Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is everyone going to Top Tier gas stations to fill up? What chain of stations are people finding have the best gas?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Raceway in Humble TX has quality gas (93 octane) at 3.20-3.30/gal. I've been using raceway for a while and never had an issue. Anyone else use raceway or had any issues with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
658 Posts
IMO there's no real difference is gas just go to busy stations so they go though fuel a lot, that way the fuel is fresher and less likely to have more water accumulate in the tanks.

·
Administrator
16,583 Posts
RedHot's gas diet when home is Costco premium 91 rated (low to no ethanol). On the road I try and find Costco and if not near where I am I then go to Chevron. FWIW I have never had any issue with Costco gas with respect to great mpg, 0-60 times, high end runs, etc. For the past couple of years Costco has had detergent additives similar to Chevron. :cool:

Reactions: smajicek

·
Registered
579 Posts
In Canada you can visit Chevron, Shell, Husky for 93/94octane.
Personally Use Chevron or Shell :cool:
Read shell 91 has no ethanol? unlike other.

Check this site US/Canada Octane ratings
http://pure-gas.org/

·
Registered
445 Posts
Just check for Ethanol content. By law they have to have it displayed on or near the pumps. Also, never fill up at a station that has the tanker there filling their tanks. When they are filling they stir up all of the sediment at the bottom of the tanks. While these tanks have filters, they very rarely if ever get replaced or cleaned. If it's an older station, you roll the dice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The difference between name brand gas and discount gas is the additives. Name brand has 2 quarts of additives ( mainly detergents) per 10,000 gallons that is not usually found in discount gas.

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,435 Posts
IMO there's no real difference is gas just go to busy stations so they go though fuel a lot, that way the fuel is fresher and less likely to have more water accumulate in the tanks.
Agree with the “buy from a station where they pump a lot” but now believe the Top Tier is more than hype! I bought the least expensive gas for my ’08 C6 but was concerned about the C7 owner’s manual comments and the direct injection in the C7. Started a Thread on another Forum asking if anyone was using the suggested GM additive “if you don’t use TOP Tier gas.” I did that because GM generally does not recommend any additives to oil, gas etc.
A fellow responded, who had a background in the area (and was retired with no reason to BS.) His reply was very interesting. He reinforced what I knew, gas comes to us in a pipeline, in our case, from Gulf Coast refineries-at that point it is the same either 87 or 91/93 octane. When it is put in the tank truck for delivery, the different additive packages are mixed in. There is a government minimum level but some have a lot more than that. That is how you get to Top Tier. He indicated he has looked at engines after 50,000 miles and there is a big visible difference in combustion chamber and valve build up. For the C7 I was buying about half my gas from Sam’s Club at about $0.30 to $0.40/gal less than the Top Tiers I tried. I bought some of the GM additive but it says add every oil change so that would be once a year for me! Didn’t sound right. This fellow agreed, it was best to have small amounts added continually.
Yesterday I looked around and found a Shell station on I95 that I often passed but never stopped. They were next to a large Petro Truck stop where they sell cheap gas. Sure enough, they were within a penny of the cheap high test gas price! It was close to Sam’s and I still received my Chase credit card 3% rebate with no cash price! Looks like the best of both-no need for the GM additive!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Just check for Ethanol content. By law they have to have it displayed on or near the pumps. Also, never fill up at a station that has the tanker there filling their tanks. When they are filling they stir up all of the sediment at the bottom of the tanks. While these tanks have filters, they very rarely if ever get replaced or cleaned. If it's an older station, you roll the dice.
Very interesting and logical point about stirring up the sediment.

Thanks for the tip.

Sent from mobile using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Pulled into Costco yesterday and noticed an advertisement that they are now certified Top Tier, ( I know in a post above jsvette states he fuels up at Costco but when I had looked up earlier Costco, there were not In the Top Tier website), anyway guess what car is featured on the sign at the gas pump?......... Why a TR C7! Just thought it was cool that they are using the C7 in their advertising.

·
Administrator
16,583 Posts
Pulled into Costco yesterday and noticed an advertisement that they are now certified Top Tier, ( I know is a post above jsvette states he fuels up at Costco but when had looked up earlier Costco was not I the Top Tier website), anyway guess what car is fetuses on the sign at the gas pump?......... Why a TR C7! Just thought it was cool that they are using the C7 in their advertising.
Thanks for posting. That explains why RedHot likes Costco so much :cool:

Reactions: Tom0021

·
Registered
810 Posts
About sediment: The gas stations around here do so much business, tankers refill them every other night or so. Exactly how long does it take for stirred up sediment to settle back down? Between the filter in the pump, and your vehicle's fuel filter, I'm inclined to believe it is not an issue.

As far as discount fuel vs. top tier, I was told once that the discount fuel is very likely the same fuel. Why? My understanding is whatever fuel the tanker is carrying leftover from their top tier delivery gets sold to the smaller mom & pop stations. This information has not been verified by me however.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've never bought into the "Top Tier" thing. I pass 5-6 gas stations on the way to work and note which has the lowest price and stop there on the way home. Usually it is a 7-Eleven that has 91 and 93 (and 3 other grades) and the 91 is normally ~10 cents/gal less. Why pay for 93 when the Owner Manual calls for 91?

My current C7 is my 8th Corvette and I've never had a fuel related failure, even when the C5/C6s were having fuel gauge troubles years ago.

·
Banned
631 Posts
The 2007 Stingray is direct injection. Makes no difference anymore if your using top tier or generic. No fuel additives touch the valves to keep them clean, and since injector PSI is now 2-3000 PSI (vs 45-55 of port injection) the injectors dont have a chance to build up any deposits. All fuel comes from the same bulk tanks or freighters (I live next to the Port of manatee, all brands fill at the same bulk dispensers). Just make sure it is 91-93 octane. If your running a C6,C5 then by all means ONLY use a top tier detergent additive fuel.

·
Registered
873 Posts
The 2007 Stingray is direct injection. Makes no difference anymore if your using top tier or generic. No fuel additives touch the valves to keep them clean, and since injector PSI is now 2-3000 PSI (vs 45-55 of port injection) the injectors dont have a chance to build up any deposits. All fuel comes from the same bulk tanks or freighters (I live next to the Port of manatee, all brands fill at the same bulk dispensers). Just make sure it is 91-93 octane. If your running a C6,C5 then by all means ONLY use a top tier detergent additive fuel.
2007????

·
Administrator
16,583 Posts
When I was filling up RedHot at Costco yesterday one of the people also filling up their car came over and said0 "hay your car is in the picture above the pump- way cool!" Sure enough in Costco's new pump placard there is a Torch Red C7 where they announce their gas is now Tier 1. Umm, top car for a top gas :D

Reactions: Tom0021
1 - 20 of 91 Posts