Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I just got my Torch Red z51 last week. I really wanted red calipers but the car came with black ones. I am very new to nice cars and don't want to mess anything up going too cheap but also cant spend more than $500 on this change.

Do you guys recommend to get them Powder coated or buy the Red Caliper covers?

·
Administrator
16,914 Posts
Welcome to our forum rnathani91 and congrats on your TRZ51! It is not that difficult to paint your calipers yourself; there have been some discussions on our forum that should show up using our Advanced Search function. You can also do a on line search. IMO the after-market caliper covers that go over (not replace) the OEM Brembos do not look good.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Powder coating is the best way but Calipers have to come off. G2 brake paint works well and calipers can be painted right on the car, corvette decals at ebay.

no covers, they look cheap and put the wheel too close to the caliper.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Pretty much any 500* paint will work. I used paint for a motor on the calipers on my 2002 SS Camaro. Lasted over 12 years and 100k miles. High temp primer and then high temp paint with some high temp clear. Probably going to do the same some day on the C7 since I also have black calipers.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I did mine in orange and they really stand out.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Looks great Reefdiver! How did you keep the Corvette logo, did you use a stencil?

Pretty much any 500* paint will work. I used paint for a motor on the calipers on my 2002 SS Camaro. Lasted over 12 years and 100k miles. High temp primer and then high temp paint with some high temp clear. Probably going to do the same some day on the C7 since I also have black calipers.
Would you need to remove the black paint, or paint the primer directly over the black on the calipers. Would you say your painted job is nearly as good as powder coated?

·
Registered
353 Posts
In my experience the caliper paint kits come with a brush to apply the paint. Cannot match a spray on finish or powder coating IMO. I guess you could get a rattle can of high temp engine paint, mask off the calipers and paint. Would be better to remove the caliper from the bracket and paint it there (don't let the weight of the caliper hang on the brake hose).
Alan

·
Registered
633 Posts
Trade someone who wants black & has red.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Would you need to remove the black paint, or paint the primer directly over the black on the calipers. Would you say your painted job is nearly as good as powder coated?
I don't think you would need to remove the existing paint unless it is peeling. I scuffed the calipers with some sandpaper, maybe 220 grit or so. Then primed, painted and cleared. I removed them from the bracket but left the brake line attached using wire to support the calipers so they did not hang by the brake line. Masked pretty much everything in the area at the same time. I use spray cans not brushes. The Camaro on the caliper is a sticker that I applied in between clear coats 2 and 3. I probably should have sanded/ground the caliper a little more to smooth it out but I figured with the wheel in place it wouldn't matter much. Attached is a before and after.

Auto part Disc brake Vehicle brake Brake Rotor

Auto part Disc brake Vehicle brake Brake Rotor

·
18,670 Posts
Beautiful job Poltergeist!!!

Love this place. Some many "right on," accurate suggestions and comments!!! Caliper covers have been tried by at least two vendors, and I "third" the assessment they do not look right.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts