Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I apologize if this is not the right section but I couldn't find a track or racing forum to post too, unless I just flat missed it.

OK, the 2017 Big Bend Open Road Race is this coming Saturday, YES in 7 days!! Whose in?

I am running this for my second year and I will be in the 110mph class. Last year, Bonnie and I were rookies and did the 100mph class. We had a blast. This year is the race's 20th year anniversary so it should be more than fun as it was already F-U-N.

Today I started getting ready and want to thank Lobsterroboto for ALL the help in directing me to some gadgets and toys I need to take it to the next level. If you are not familiar with the race, it is an open road race from point A to point B at a specific speed class. Each class has an official time for the 2 way 59 mile run. The objective is to run the course as close to the official time as possible. The winners are determined by the absolute value of the racers time difference off the official time. Example: 110mph class official time is 64 minutes and 22 seconds. Lets say I run it in 64 minutes and 23 seconds, then my difference is 1 second. Last years 1-5 placements in this class were all under 1 second differential! WHEW this is going to be tuff.....but I just can't run 59 miles at last years 100mph LOL.

The race is 2 legs of 59 miles....leg 1 in 32: 11, take lunch break, turn around, come back 59 miles.

Here are some things I got today again thanks to Lobsterroboto (and indirectly SRF as I wouldn't have met him without the forum):

1. 1 of: Stainless Steel Tether Lanyard - 30 Inch - for Gopro Hero 5 Black, Session, Hero 4, Session, Black, Silver, Hero+ LCD, 3+, 3, 2, 1 – Customizable – 1 Lanyard / 4 Metal Tubes / 1 Shrinkable Tube
  2. 1 of: RAM Mount Cradle f/Apple iPhone 6 Plus
  3. 1 of: GoPoint Technology 9105 BT1 Auxiliary Input Adapters (ODBII device)
  4. 1 of: GOMA Industries Suction Cup Car Mount for GoPro Hero5// Session Hero4 Hero3 All Gopro Cameras and camcorders SJcam SJ4000, SJ5000, Garmin Virbx, xiaomi Yi Bundled with Safety Tether and Protective Bag
Since my GS doesn't have the PDR I wanted to make sure I captured all the cars data and that is what the GoPoint input does. Now I just need to go get Harry's Lap Timer and have it sync via Bluetooth to the iPhone 6 to capture all my cars data from the GoPoint. Well at least I think thats how it all should work.

The lanyards are required per the BBORR race rules if using suction cups. My GoPro will be hung from under the rear view mirror or the top as I haven't quite decided and will play with it Thursday and Friday to get a perfect picture. I am NOT sure if I can run Harry's Latimer on the iPhone 6 and at the same time video the race, so I may just have one video from the GoPro. Anyone have ideas on this as I am wide open.

My wife uses an old school timer to check off our progress. My wife's stop watch counts UP to 64 mins 22 seconds and she calls out mile markers, bridges, gates along the way to keep me on target as those items are logged on a timesheet. This helps me gauge my speed and timing and I will have my iPhone 5 on a Belkin mount to use as a countdown timer meaning, I will set the timer on the phone for 64 mins and 22 seconds and it will count DOWN to ZERO so that in theory I should be crossing the finish line as it turns to -0-! Thats the plan and I'm sticking to it. (unless veterans show me a better way)

Questions for the forum:
1. I would like to know if I could ALSO use the Laptimer feature on the car for the race? Anyone have ideas on that?
2. Where should I mount the GoPro?
3. Where should I mount the iPhone 6 IF I can record video and run Harry's LapTimer app at the same time?

Feel free to give us pointers as we would really like to place again this year!

Lastly - if anyone else is going, PM me, we would love to meetup as we will be traveling Thursday out there from Ft Worth area.

