Stingray Corvette Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Agree that the battery has probably given up the ghost. Bu float chargers like the 3300 don't put out enough current to bring a fully discharged battery back anyway. They're designed to maintain a battery that's close to full charge already.

Hope the issues that led to your hospitalization are all behind you now.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
If the battery is so flat that it is under 4 volts or so, the charger will not turn on. If you have a voltmeter, check it. If you see some voltage, you may be able to trick the charger into working by paralleling the battery with a 12 volt source, getting the charger going, and then disconnecting the parallel source. I have done this to get chargers going on senior citizen electric carts that had been out of service for a long while.

The chargers will not turn on if they do not see some voltage from the battery so that they do not try to "charge" a dead short.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm going to go with one of those X2 batteries from Batteries plus. I'm doing better and thanks for asking.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have been looking around for the info, and I am fairly certain I have this correct, but I bought the CTEK (56-158 MULTI US 3300 12 Volt Fully Automatic 4 Step Battery Charger) on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FQBWCY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now with this, I will also need the adapter for the outlet in the back, is that the CTEK (56-263 Comfort Connect Cig Plug): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016LA5O8/?coliid=I38KLUSDP1L736&colid=1N0XTLJ8KHWP7&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Sorry if I shouldn't post the link but I am trying to verify I got, and am getting, the right stuff

Thank you, and I apologize if I shouldn't post these links, as I said, I am just trying to make sure I get the right parts.

·
Administrator
15,684 Posts
I have been looking around for the info, and I am fairly certain I have this correct, but I bought the CTEK (56-158 MULTI US 3300 12 Volt Fully Automatic 4 Step Battery Charger) on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FQBWCY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now with this, I will also need the adapter for the outlet in the back, is that the CTEK (56-263 Comfort Connect Cig Plug): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016LA5O8/?coliid=I38KLUSDP1L736&colid=1N0XTLJ8KHWP7&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Sorry if I shouldn't post the link but I am trying to verify I got, and am getting, the right stuff

Thank you, and I apologize if I shouldn't post these links, as I said, I am just trying to make sure I get the right parts.
Yes, that will work perfectly on your c7 (just remember to use the outlet in the trunk, not the one in the center counsel, when you use it).

Reactions: Wildcat Birdie

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I had an interesting glitch recently with my GM battery tender (i.e., the factory "battery protection" option tender).

I plugged it into the trunk outlet, and instead of the solid green light I would expect to see, I had a flashing light. Thinking that the plug might have a bad connection in the socket, I turned the plug slowly, and the light turned solid green. I then plugged the tender into a power strip and all was good.

Two days later, something similar occurred, but turning the plug in the outlet did not resolve the problem. The lights were flashing, and plugging into the power strip also did nothing to resolve the issue.

I thought that either my trunk outlet or the battery tender was at fault, so I let the car sit without the tender attached.

Two days later I reattached the tender, and it worked normally. It has (by all appearances) been working normally for about a week now.

I think what may have happened is that we had a period of hot and humid weather during that time (90s with unusually high humidity) that may have fogged the electronics in the charger.

I'll keep an eye on it, and report if the charger finally craps out (I believe it's got a 5 year warranty, which will end in June of next year, but I do wonder how to exchange it...).

Reactions: Ateupjoe

·
Registered
970 Posts
I had an interesting glitch recently with my GM battery tender (i.e., the factory "battery protection" option tender).

I plugged it into the trunk outlet, and instead of the solid green light I would expect to see, I had a flashing light. Thinking that the plug might have a bad connection in the socket, I turned the plug slowly, and the light turned solid green. I then plugged the tender into a power strip and all was good.

Two days later, something similar occurred, but turning the plug in the outlet did not resolve the problem. The lights were flashing, and plugging into the power strip also did nothing to resolve the issue.

I thought that either my trunk outlet or the battery tender was at fault, so I let the car sit without the tender attached.

Two days later I reattached the tender, and it worked normally. It has (by all appearances) been working normally for about a week now.

I think what may have happened is that we had a period of hot and humid weather during that time (90s with unusually high humidity) that may have fogged the electronics in the charger.

I'll keep an eye on it, and report if the charger finally craps out (I believe it's got a 5 year warranty, which will end in June of next year, but I do wonder how to exchange it...).
May not work the same but i use the Smart Battery Tender in mine and when I first plug it in I get the flashing green lights meaning battery is at 85% after a few hours it turns to green. A solid amber on mine indicates "charging" Flashing amber signify improper connection.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the Corvette tender that I plug Into the outlet in the back. I just bought a 2020 Tahoe that has the same outlet in the back. Can I use my Corvette tender on my Tahoe using the same type outlet. Don‘t want to fry anything. Thanks..

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I have the Corvette tender that I plug Into the outlet in the back. I just bought a 2020 Tahoe that has the same outlet in the back. Can I use my Corvette tender on my Tahoe using the same type outlet. Don‘t want to fry anything. Thanks..
Sure, I bought the same CKET charger as the one with the Corvette logo from Amazon at half the price. CKET makes them for all cars and custom brands them for Porsche, Ferrari etc etc. Like the one for the Vette they have less options. The one I have requires pressing a button to set for a small motorcycle battery etc. Easy to do.

Don't feel bad about paying the GM price, Ferrari gets 3 times the GM price! Buy the way, same with wheel locks. McGard makes those with a GM logo on the package. Just looked up the price for a C8 and GM gets $90 and can buy the identical locks at a discount on the Net for <$25.

·
Administrator
15,684 Posts
As Jerry noted, the Corvette battery maintainer is made for them by CTEK. It will work well with any 12 volt system regardless of OEM. The only caution is to make sure that the Tahoe accessory outlet in the back is live after the engine is turned off (and the 10 minutes of standby power shuts off). Different vehicles have different set ups with the accessory plugs, with some having the one(s) in the cockpit live and ones in the trunk dead when the engine is off.

Reactions: Bobby V and Jerry U

·
Registered
2014 Z51 Coupe
40 Posts
I have used Battery Tender Plus units for 20 years. I've used them on everything from small MC batteries to mammothly huge "D" cell motorhome batteries and everything in-between. I swear by them. Never owned a CTEK. They may be ok but given my success with Battery Tender Plus's - I probably never will.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts