41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
That draw would be under good weather temps
Hot and cold temps and the draw would be more and discharge quicker

Even if car is sitting 2-4 days using a tender is doing something else
and that is the reverse voltage flow cleans the cells and prolongs battery life
and why my 2 cars which have been on tenders for over 12 years and the batteries for both are still good working order

Also forgotten is people who only do short drives are not getting the battery charge as those who drive longer daily distances

And do not forget all the junk people may be leaving plugged on like a cell phone charger, Bluetooth devices, etc or worse devices like that AFM defeat that keeps waking other modules up adding a lot more current draw
So much so is GM has a TSB as they have caught on to such devices and says if found in car will effect warranty
The C7 is different than prior Vettes! Most power shuts down after 10 minutes! Leave an interior light on and it shuts down by itself! Plug your phone in the console receptivity and <10 minutes later if you leave the car it is shut down (actually in that case much sooner!) The steady state current draw is 30 to 40 millamps, per the Service Manual. I have a higher current draw in my ProStreet Rod and the only electronics it has are the sensor's waiting for me to press the remote for the electric door and window openers, the alarm system and whatever it takes to remember mileage etc in my digital dash and rear mounted stereo components that all have remote operation! But those manufacturers were not designing in the energy efficiency as did GM! I do keep a charger on it's Yellow Optima AGM battery as it mostly just goes to car shows!

Agree the battery life may be extended by charging but IMO plugging in a charger for a 2 to 4 day time none use period would be a PIA and not necessary!

I do not use a charger on my C7. It is used 3 to 4 days a week and when I drive it's usually 30 to 40 miles, not 2 miles to a local store (where I live there is no such option!) Have not used a charger in 3 years and been on vacation 3 or 4 times for ~ 2 1/2 weeks and the car starts fine!

I have been checking the battery voltage because it has been low voltage since the car was new. No doubt a weak cell(s) but the battery voltage has not changed and it was still working fine when I decided because of the low voltage to install and AGM before winter. The $133 I paid for the 35% more CCA capacity Sears DieHard than the OEM Delco was cheap insurance, IMO

Your Car Your Choice!

·
Registered
17 Posts
O.K. Now I need some help I bought the NOCO Genius G1100 6V/12V 1.1A UltraSafe Smart Battery Charger and when I put it on the car it says 25% I have two weeks until I hit me three years anniversary took it to dealer and they say battery is perfect won,t replace

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
So it finally got cold here and its been a week since I drove the C7 so I decided to put the battery tender on it. I have a old Schumacher maintainer I used on my 1989 Corvette that I've used on the C7 for the past coupla years and it seems to work fine. However, since its old it could fail (or last forever) and for safety's sake I'm wondering if I should spring for a new tender.

Looking at Amazon today I can get a CTEC MUS 4.3 8 step tender for $69 marked down from $85 with "only 17 left in stock". That would be far advanced technologically than what I'm now using.

I started this post to get input on whether I should get it but now that I've written this I think I have convinced myself to go for it. But rather than delete what I've written here are a coulpa Qs: Is the CTEK still whats generally recommended? Is this a good price? Are folks using the CTEK MUS 4.3 happy with it? Now that I've posted this will the 17 remaining be sold quickly? Comments/advice appreciated.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
So it finally got cold here and its been a week since I drove the C7 so I decided to put the battery tender on it. I have a old Schumacher maintainer I used on my 1989 Corvette that I've used on the C7 for the past coupla years and it seems to work fine. However, since its old it could fail (or last forever) and for safety's sake I'm wondering if I should spring for a new tender.

Looking at Amazon today I can get a CTEC MUS 4.3 8 step tender for $69 marked down from $85 with "only 17 left in stock". That would be far advanced technologically than what I'm now using.

I started this post to get input on whether I should get it but now that I've written this I think I have convinced myself to go for it. But rather than delete what I've written here are a coulpa Qs: Is the CTEK still whats generally recommended? Is this a good price? Are folks using the CTEK MUS 4.3 happy with it? Now that I've posted this will the 17 remaining be sold quickly? Comments/advice appreciated.
Hey Boomer, check out this post: http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/corvette-z06-build-section/15874-gathering-goodies-caroline-embarking-journey-change.html#post209022.

It is still working well.

Reactions: Boomer

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Great info Rodney. I'll keep that "Comfort Connect" issue in mind.

