Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can folks share their thoughts on the best cruising roads in their territory. I assume all the great roads in the C7 review videos are closed . Looking for roads to cruise, not roads to open 'r up in excess of legal limits :rolleyes: Any suggestions for northern Westchester County NY/ lower Fairfield Ct

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
No, a lot of roads are open to the public. Quite a few reviews are done here in California. I recognize many of the locations including the Big Sur Coast, and Highway 9 in the Santa Cruz mountains.

CA Highway 1 is great all along the coast. It is best done North-to-South for many reasons, as outline on this site many months ago.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
New York route 97 along the Delaware River between Port Jervis and Hancock.

Vermont Route 100 from the Massachusetts line to the Canadian border.

a short run, NY 218, the Old Storm King Highway route, from West Point to Cornwall on Hudson

New York Route 301, Cold Spring to Carmel

New York Route 9D, from the Bear Mountain Bridge to Beacon

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
CA Highway 1 is great all along the coast. It is best done North-to-South for many reasons, as outline on this site many months ago.
Traveled Highway 1 from Cambria to my wife's Uncle's in Salinas about 1 1/2 weeks ago, what a PITA!! Too many vacationers that don't know how to use turnouts......could have used my dear departed Stingray!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Here in Colorado there are many. I suggest high altitude drives such as Mt. Evans which is just an hour from Denver. Once at the base of the mountain it is a slow windy trip but the view is spectacular. I believe there is a small fee of $ 10.00 per car, but the view once at the top at 14000 feet is something else. Also a drive through Rocky Mountain National Park. This drive west of Estes Park takes about 1 1/2 hrs from Denver to 12000 feet over the continental divide. Also a small fee but again, nothing compares to this drive.

I haven't received my C7 yet (production this week) but I'll drive these with the top off this fall.

A third drive is Pikes Peak west of Colorado Springs. Another 14000 ft drive.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Here in Western North Carolina I'm one hour or less from some of the Best: Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway and the Blue Ridge Parkway. The only thing we are missing, in my book, is the Pacific Coast Highway!

Reactions: elegant

·
18,669 Posts
Great suggestions. Lucky to have spiritedly driven several of them. Pacific Coast Highway, 101 can be, and is totally spectacular, except if you or your passenger don't like sharp cliffs, dropping off sometimes hundreds of feet to the ocean below, with parts of that road not having guard rails, and except if you get buried by slowing moving motor homes front of you.

Our western part of the USA favorite is Colorado, Rte. 550 from Durango to Montrose. Again, lots of no-guardrail, steep drop off sections, in fact some areas where taking hairpins curves over the mountain passes where 15-20 MPH is all that is safe. What spectacular views/scenery!!! (Not for wintertime in a Corvette!)

·
Registered
57 Posts
After we receive our Corvette we are leaving Montana to spend a couple of Days in Napa Valley then cut over to the Coast, spend a couple of days along the coast and visit the Hearst Castle and continue down to Newport then Hiway 395 to Truckee. Leave Truckee and finish the trip up Highway 93 thru Salmon, Idaho and back home to Bigfork, Montana.

No, a lot of roads are open to the public. Quite a few reviews are done here in California. I recognize many of the locations including the Big Sur Coast, and Highway 9 in the Santa Cruz mountains.

Reactions: tmcternan

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I like the road from Buffalo to Bennington Vt. I like stopping at Hemmings garage and at times there is a car show there. cutnout aka Charlie

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
After we receive our Corvette we are leaving Montana to spend a couple of Days in Napa Valley then cut over to the Coast, spend a couple of days along the coast and visit the Hearst Castle and continue down to Newport then Hiway 395 to Truckee. Leave Truckee and finish the trip up Highway 93 thru Salmon, Idaho and back home to Bigfork, Montana.
Try Hwy 1 (Coast Hwy) from SF to Morrow Bay where Hearst Castle is located if your coming from Napa. It's very scenic with lots of twisties along the way with lots of drop offs with the pacific ocean below. And imagine, the ocean is actually quite clean and beautiful along that route, unlike the green and smelly San Francisco Bay.

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Try Hwy 1 (Coast Hwy) from SF to Morrow Bay where Hearst Castle is located if your coming from Napa. It's very scenic with lots of twisties along the way with lots of drop offs with the pacific ocean below. And imagine, the ocean is actually quite clean and beautiful along that route, unlike the green and smelly San Francisco Bay.
That is great advice. From Napa, go west to 101, then south to the Golden Gate Bridge. Stay in the right-most lane, and take the absolute first right turn just a few yards beyond the toll booths. This will take you down Merchant Road to Lincoln Boulevard. Turn right and go down through Sea Cliff. When you get to 34th, you will bear left, and go to Geary. Turn right and bear slight right on Point Lobos at 40th. That become Great Highway at the Cliff House Restaurant (eat there!), and keep going south along the coast. Pass the SF Zoo (no, I am talking about the real zoo, not City Hall), merge right onto CA 35, and follow that south to CA 1. Follow CA 1 to Hearst Castle.

I have been in all 50 states, and driven many of the roads listed above in this thread, as well as many others. This country is blessed with much beautiful scenery.

However, for me, this is my favourite drive of them all.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Here in Western North Carolina I'm one hour or less from some of the Best: Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway and the Blue Ridge Parkway. The only thing we are missing, in my book, is the Pacific Coast Highway!
PCH is fun, but Malibu Canyon Road is spectacular (lived there for a couple of years). Here in Texas just some great straight runs with no cars near you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Highway 24 in Wyoming from the Black Hills National Forest through Hulett WY. to Devils tower. Long windy roads, panoramic views, in spots you can see the road winding through the mountains for up to 3 to 3 1/2 miles. 100_5086.JPG 100_5088.JPG 100_5089.JPG 100_5097.JPG

1 - 15 of 15 Posts