Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.....back when I got my first year C6 (2005) Convertible; I recall a very active discussion on another forum about OnStar, and it's alleged ability to track & store info about how the car was being driven...specifically speed.....

Some folks were so annoyed about this that they actually disconnected their OnStar modules.

Fast forward to the present - I "activated" OnStar for my new C7 Convertible yesterday, and although I only skimmed through the "Agreements" that you have to agree to before you can use it, I did see inferences to their tracking similar data, including speed. Although stated very innocuously, they mention sharing this info with authorized entities where required by law. I believe there are some type of data loggers (?) in almost all new cars, but now that info is leaving the vehicle....I'm sure we all can read between the lines here...these are fast cars, and I would bet most of us have an interesting answer to the question:"how fast have you driven her?"

So, while the remote lock, unlock, phone and directions may be appealing items to an owner, there is a potential sacrifice to be made....

I'm curious who's thought about this, and what you've decided in terms of enabling OnStar? Am I inaccurate on any of my presumptions above?

·
Registered
74 Posts
i never activated mine and have asked them to stop calling me about activating it. i don't use it and don't see a need for it, the nav handles everything i ask of it just as expected.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
I read the Onstar agreement when my wife bought her Cadillac last year. I was appalled. The potential for big brother ratting you out is tremendous. I am not saying they will, but they sure could if they chose to.

I then did a Youtube search and found videos about people removing the carpet from the trunk of their vehicles to disconnect the power cable going to the Onstar module. Note that you just can't assume that if you disconnect it from the antenna that it will kill communications. That may not work. Why? Onstar uses the cell network, and so it does not take a strong signal to make such a connection.

Finally, I remember reading something in the Onstar contract which said that even if you cancel your subscription and do not pay them, they continue to reserve the right to collect your data. There was no Opt-out procedure.

I am with you here, ALF01. This is a scary thing for a country which has the history and expectations that our forefathers had. My wife was not born in the US, so she does't mind. She and I have nothing to hide, so her Onstar is still plugged in. But for someone whose family tree will not leave the North American continent regardless of which branch you take until you get back to 1790 (the last immigrant of which I am a direct descendant) this is disturbing.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
i never activated mine and have asked them to stop calling me about activating it. i don't use it and don't see a need for it, the nav handles everything i ask of it just as expected.
Same here. Also, if you need the Chevy roadside assistance program you can just call the 800 number from your cell phone. Not too concerned about being victim of spying.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Some of you are way to paranoid...
I want onstar on my side in case of a stolen car or accident.
Nobody cares about your driving habits unless you are speeding or intoxicated.
Go fast on the track only.
Great scene in the movie Rush when Someone told Lauda he drove like an old man on some country road.
He said its dangerous. No reason to heighten risk if you don't have to.
Way to late to worry about big brother. He's here to stay like it or not.

Alias Frankie!

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Hey jlatigo, does the light for Onstar still illuminate on your mirror? If so, it is powered up even if you have no subscription.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Some of you are way to paranoid...
I want onstar on my side in case of a stolen car or accident.
Nobody cares about your driving habits unless you are speeding or intoxicated.
Go fast on the track only.
Great scene in the movie Rush when Someone told Lauda he drove like an old man on some country road.
He said its dangerous. No reason to heighten risk if you don't have to.
Way to late to worry about big brother. He's here to stay like it or not.

Alias Frankie!
Frankie, like I said we have ours plugged in. We have nothing to hide. But what I would love to see is an opt-out choice: call them, tell them to stop collecting data from your car, and they say okay (and really stop).

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree...
You should be able to opt out and you can.
When you de activate service all of the hardware is removed. There is no one not even big brother following movement.

Alias Frankie!

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Hi Frankie. It is my understanding that when you deactivate service, you stop paying them (or stop with your free trial) the Onstar module box is still somewhere in the rear frame of the car (usually accessible under the carpets or side panels somewhere in the trunk). The module remains powered up. The Onstar light inside the car remains lit. It is still active. It is just that they will not help you with Onstar activities any longer because you are not paying, but they still can get data from your car and track you if they want to (as far as I know).

To be sure it is off, you have to pull the power plug on the module.

Reactions: ALF01

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Frankie. It is my understanding that when you deactivate service, you stop paying them (or stop with your free trial) the Onstar module box is still somewhere in the rear frame of the car (usually accessible under the carpets or side panels somewhere in the trunk). The module remains powered up. The Onstar light inside the car remains lit. It is still active. It is just that they will not help you with Onstar activities any longer because you are not paying, but they still can get data from your car and track you if they want to (as far as I know).
My belief as well. The hardware is not easily removed.....

·
Registered
211 Posts
That's just not true.
Once they deactivate the hardware is also removed.
There might be a box the
Light might b on but your car is no longer being affected.

Alias Frankie!

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Do I want the red pill, or the blue one? Choose carefully, Neo...

Reactions: jlatigo

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's just not true.
There might be a box the

Alias Frankie!

Frankie,

With all due respect, "hardware" refers to the mechanical boxes, etc. in the car. I can "deactivate" OnStar with a phone call to cancel my service/subscription...but that does *NOT* mean they send somebody out to tear into my trunk and take out the hardware.....deactivation is purely a software process....

·
Registered
211 Posts
Once your service is deactivated so is big brother. This I know.
Not a big deal...
Compared to what's happening that's beyond our control.
Onstar is a must for my wife for obvious reasons.
For me? Not important.
And again for those that worry about big bro...that train has left the station. Luckily I'm a pretty boring dude.

Alias Frankie!

·
Registered
873 Posts
That's just not true.
There might be a box the

Alias Frankie!
Unless someone comes to your house and works on the car, how is the hardware removed? It doesn't just disappear, at least in the real world most of us inhabit.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
211 Posts
Again
All I know is when you deactivate your Onstar subscription the the system in your car is also deactivated.
Can any of you prove that this is not true?

Alias Frankie!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Again
All I know is when you deactivate your Onstar subscription the the system in your car is also deactivated.
Can any of you prove that this is not true?

Alias Frankie!
Frankie, what people on this forum are saying is that without that hardware being removed from the car it is a possibility that it can be monitored even though on star says, "yes we deactivated it." No you are not paying for it, or get the benefits of the services but it's similar to these NSA scandals recently. They say they are not listening to your phone calls, but yet they (NSA) are not willing to release records of those phones that they are currently tapping. So yes if that piece of hardware is in the car, they can track you at any time, with or without your say so if needed. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
211 Posts
All due respect Derrick you still haven't proved to me that Onstar NSA's any of us that cancel the subscription. There's a possibility of anything in life.
There is a security code I believe they stand by.
I understand your concern over the box but I promise you that box is dead when you cancel the service.

Alias Frankie!

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
I pledge my trust to Onstar
and ask they hold my hand
They watch over me near and far
All throughout this land.

-Rodney

1 - 20 of 37 Posts