close to our "vette" door and want to keep it off the floor. Wind driven rain.

·
Administrator
15,684 Posts
is it normal for your battery tender to get really hot just after coupe hours of charging ?
If by really hot, you mean too hot to touch, probably not. Mine have gotten warm to fairly warm to the touch if the battery needs a charge.

Reactions: Milliwatt Rob

·
Registered
355 Posts
No problem leaving the Battery Tender connected continuously, days, weeks, months, it doesn't matter, it won't over-charge the battery. When my C7 is parked I always have the Battery Tender connected.

·
Administrator
15,684 Posts
I have left my 14 Stingray in the garage for up to 6 months with no tender during winter starts every time ?
that is a choice each owner can make, however, doing using a maintainer like the OEM or CTEK will normally result in longer battery life.

Reactions: bbrun

·
Registered
44 Posts
Parked with the OEM installed last November to March in my CarCapsule with no issues.... Full charge ready in the Spring. Plugged into trunk outlet with unit next to car on step stool so I could see the indicator lights. Never gets over hand warm for me.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I have left my 14 Stingray in the garage for up to 6 months with no tender during winter starts every time ?
This is incredible. Is garage heated?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I have left my 14 Stingray in the garage for up to 6 months with no tender during winter starts every time
Don't believe you mean it is not started for 6 months and cracks right over?! If fully charged it should have enough energy left in ~30 days to start the car but not much more!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts