Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. New to the forum. My car has had a battery tender on it for couple months now. I start it up every couple weeks as its winter where I'm at. After shutting off the car this early this morning and putting the cover back on it I'm hearing a beep every 30 seconds roughly and cannot pin point its location. Any help appreciated. 2LT with 4800 miles. This is probably a easy answer for some. Jr

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
Welcome with your first post JR. A couple of thoughts: it is not beneficial and in fact harmful to just start your car up and idle it. The fluids don't get warmed up enough, the engine and exhaust system don't get that hot and as a result you are leaving condensate though out the system. Its better wait for a day when there isn't snow and or salt (if that is the case) on the roads and then take it out for a 30 or so minute run.
As to the beeping, are you locking the car after restarting it? If so, you may have left one of the areas open that is on your interior alarm, and that is the beeping you are hearing---or, do you leave your FOB in the car?

Reactions: Vigilance247

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks a bunch. I'm new to the Corvette world. This was my dads vehicle that I purchased and have lots to learn. That why I'm reaching out to you experts. I will leave this vehicle to sit idle until late March or early april and follow your advice which makes sense about condensation and such. Key fob does not stay in the vehicle and I do normally lock it after shutting down. I did use the remote start so maybe I'm missing some step

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would say it probably is an interior alarm. What sequence of steps should I take? I'll make sure and write this down for future use

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
I would say it probably is an interior alarm. What sequence of steps should I take? I'll make sure and write this down for future use
Not sure this will resolve it, but check that the glove box and center storage box is closed completely. How do you have the maintainer cord exiting the car? The best way is to crack the passenger window, run the cord from the back accessory outlet (the one in the center storage area/front of the car is not live once the car is turned off) out the passenger window to your wall outlet. If you left the trunk slightly ajar to run the cord, that would not allow the C7 to properly arm.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
  1. Was kinda bummed when I did a search and came up mt on this subject. Here are a few photos of my maintainer setup. Seemed to be no damage to the cable so I just ran from the rear of the car to my outlet. For now I have re routed trying your method from the rear to out the passenger window to outlet. Center and glove box was closed. Thanks jr

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
Hopefully it resolves the beeping issue.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I think you are on the right track with an interior alarm perhaps headlights on switch or key FOB left in the vehicle. In my case I run the battery maintainer out the rear trunk ( Vert) and leave the trunk ajar. No issue with beeps etc and the vehicle trunk lights go out in several seconds automatically. Make sure your headlights on switch is set to automatic and has not been inadvertently moved to manual mode leaving your headlights on after you turn it off.
And yes on the avoid the quick intermittent starts over the off season for the reasons mentioned. As hard as it is better to just leave it sit if your not able to get it up to operating temps.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I think you are on the right track with an interior alarm perhaps headlights on switch or key FOB left in the vehicle. In my case I run the battery maintainer out the rear trunk ( Vert) and leave the trunk ajar. No issue with beeps etc and the vehicle trunk lights go out in several seconds automatically. Make sure your headlights on switch is set to automatic and has not been inadvertently moved to manual mode leaving your headlights on after you turn it off.
And yes on the avoid the quick intermittent starts over the off season for the reasons mentioned. As hard as it is better to just leave it sit if your not able to get it up to operating temps.
I forgot to mention I do not lock or alarm my vehicle in the garage. There are several settings in the vehicles electronics system for automatic functions such as door locking and alarm arming so perhaps try and track down what dad had set into the car at some point. Check the vehicle manuals for the best way to change these settings for your use.
Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good stuff and food for thought. Was hoping when I woke up this morning it may have stopped. No such luck. I'll research your suggested steps above. Thanks good sir!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes it's gonna be tough not starting it every few weeks. But all makes sense as why it's not good for your stored vehicle. This is my first sports car and will probably be my last. My kids will inherit it. Still smells brand new on the inside. It'll be more like April b4 I can get it out. I live too far out in the country and the roads take awhile to clear up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No luck. I'm disconnecting the battery tomorrow. Lights are set to auto. The single chirp is every 30 seconds still.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Have you been able to verify status of features such as passive lock?
Very odd. Perhaps a phone call to your local Chevrolet dealer service Department is in order.
When you do get it figured out please share the fix.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. I tried to get I to vehicle settings b4 heading to work this morning. Vehicle has to be starting so gotta wait till tonight. Don't wanna wake the family up. I agree about chatting with dealer if this comes up mt. Definitely will keep you guys posted. I'm sure this was operator induced and messed something up when trying to remote start.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Very interesting... I know dumb suggestion but are you sure its your car? Could it be the tender or perhaps another low battery indicator in the garage? Sometimes it takes me an hour to locate the correct smoke detector that is pinging!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Definitely not a dumb question. I've totally removed the maintainer to help eliminate. You are correct it does somewhat sound like an smoke alarm but yet I have non in my garage lol.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Ok - have you backed the car out of the garage, shut the door and follow the beeping? If it's still coming from the vette it might be easier to isolate outside... and if its still in the garage well... then you can remove the car as the culprit!

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That thought just crossed my mind after last post. Definitely gonna try this as well. Gotta remove lots of ice or I'll never get it back in. Thanks

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Well there's always that problem... lol. Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can't move south. Married midwest farmers daughter's lol. But yepper I'll get that noise located soon.

I'm glad I joined this forum as there is a plethora of information and resources available.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts