Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Stingray [non Z51] has the bimode exhaust. Most of the time in city driving I leave it in the Sport mode because I like the exhaust note. This time I thought I would try the touring mode because it would be a change to a quieter exhaust. After stopping at a light I gave it a little more throttle than usual and noticed the exhaust had a deeper growl like when it is in Sport or Track mode. I thought that the baffles probably open when you give it more throttle. Does anybody know if this is what happens. Thanks

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
From one native Kentuckian to a present Kentucky resident, I think you are correct, sir.

·
Registered
131 Posts
darn, I wish I'd ordered the bi exhaust... I feel like I can't hear the exhaust at all. Anyone know if its possible to order the parts and retrofit the bi-mode system in?

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
darn, I wish I'd ordered the bi exhaust... I feel like I can't hear the exhaust at all. Anyone know if its possible to order the parts and retrofit the bi-mode system in?
That has been asked many times. The general consensus is the cost of buying the parts, plus wiring, plus electronic control modules, plus installation costs, is probably more than just selling your car and buying another car just like you want it.

I don't know, but this is what others have been saying. If you stop to think about it, it makes sense (at least to me). Of course, I could be wrong. Have you asked your dealership's service department manager?

·
18,669 Posts
Could it be done? Probably.
Has any one done it yet? No.
Would it be hideously expensive and difficult? Yes.

Would it make more sense to now go aftermarket to get the louder sound you want? Yes.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Could it be done? Probably.
Has any one done it yet? No.
Would it be hideously expensive and difficult? Yes.

Would it make more sense to now go aftermarket to get the louder sound you want? Yes.
Thanks guys, good advice. I'll take some time and look at the various aftermarket exhaust systems. I'm guessing that most of them have a 'button' for open and loud versus closed and quiet. I kind of liked the way the npp system was tied into the various driving modes but my early price protected order didn't really allow me to change my mind and add npp even though I tried. When I found out my LRG color was going to disappear I had to choose between my color I wanted and my nice price on the original order, or altering the order and waiting for 2015 with no real idea how much more money I'd end up paying for a car in a color I wasn't in love with.

At any rate, a more distinctive exhaust system sounds like a fun mod.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My normal ops for my DD is the default Touring mode. I think it's a perfect blend of old school Corvette and a modern day sports car. And I think the lighter steering is perfect for slower congested city stop and go driving.

However when I've taken it out on country roads I select Track Mode and enjoy a vastly different Corvette experience. I think the steering in Sport/Track is just too heavy for slower city driving.

I like being able to "tune" the car to my driving situation/needs. But the bi-mode exhaust in Touring has it's own charm I could live as is if that was the only exhaust on the car. But if truth be known I ordered the bi-mode exhaust just for the BIG 4" tips. But now I find I like the system in any mode. Best $1195 spent on any Corvette option ever.

Tom
LRG ZF1 coupe (probably first ZF1 built)

·
Registered
922 Posts
$1,200 for the extra 5 hp/ftlb, nope. $1,200 for the tunable sound, oh HELL YES!!

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
$1,200 for the extra 5 hp/ftlb, nope. $1,200 for the tunable sound, oh HELL YES!!

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum
its far more the 5 hp,it is integrated to the car thru the entire info system, I'd much rather have that, than "MORE GROWL"....LOL

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
docMonty I got a new Mid-America MW catalog the other day and they have C7 exhausts. I would think you wouldn't have to push any buttons, that it would work like the stock bimode system when you change the driving mode. But whoever sells them should know.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Just do like I'm going to do,go aftermarket.Also if you get on it quite A bit it will get A little louder.Someone said stickA metal rod up the tail pipes,open up the muffler.i have no idea if it will work

·
Registered
184 Posts
I didn't come anywhere near giving it FULL ACELERATION and it had a growl.

Mine has been doing the same, about 1/2 throttle will do from a stop to get it growling in Touring mode. Quiets right down around 30 mph though.

I love the sound when you start it up, that first growl on start up is impressive.

·
Registered
952 Posts
....and your point is...????? growling is good....

·
Registered
184 Posts
There is actually a setting that can impact the sound of your exhaust, at the home page on your infotainment system select "Settings", then choose "Driving Mode", then choose "Engine Sound Management" then choose "Auto Mode" if you want the softer sound in Tour, Eco or Weather if you switch it to "Off" at this point then you will get the growl across all the modes.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
There is actually a setting that can impact the sound of your exhaust, at the home page on your infotainment system select "Settings", then choose "Driving Mode", then choose "Engine Sound Management" then choose "Auto Mode" if you want the softer sound in Tour, Eco or Weather if you switch it to "Off" at this point then you will get the growl across all the modes.
only if you have the NPP option, some are thinking this setting works on all cars - it does not, but the option in the display is there on every car, regardless of options......without NPP, it switches nothing....

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Growing up in the 50's left me somewhat back in the future. Yall see I have a serious complaint about the NPP. When I put in in sport and it opens--flames just don't shoot out. I miss that. (my attempt at humor) cutnout aka Charlie

PS I had better look for my J.C. Whitney catalog.

·
Administrator
16,282 Posts
Growing up in the 50's left me somewhat back in the future. Yall see I have a serious complaint about the NPP. When I put in in sport and it opens--flames just don't shoot out. I miss that. (my attempt at humor) cutnout aka Charlie

PS I had better look for my J.C. Whitney catalog.
I seem to recall some aftermarket kits that in fact do allow you to have flames shoot out Charlie. Need to search a little harder to achieve your dream :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Growing up in the 50's left me somewhat back in the future. Yall see I have a serious complaint about the NPP. When I put in in sport and it opens--flames just don't shoot out.
Here you go - direct from JC Whitney. In addition to being "wicked cool" the flames work well against those annoying tailgaters.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts