Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody experienced the trans. Making a clunk while shifting from 2nd to 1st using the paddle shifter in manual mode? It only happens when going slow, approx 5-10 mph. Going faster where the engine revs up, it seems fine.

·
Administrator
16,583 Posts
No I have not experienced it but more typically have only downshifted from 2nd to 1st at about 15 mph. (primarily because I really like to hear the burble when you let off the throttle). Is it possible that what you are experiencing is that at the same time you go from 2nd to 1st you are going from V4 to V8? At slow speeds like you mentioned you would normally feel that transition much more than at higher speeds or more aggressive throttle.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't have an automatic but do you really need to use first gear at all? With the manual you can start up from a full stop in second and avoid first entirely.

·
Administrator
16,583 Posts
I don't have an automatic but do you really need to use first gear at all? With the manual you can start up from a full stop in second and avoid first entirely.
The issue racerbob is raising is whether the "clunk" he is experiencing in downshifting from 2nd to 1st is the norm, not whether we need to do it but do others with an auto experience the same.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The issue racerbob is raising is whether the "clunk" he is experiencing in downshifting from 2nd to 1st is the norm, not whether we need to do it but do others with an auto experience the same.
Jsvette, Correct. You got it.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
When in manual mode on the A6, if you don't manually down shift the car will downshift for you as you slow and come to a stop. Normal operation is for the car to only downshift to 2nd gear and start from there.

It's just a lot more fun to put into first! And to start off in first! IMHO.......

Reactions: MYKZDRM

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Has anybody experienced the trans. Making a clunk while shifting from 2nd to 1st using the paddle shifter in manual mode? It only happens when going slow, approx 5-10 mph. Going faster where the engine revs up, it seems fine.
Racerbob I have not experienced the issue when using manual mode.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Sorry to hear about that Bob, I do not have that issue or any mechanical issues, just body panel issues :mad:. I just took apart my air intake to inspect if there is any sign of oil and so far I have been lucky in that department and yes I do drive aggressively sometimes. 1660 miles on mine to date.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When in manual mode on the A6, if you don't manually down shift the car will downshift for you as you slow and come to a stop. Normal operation is for the car to only downshift to 2nd gear and start from there.

It's just a lot more fun to put into first! And to start off in first! IMHO.......
I have not seen that to be the case. If I don't shift to 1st., it stays in second(2).

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
I have not seen that to be the case. If I don't shift to 1st., it stays in second(2).
Racerbob, read Tom0021's statement again: he is saying the same thing as you are (while in manual mode, the car only downshifts to 2nd on its own).

Also, I have heard the clunk you are speaking of in a transmission when using paddle shifters going from 2nd to 1st while going down a hill at a speed of just a few (one to three) MPH. It is not present when the transmission is in automatic mode. However, the car I heard/felt it on was my wife's ATS, not a StingRay. Frankly, I chalked it up to me commanding a downshift at a speed too low and on a slope where the transmission was not under enough load. I hated the feel/sound. So, I now downshift 2nd to 1st at about 10 MPH, and the problem has gone away.

I would try that, and if that works, I would suggest you chalk it up to user error, as I did.

I hope this helps. Best wishes,

Rodney

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Racerbob, read Tom0021's statement again: he is saying the same thing as you are (while in manual mode, the car only downshifts to 2nd on its own).

Also, I have heard the clunk you are speaking of in a transmission when using paddle shifters going from 2nd to 1st while going down a hill at a speed of just a few (one to three) MPH. It is not present when the transmission is in automatic mode. However, the car I heard/felt it on was my wife's ATS, not a StingRay. Frankly, I chalked it up to me commanding a downshift at a speed too low and on a slope where the transmission was not under enough load. I hated the feel/sound. So, I now downshift 2nd to 1st at about 10 MPH, and the problem has gone away.

I would try that, and if that works, I would suggest you chalk it up to user error, as I did.

I hope this helps. Best wishes,

Rodney
I just wanted to know if it's normal, or if I have a problem. If it's normal I can live with it, even though I don't like it.

·
Administrator
16,583 Posts
I just wanted to know if it's normal, or if I have a problem. If it's normal I can live with it, even though I don't like it.
If what is occurring Racerbob when you do that paddle downshift is the engine is going from V4 to V8, then it is perfectly normal. Take 'er out and look at the V4 V8 indicator while you do the downshift.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
If what is occurring Racerbob when you do that paddle downshift is the engine is going from V4 to V8, then it is perfectly normal. Take 'er out and look at the V4 V8 indicator while you do the downshift.
Jeff, I thought that using the paddle shifters locked the engine in V8, and that it could not go into V4 mode. Did I misunderstand that part?

·
Administrator
16,583 Posts
Jeff, I thought that using the paddle shifters locked the engine in V8, and that it could not go into V4 mode. Did I misunderstand that part?
Don't factually know the answer Rodney. Easiest way to find out would be to put your car in drive (not manual) and slow down matching your 5-10 mph prior experience speed and note whether you are in V4 or V8, then use the paddle to downshift (leaving your shifter in drive) into first and see, if it was in V4, if it at the time of the shift changes to V8.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I would be surprised if at that speed that the car was still in the V-4 mode. Bob, I would suggest that if you have any concern you let your dealer check it out and have you concern noted. Even if they tell you it's normal you will have your concern noted, just in case it's not.

·
Administrator
16,583 Posts
I would be surprised if at that speed that the car was still in the V-4 mode. Bob, I would suggest that if you have any concern you let your dealer check it out and have you concern noted. Even if they tell you it's normal you will have your concern noted, just in case it's not.
I will check it out later today. I am pretty sure I have seen it in V4 as I coast to a stop in the past.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
That would mean it would be in V-4 when you took off unless it changes while stopped. I would be interested in seeing what you find out.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Don't factually know the answer Rodney. Easiest way to find out would be to put your car in drive (not manual) and slow down matching your 5-10 mph prior experience speed and note whether you are in V4 or V8, then use the paddle to downshift (leaving your shifter in drive) into first and see, if it was in V4, if it at the time of the shift changes to V8.
Jeff, all I know is that people (including Glen E) have repeatedly posted that using the paddle shifters on the automatic transmission cars will disable active fuel management and lock the car out of being able to go into V4.

·
Administrator
16,583 Posts
That would mean it would be in V-4 when you took off unless it changes while stopped. I would be interested in seeing what you find out.
It actually does shift once you stop from V4 to V8. Again I will verify this later this afternoon.

·
Registered
415 Posts
As shown below is downshift speeds when in auto or manual shifts as to MPH depending on TPS angle ( gas pedal)
So 2 to 1 is shifting as TCM was programmed.

Search about drivetube issues for C7 with auto trannie

1 - 20 of 37 Posts