Thanks,
Bryan

PS: Thanks to Criswell Chevrolet and Mike Furman for the recent deals on the vettes.....can't wait to see how this car holds the road over my Z51. ;)

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can one of the admins move this to the Racing forum? I didn't see this originally when I was looking.....now I see a racing forum. My bad guys.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And change the title to Big not bog? That's what I get for being in such a hurry to post.

·
Administrator
15,423 Posts

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Alright, left this morning for the 385 mile drive out to Fort Stockton, TX. We took the scenic route (vs I-20) which the location app actually said was the fastest route....US 67. Straight shot. Great drive. We did have 1 rock come flying at us like a missile and it hit the windshield very hard and left a mark. I will try to get a good photo of it. We got checked in at the hotel but didn't make our tech inspection.....we will do that in the morning. Then we cruised to Wally World to get the candy for the annual race parade tomorrow afternoon, plus water and few other items.

Then we headed straight for the car wash as the car was filthy. She got a great bath, then power dried off too. She loved that!!

Now, I am truly bummed because my GO Point Technology OBDII bluetooth device did NOT show up until 11:45AM TODAY! That's one day to short. When I ordered it on the BIG A, Prime said it would arrive Wednesday. Man, I wanted to have the cars vitals captured in this race. Is there another device I can get at O'Reillys to use instead? Lobsterroboto you got any ideas here? I was going to bluetooth that device into Harry's Laptimer......now what do I do to capture the PDR type info with the video from Harry's? UGH

Now some good news. I got our Go Pro from our little marital arts studio and here is the shot from my GoPro setup. I think it will be pretty good. No clutter garage jokes! I need a garage sale LOL.

IMG_2022.JPG

And from the side:

IMG_2025.JPG

All packed and ready to go:

IMG_2023.JPG

Heres the bug fight we got into for 385 miles! I know its not Florida's love bugs but its a bunch.

IMG_2030.JPG IMG_2031.JPG IMG_2032.JPG IMG_2034.JPG
IMG_2037.JPG
IMG_2036.JPG
IMG_2043.JPG

And the candy for the parade. Yes, that is 2 frisbees that my wife wants us to throw out at the end. Should be fun.

IMG_2046.JPG
IMG_2045.JPG
IMG_2044.JPG
IMG_2047.JPG

If anyone else is in town, PM me to meetup.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Sounds like you're ready for some major FUN! Have a blast, and I can't wait to hear about how it turns out. You'll probably have the newest, hottest ride in the competition. Maybe next year I can run my car with yours.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
It's going to be great fun!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Looks like a lot of fun, Brian! You're definitely getting a ton of fun out of the GS - hope to see it in Arizona sometime soon!

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Bryan, it reads like you and the Mrs are going to have an amazing time running the course and it reads like it would be a blast to compete in. Be safe, have fun, and attention to detail will land you both the win.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Have a great time and report back all the details.
Janet
Alrighty, per Janet's request, here's the followup details.

We got up Friday morning and headed for coffee, LOL. Saw some of our Lone Star Corvette teammates Todd and Delaina, so we all had coffee and continental breakfast. Then Bonnie and I headed to Sanderson to check in AND to do our required tech inspection. Reminder, the race is from Ft. Stockton to Sanderson (59 miles) and then turn around and repeat. So we took a nice ride to Sanderson, got there at 9:30AM only to see that whoops......no check in and no tech inspection was happening here! LOL. Ding #1. What? Ah man, Friday's check in and tech inspection happen at Romey Park in Fort Stockton, where we have the car show and drivers meeting, etc. Back to Ft Stockton we drove....and check in/tech inspection ENDS at High Noon. UGH

Made it to check in at 10:30, got our paperwork and t-shirts and goodies and our car number, 63, the same number I requested from last year.....spoiler alert - we were rookies last year and finished 2nd in the 100mph class. I think I have a writeup on it on SRF but not sure how to find it when writing out a post. Oh yea, I know I could open another tab and go search, but I am being lazy trying to get this done today.

Check in accomplished.

Car decal on car - accomplished but not without a little fight over do we need to alcohol wipe the car down, spray some water and soap to get it stick....apparently their new decals were self adhering and we didn't get that memo on the first decal, oops....but after seeing it wasn't staying on using the old method, we figured it out and got 'em stuck on both side doors and hood.

IMG_2127.JPG

IMG_2124.JPG

Now off to tech inspection.....no problem since the car is only 2 weeks old I thought! HA. I had already mounted the same fire extinguisher bracket and fire extinguisher amor last year that was purchased brand new right before the race. Easy peasey..... until the tech guy shows me a depressurized fire extinguisher and proclaims, this aint any good. And this is the second one just like tit that we have seen this race do this. HMMMM, ok its 11:00AM, they close tech at noon, and I need a new fire extinguisher. Ran over to one of the parts suppliers for the race setup right near tech station....nothing. All out. Tech guys all suggest Tractor Supplier or Wally World.....my wife and I jump in that car and off we go searching for a new one.

Tractor supply - nothing.

Oh wait, AutoZone is directly across the street, pull in, yep they have it. Bingo. $27.99 its in my car headed back to tech. Pull back in at 11:30AM.

Drive up, proclaim, FOUND IT, then proceeded to mount it. Hmm brackets slightly different then my old one. Screws won't go it. Tech guy pulls out his multi-tool and starts to shave out screw holes on the mount....5 minuets later, voila, big enough to get screws in. Tighten her done and we're check out! Sign the tech papers, repeatedly tell them THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU and we are legal! WHEW.

We then go wash the car again for the big parade every Friday afternoon after the drivers meeting. That is always a fun time....the locals LOVE It. Sorry no pics....too busy grabbing hand fulls for melted Rollos and other candy that sat in the car for 90 minutes during safety meeting and car show afterwards......LOL. That candy was mushy.

We then headed to dinner to meetup as a team with the Lone Star Corvette Club team dinner. We were told to line up at 5:30AM at the park again for staging. No late night!

10PM = LIGHTS OUT

4:45AM = Alarm bells ring out and off we go. At 6:30AM we caravan out to the road to line up on US Hwy 285 just outside of Fort Stockton, headed to Sanderson.

The race is supposed to start at 8AM. Fog delay.....fog came in so thick the 3 support planes would not take off. Here's a picture at about 9AM from start line.

IMG_2089.JPG

Somewhere around 12:30 they decided to run the 145mph and 140 class, then take a 30 minute break to make sure all cars made it, THEN they would launch the Unlimited class (which normally goes first of course) and then proceed the rest of the classes. The 145 class ran no issues. The 140 class ran and one of the cars 2-3 miles out from the finish went off track apparently air borne and ended up taking out an electrical pole that cut power to Sanderson. Driver and navigator all walked out under own power, but that delay with the electrical company lasted until approximately 3:30PM. Remember, this is a public highway that is shut down from 5am-5pm......time is getting away from us here. Obviously at this point we all new we wouldn't run both legs of the race, but we were praying for at least 1 leg.

Race officials got everything squared away and we were back to racing. All cars and classes ran the one leg from Ft Stockton to Sanderson. Here we are about 10 minutes out.

IMG_2113.JPG

We were in the 110 class (up from 100 last year) and I thought we did an awesome job. We just used two iPhones, 1 counting up to our official time of 32:11 and 1 counting down from 32:11 to 0 so the theory being that I should be crossing the finish line when the clock trips -0-! My wife had a run sheet of makers along the way at specific time and mile intervals, as she navigated the course with directions of turns, and timing to next interval, etc....and low and behold, we rolled across that finish line as the iPhone timer hit 0! I thought WOW we did it. A great run maybe a second off.....back story: the first 9 finishers from last years race in the 110mph division all finished under 1 second off the official time. THEREFORE, I thought, man, we did one heck of a run.

Bonnies Red (of course) gloves rubbed off a little coloring after all that navigating! LOL

IMG_2114.JPG

There is a banquet every Saturday night after the race.

IMG_2115.JPG IMG_2116.JPG IMG_2117.JPG

And lastly......We made a great team (Rick you are right - she was reason for our results I sure you). Here's are finish:

IMG_2119.JPG

We were 0.169 seconds off the official time. Second place was 0.2??? and third was 0.3???

Thanks for all the help from all the SRF's on apps, tools, etc.

OH YEA - and I got to share SRF with a few folks so hopefully we get a few new members!

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like you're ready for some major FUN! Have a blast, and I can't wait to hear about how it turns out. You'll probably have the newest, hottest ride in the competition. Maybe next year I can run my car with yours.
Everyone should try it at least once! What a hoot of a time. WOW

·
Administrator
15,423 Posts
What a great write up, mini-ordeal and perseverance, and pics- and to boot you got first place!!! Congrats indeed.:triumphant::eek:nthego::victorious:

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like a lot of fun, Brian! You're definitely getting a ton of fun out of the GS - hope to see it in Arizona sometime soon!

German, I didn't really talk about it in the updated post thread.....but this GS just blows us away. It was so smooth on this race, and the seats were so comfortable and the car stayed down on the road at 124mph turns and hills and curves and slopes, etc. both of us are extremely happy with her. And YES we need to get her out to AZ sometime.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
What a great write up, mini-ordeal and perseverance, and pics- and to boot you got first place!!! Congrats indeed.:triumphant::eek:nthego::victorious:
I had NO expectation of that Jeff. The 110mph class is one of the largest class because it doesn't require any mods to the car, just a fire extinguisher bolt on to the seat frame. And the major players ALL use multiple GPS, tracking apps, etc high tech stuff. And he were were with iPhone timers! LOL Thus there were like 20 some odd competitors. But when I say 1 second on the iPhone timer roll to -0- as we crossed I thought AHA we nailed it. Little did I know LOL

My wife was listening very intently to the read off of placement.....she thought "well maybe we got 3rd"... Announcer: Third place at 0.3 seconds off time, goes to ??????, Bonnie - oh bummer.......announcer, Second place at a time of 0.2 seconds off goes to ???????, Bonnie internally says AW MAN, bummer, I was hoping we'd at least place..... Announcer: First place at a time of 0.169 seconds off, driving a red 2017 Corvette goes to Bryan malasomethingesta and Bonnie malasomethingesta.......

We look at each other puzzled? Did we just hear our names? Is that our car? What just happened? Our team table erupts in applause and high 5's around, and up we go to the front to accept our trophies.

We are still on cloud 9.

Can't believe it .... WOW we are so blessed.

·
Administrator
15,423 Posts
Clearly the best type of win Bryan! :cool:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Congratulations!!! So very happy for you both. Enjoyed your write up. Next year won't be so hectic. Mark your calendar now.

Have very dear friends, Paul & Sue Cope that have been racing Silver State for years and would never miss it. Mike & I always wanted to do this race but timing never worked out. My only big regret.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I go to Fort Stockton for work and had never heard of this race until your post. Every time I'm out there, I'm in my pickup. 85 - 90 mph in a half ton pickup on IH 10 at night is plenty fast for me. How do they inform the deer to stay off of the road while the race is going? I know they're not usually out during the day, but I've been down there enough to know the deer do not know the rules. Lots of good YouTube videos of the races over the years from various points of view. Looks like a blast.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jritchie, yes it is a blast. And you can race ANY CAR that passes a tech inspection from little ole Yugo to custom build racers......and rat rods, and PU's and Dulleys. And BMWs and Mercedes and well you name it.

Speed classes are as low as 85 up to unlimited. Rookies run 85-110, once qualified, then you can go faster.

I think its every 3rd Saturday in April.

FYI for everyone else, I-10 at Fort Stockton is 80MPH speed sign.....LOTS of fun just driving west texas! LOL

1 - 20 of 38 Posts