Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Z51 2LT 7MT Vert BSM/Adrenaline Red
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put my C7 Z51 into (off-site) storage with no access to power. I’m in the NC mountains, so when there are nice days and the roads are clean, clear and dry, I want to be able to drive it. I have the GM battery tender that goes into the cigarette port in the trunk, then plugs into an electrical outlet. My question is this: can I plug it into a jump box for power? My jump box has (2) 110V 400W outlets. Then when needed, I can just bring the jump box home to recharge it. ???

·
Registered
10,650 Posts
This question has been asked on here before.

The jump box isn't going to last nearly as long as you think it will until its battery dies.

You can do what you are thinking, but you will need to recharge that jump box regularly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This question has been asked on here before.

The jump box isn't going to last nearly as long as you think it will until its battery dies.

You can do what you are thinking, but you will need to recharge that jump box regularly.
Thanks so much. I did read that thread, but didn’t know if the Ryobi was a jump box and also didn’t see a real clear answer to OP’s question (at least when I last looked at the thread). Again, I really appreciate your response! ~Karen

·
Registered
10,650 Posts
Thanks so much. I did read that thread, but didn’t know if the Ryobi was a jump box and also didn’t see a real clear answer to OP’s question (at least when I last looked at the thread). Again, I really appreciate your response! ~Karen
The batteries in your jump box are probably different from the Ryobi he had, but the general idea is the same.

You could experiment and see how long they last.

On the other hand, if your jump box will last an entire charge cycle (which usually takes about 8 hours on my CTEK if the car battery isn't low [that is, driven within the last week or so]) then that jump box does put you in business.

That is, you could go once per week with a charged jump box, leave it overnight, and your car would be good to go the next morning. The parasitic draw on your car would surely be more than fine for a week. That is, you don't have to leave the car on charge the whole time...

To recap, if your jump box can run the CTEK for a full charge cycle, you really only would need to charge it once per week or so to keep your battery in good shape.

On the other hand, if your jump box can't last for as long as a CTEK charge cycle takes, then you, ... Well... You might have to compromise something, or come up with another idea.

For example, the car is technically okay to start after stage #4 on the CTEK; you really don't have to get it the whole way to stage #7, although that is preferred.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I’ll do just that: put it on the tender overnight once a week, powered by a fully charged jump box. Thanks so much for your input - I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have you looked at the solar powered battery tenders?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you looked at the solar powered battery tenders?
Yes, I did consider that. But this is a brand new storage facility and nothing is allowed outside of the unit. (We’ll have our garage built by next winter!)

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I am the OP above... ;) I am right there with you. I did try the Ryobi option, i feel like it ran (charged) for a day? I would bring fresh charged batteries when i would go back to storage but it was impossible to know how long the charge lasted. Like Rodney said, maybe that's enough... I like the idea of getting it a full charge once a week if possible. In the meantime i have moved mine into a rental that has power so no longer an issue here. With weather here being unseasonably nice and warm at least you can drive it for a while! Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your input, Frank. Yes, beautiful weather this week! Hoping it continues for awhile.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts