Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody mentioned on one of our thread that the Bowling Green Corvette Plant is closed this week. A) Is this true? & B) Why?

·
Administrator
16,278 Posts
I would try to find a viable source. When I looked at the Museum cams today there were 8 deliveries and lots of people. Part of the delivery is the Plant tours. :cool:

·
18,669 Posts
The Assembly Plant was closed last Thursday, Friday and yesterday (Monday). GM did not disclose the reason why, though more than a few have speculated that the reason was the plant was "test running" 2015 wide-bodied Z's down the line.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Or doing some final mods for convertible? Would be curious to find out more info

·
18,669 Posts
Scottsdaledave, also curious as to why visitors were excluded from the plant for three days. Never heard your possible reason floated before, but it could be why that happened. Why I lean toward the former reason of wide bodied "mule" Z's being test run, is that folks doing Museum Delivery plant tours have reported convertibles going down the line for a few weeks, and if they were modifying some equipment or process, why would plant personnel care if visitors saw convertible assembly, or equipment modification going on (especially as Plant Manager publicly confirmed, as he did on a video about a week ago, that test assembly of convertibles is going on right now).

Again, you may be correct, and I doubt we will probably never know the real reason why visitors were excluded for three days, days when the assembly line keep on going. The good news is that public plant tours resumed today.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Scottsdaledave, also curious as to why visitors were excluded from the plant for three days. Never heard your possible reason floated before, but it could be why that happened. Why I lean toward the former reason of wide bodied "mule" Z's being test run, is that folks doing Museum Delivery plant tours have reported convertibles going down the line for a few weeks, and if they were modifying some equipment or process, why would plant personnel care if visitors saw convertible assembly, or equipment modification going on (especially as Plant Manager publicly confirmed, as he did on a video about a week ago, that test assembly of convertibles is going on right now).

Again, you may be correct, and I doubt we will probably never know the real reason why visitors were excluded for three days, days when the assembly line keep on going. The good news is that public plant tours resumed today.
The plant wasn't closed. I was there on Thursday and Friday of last week doing my buyer's tour and there were several people doing the museum delivery who stopped by for their VIP tours. The public tours were closed though. Sorry to say. No test runs of Z cars. There were a few completed Verts but none on the assembly line.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts