Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at Carlisle I spoke with one of the GM engineers from the plant about the quality of the paint some have been seeing particularly around the orange peel.

He said they were of course aware of the issue. The problem he said was the composite materials they use for the body panels is very porous so when they paint the car the paint is sort of sucked in creating the orange peel you see (that's why you don't see it so much on metal cars). Over the last few months they have been trying to correct this as much as possible. One thing they have been trying is doing a double priming which I guess would fill in as much of those holes as much as possible before painting.

So over time I'm hoping we'll see better paint jobs coming out of the plant.

Also note since the hood is carbon fiber the paint job should be a lot better on the hood.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The hood on mine looks great, orange peel is very noticeable on the rear panels. This on a premium paint job, Crystal Red. Kinda sucks but what can you do, love the car and so it seems others do as well.

I have never had a car that got so many compliments and I have had some nice cars, had a women in a Jeep following me into a parking lot yesterday specifically to find what kind of car it was exclaiming it was the most beautiful car she had ever seen, she said it looks like it came from a James Bond movie. That's the second movie comment I have had, another one thought it looked like it was from a Transformers movie. Starting to get used to people taking pics with their phones in parking lots, had a guy do a video with his iPhone on a hiway last week starting when he was behind me (he was the passenger) then give me a thumbs up as he passed by. I get a lot of thumbs up from other drivers and pedestrians. Amazing reaction to this car so the orange peel seems not to matter that much.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Orange peel only matters to car guys and the owner, yes , the design is overpowering and why non car guys think it's spectacular. But we should never confuse deign with build execution.....would you really like to "overlook" this if it was yours?

·
Registered
817 Posts
My wife and I were at Carlisle the last 3 days. To be honest, the orange peel of the 2014's (and earlier) was significant. Up close, it is NOT a great paint job. From a distance, the cars looks great! It is wonderful GM realizes the paint isn't great and is focusing on improvements. In the meantime, I accept it for what it is...and will gladly take delivery on my C7 Z06!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I totally appreciate anything GM does to correct any problem. I think what frustrates people is when they think a manufacturer ignores obvious issues and does nothing to correct them. Redc7, thank you for asking on our behalf about the orange peel and sharing. Allot can be accomplished through open dialog and that's what you provided to us.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I totally appreciate anything GM does to correct any problem. I think what frustrates people is when they think a manufacturer ignores obvious issues and does nothing to correct them. Redc7, thank you for asking on our behalf about the orange peel and sharing. Allot can be accomplished through open dialog and that's what you provided to us.
Yes, thank you, Redc7, for asking about this. I plan to do the same this week during the NCM Anniversary Celebration (will be presenting the petition and comments from the petition). Thanks, again!

·
Registered
419 Posts
So at Carlisle I spoke with one of the GM engineers from the plant about the quality of the paint some have been seeing particularly around the orange peel.

He said they were of course aware of the issue. The problem he said was the composite materials they use for the body panels is very porous so when they paint the car the paint is sort of sucked in creating the orange peel you see (that's why you don't see it so much on metal cars). Over the last few months they have been trying to correct this as much as possible. One thing they have been trying is doing a double priming which I guess would fill in as much of those holes as much as possible before painting.

Also note since the hood is carbon fiber the paint job should be a lot better on the hood.
Since GM is aware of the issue, should they not offer some type of remuneration to the loyal customers who took a chance on the 2014?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I can see it now, as the announcers are describing a "vintage" C7 at the Barrett Jackson auction in 2054, "This is a pristine 2014 survivor, never restored". "How can you tell"? "Just look at the OP, it's certainly not a re-paint".

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
If its a yellow or green car, is it lemon or lime peel?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Since GM is aware of the issue, should they not offer some type of remuneration to the loyal customers who took a chance on the 2014?

no....

·
Registered
184 Posts
I can see it now, as the announcers are describing a "vintage" C7 at the Barrett Jackson auction in 2054, "This is a pristine 2014 survivor, never restored". "How can you tell"? "Just look at the OP, it's certainly not a re-paint".
That's funny ! Maybe it will become a nostalgia thing, remember those 2014's with all that orange peel, ahhhh the good old days :)

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Ducati motorcycles used to have orange peel paint jobs. Defenders of the Ducati used to say that was because the manufacturer concentrated on the performance, and not the paint.

·
Registered
192 Posts
While it's clear that some C7 owners have had issues with orange peel, I have to say that the finish on my LMG C7 is very good. I had it at a local cruise in recently and everyone kept asking what I had done to the paint to make it so smooth and shiny -- did it wet sand or what? Answer is nothing -- except for a good coat of polish and was she's OEM all the way. It doesn't mean much, but I just wanted to share that it's not all bad news on the paint front.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
my LRG needed a wet sand, 20 hours and work by hand by an expert... and it's now at an acceptable level on the body panels you see everyday. Places where you don't look, spoiler, mirrors, inside of door frame, remind me how bad it was at delivery.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts

Did you happen to ask them about the nav system problems?--Bob

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I still don't buy the "plastic is porus" excuse totally...why? Because as some posted here, some look great!! It's how variable the paint jobs are from one vin to another that makes this a bad situation. If the plastic was porus, or what ever , then NONE of them would look good. And some clearly do, right from BG.....

This is what I would have asked at Carlisle or in future events......

·
Registered
755 Posts
Hi C7driverOnt & Redc7:

I just want you to know that I get the same things no matter where I go. I love the car and the look of it just sets a whole lot of things in motion when people are around. I have had it 8 weeks and have put in 3 Show and Shines and it is by far the most looked at and photographed of all the cars. I was kept so busy at one that I started to lose my voice from talking and answering questions. The one problem has been the dissappointment people express when I tell them of the constraints and how long it can take to get one and that there are probably none available at this time. I too experinece the paint issue but have accepted it as part of the 2014's future legasy. At my age I have decided that this will probably be my last purchase of a Corvette and will keep it until whatever that day is.

STUNG:cool:

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I still don't buy the "plastic is porus" excuse totally...why? Because as some posted here, some look great!! It's how variable the paint jobs are from one vin to another that makes this a bad situation. If the plastic was porus, or what ever , then NONE of them would look good. And some clearly do, right from BG.....

This is what I would have asked at Carlisle or in future events......
So you're right that might be the only issue. The other issue I heard is because this is a production car (meaning they have to keep them moving and dry them fast) the paint cures too fast and the reducer evaporates out before the clear can cure while it's still smooth.

Another interesting read on this: PeterMJ's Corvette C7 Stingray Exposed: Corvette C7 paint orange peel

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.