So its "You snooze, you lose" or "The early bird gets the worm" or whatever, but the "17 left in stock" have apparently been sold. They must be going fast. I suspected my post might spur some sales but who knows. Must be a good deal. However I was able to place the order for Dec 21 free delivery at the same price. Hopefully the Schumacher can hold out till then but the WX looks like I'll have some drive time between now and then anyway.

My fear is the antique Schumacher would fail to cycle and then "overcharge" and damage the battery. That thought kicked me over the edge to go for a new tender.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Rodney: I'm OK on that due to the configuration of the "lighter" plug I already have. It should accommodate the "eyelet" connectors fine.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
How do you guys route the cables? Partially open side window?
I just run it out the rear of the hatch. I put the hatch lid down, but do not latch it. The interior light in the hatch area goes off after about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
I just run it through the unlatched hatch. The accessory lights go out after ten minutes.

HA!! We doubled! I'll delete.
Ah, leave it. It can give a sense of how multiple people are doing similar things.

Reactions: STINGmole

·
Registered
10,284 Posts

·
Registered
10,284 Posts

Oh, Boomer, for what it is worth, I just logged into my workstation for the first time today, and looked up the price I paid for mine. It was $54.95 with free shipping from Amazon.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Oh, Boomer, for what it is worth, I just logged into my workstation for the first time today, and looked up the price I paid for mine. It was $54.95 with free shipping from Amazon.
Good Deal!

Rodney or anyone else: My CTEK 4.3 has arrived and I have a question. I installed it and it has cycled to stage #7 "Float". This is described as "Maintaining the battery voltage at maximum level by providing a constant voltage charge". I thought that providing a "constant voltage charge" would not be good for a battery and that a tender should just cycle to charge when needed. Guess I'm wrong on that?

The other question I have is if stage 7 does what it says, when would stage 8 ever be used? Sounds like stage 8 would operate the way I thought a battery maintainer would operate and "gives a pulse when necessary to keep the battery fully charged". I'm obviously missing something here.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Good Deal!

Rodney or anyone else: My CTEK 4.3 has arrived and I have a question. I installed it and it has cycled to stage #7 "Float". This is described as "Maintaining the battery voltage at maximum level by providing a constant voltage charge". I thought that providing a "constant voltage charge" would not be good for a battery and that a tender should just cycle to charge when needed. Guess I'm wrong on that?

The other question I have is if stage 7 does what it says, when would stage 8 ever be used? Sounds like stage 8 would operate the way I thought a battery maintainer would operate and "gives a pulse when necessary to keep the battery fully charged". I'm obviously missing something here.
Hey Boomer,

Differentiate between voltage and current. Constant current forced through the battery terminals would kill a battery (think of a trickle charger). Constant voltage of an appropriate magnitude between the battery terminals is good for the battery.

I think the documentation which came with the tender leaves so much to be desired. Frankly, I found it severely lacking.

I don't understand the differences between stage 7 and stage 8. In fact, in all of the months that I have had the tender, I have only seen it in stage 8 one time.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Thanks Rodney. Agree completely with your "documentation" comment. Also I paid attention to the "comfort connection" issue you mentioned. Initially I found it was way too easy for the connection to become separated but I was able to squeeze the "latch" into place to secure it.

I gotta believe the CTEK 4.3 won't damage the battery but it sure would be comforting to know what the deal is with Stage 7 vs Stage 8.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I believe Stage 8 starts after a couple weeks on the charger. I just hooked up my lawn tractor battery in the garage and am checking it each day to see when Stage 8 activates as it will be on the CTEK until the grass needs cutting.

·
Administrator
15,692 Posts
I believe Stage 8 starts after a couple weeks on the charger. I just hooked up my lawn tractor battery in the garage and am checking it each day to see when Stage 8 activates as it will be on the CTEK until the grass needs cutting.
That has been my experience with CTEK 4.3 on RedHot. Only have seen it go to stage 8 once and that was after a couple of weeks on it. Normally, just goes up to stage 7 and remains there. I have been using CTEKs for about 15 years on my cars (the 3300 before I upgraded to the 4.3) and have never had any issues. My experience is that it tends to extend battery life by about a year verses not using it.

Reactions: Boomer and rdslon01
41 - 60 of 92 Posts