Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 with 23,000 miles has black painted wheels. I've always had excessive brake pad dust that quickly dulls the wheels post washing. I've only cleaned them with a mild car soap, the same as used for the body but now the wheels appear to be losing their luster. Is this caused by the brake dust? Can I clean the wheels with another product?

I'm wondering if the dealer will repaint the wheels covered under the warranty? Then should I change the brake pads to those that don't squeal or put off much brake dust. If so what brand is best? Thanks, P

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Yes , brake dust is highly corrosive if left to build up and bake on any wheel or finish. I have seen wheels with less miles and age than yours absolutely destroyed by brake dust and road crime. Good luck getting GM to fix or replace them. If they are still savable a cleaning and polishing may help. Most car product companies have many choices for wheel cleaners and wax or sealants.
Many folks have changed out the pads on our cars due to the brake dust issue. Plug in your interest and i am sure older POSTS will come up with many suggestions. for replacements.

In my opinion hosing off a wheel or a mild car soap will not do it. Admittingly I am a bit OCD but my wheels get a complete cleaning every time i drive my car more than a couple of miles . And that includes the interior barrels as well as the dish and exterior parts. Additionally i wax and polish them about once a month to provide some protection and make cleaning them easier. Some will say that is over kill but I enjoy doing it and enjoy how they look when i am done . Not to mention the comments i get from others when they see the car tend to be very positive.

·
18,670 Posts
The abrasive environment of wheels both spinning and traveling forward at speed down the road, with dust and bigger particles is, IMO a description of a sand blasting environment.

GM’s wheel paint is not known to be resistive over time to constant particle abrasion. Many have applied a nano-ceramic coating to their wheels (typically many, many times harder than paint), other have gone IMO the best resistive measure, having their wheels powder coated. I just had my DD’s winter wheels PC’d.

Given that you are now not happy with their shine, I would consider first taking some corrective measure first (as described above), then your thinking if you want better protection in the future, of one of the different increased-abrasion-resistance measures I mentioned.

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,435 Posts
Yes , brake dust is highly corrosive if left to build up and bake on any wheel or finish.
On my 2014 Z51 i was cleaning my black wheels every 100 to 200 miles or the brake dust was pitting them! I foolishly waited 6 months before I installed Carbotech 1521 ceramic street pads. Also have them on my Grand Sport and as with the Z51 wash the wheels ONLY when I wash the car. What dust is there (85% less IMO) does NOT pit the wheels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts