Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I'm considering black wheels on my C7. I've seen some conversation about chipping, scratches etc but the thread is kind of old. I've only had silver painted wheels on my Vettes so no experience with black. I know that silver will hide any "damage" better than black. Question is are the black wheels more of a hassle than they are worth (ie frustration).

I'd appreciate any feedback, pros, cons that C7 black wheel owners are willing to share. Would you buy them again etc.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
10 Posts
I LOVE the black wheels. I was going black and red to contrast everywhere, so for me it was a no brainer. See http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...69d1394651006-official-torch-red-thread-3.jpg. The pic doesnt show it, but I also did black stinger stripe.

I dont know what trouble I am in for, but after 300 miles the wheels look showroom new still. I did have the car treated with CQuartz, including the wheels, so perhaps that helps. I can tell you I get a ton of looks and dozens of compliments per day on the car. So much so that I am thinking about blacking out the chrome "dental appliance" on the front and going black lugs.

hope that helps.

thx

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Your right about the painted surface of the black wheel being subject to scratches and on-road grit blasting.(the rear wheels get the worst of it) That is just a price to pay for that selection. I guess you need to think about whether you can except that and / or then powder coating them later.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I haven't been frustrated at all with the black wheels so far. I only have 1100+ miles, but no scratches. It definitely shows dirt and water spots more than chrome or silver, but that's about it. I had black ZL1 wheels on my camaro, and they forced me to be more careful when driving/parking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My old DD was a 2012 Mini S. That was my first car with black wheels. Same treatment as my C-7. Black paint and clearcoat. I washed them when I washed the car and with my dedicated wheel/tire micro fiber wash mitt. Never touched them to dry off, but used my Master Blaster to dry. Waxed them when I waxed the car about once a month. Put 10,000 miles on the car. No scratches, swirls, etc. Needless to say the C-7 has black wheels too.:D

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have 2200 miles on mine and not a scratch on my black wheels. Love them it definitely gives he car a racier look!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I put black wheels on my 2001 a few years ago, today they have multiple scratches/dings and don't look good. Also, when they are cleaned they look OK, but they look dingy after a few days, even if you don't have rain. I felt they needed more attention than chrome. So, I got chrome on my C7.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Maybe a bit off topic....I just ordered C7 Coupe with standard painted wheels. My thinking on the subject was this:

1. Personally I don't care for black wheels (my opinion, not knocking anyone who likes black wheels)
2. I think the chrome wheels look good....but $1995.00 added cost
3. Should you ever scrape a curb and make 'curb rash ' marks the *painted wheels can be repaired and painted to look like new*
with chrome wheels you'd most likely have to replace the wheel at great expense.

*my granddaughter recently damaged one of her painted alloy wheels (Chrysler 200) I had a local shop repair and repaint it for $75.00, it looks new)
replacing the wheel would've cost $435.00*

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks all. After reading these and other comments I'm sticking with silver wheels especially since it's a DD.

·
Registered
132 Posts
With the amount of brake dust this car puts out (same as my C5) black was a nice add plus gives car a 'mean' look I think.

ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1395423843.019096.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey my wife 2003 z06 had black wheels for 4 yrs and my 2006 z51 sunset orange also no problems more than 10k miles ,my z51 Stingray has them as well

·
Registered
366 Posts
Love mine, look perfect after 2000 miles. They hide brake dust better, but yes, I suspect they'll show wear faster than silver.
ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1395431857.045776.jpg

MrG 69
Enjoying every mile in my CGM/Kalahari 7sp Z51 2LT Coupe w NPP, Nav, CF Mirrors/Spoiler and BC Roof
** Sent from mobile using Corvette Stingray Forum App **

·
Registered
366 Posts
With the amount of brake dust this car puts out (same as my C5) black was a nice add plus gives car a 'mean' look I think.

View attachment 5356

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app
Totally agree on both counts - love that sinister look!

MrG 69
Enjoying every mile in my CGM/Kalahari 7sp Z51 2LT Coupe w NPP, Nav, CF Mirrors/Spoiler and BC Roof
** Sent from mobile using Corvette Stingray Forum App **

·
Registered
957 Posts
I love my black wheels! I had them coated so they are easy to take care of....:cool:

My husband did not want me to get the black wheels and the stinger stripe or the CF mirror/spoiler....major disagreement...I stood my ground and the first time he saw the C7 at the museum he admitted I was right (yes I knew this all along :LOL:!

ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1394216544.421909.jpg

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dang, went and looked at an AW with black wheels this morning. That combination is SOOOO nice looking. I don't think I'd get them on a Cyber but on the AW its simply amazing. I'm totally torn between CG with Silver and AW with black. ......as my wife would say "what a horrible decision to have to make".

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
38 Posts
I love my black wheels! I had them coated so they are easy to take care of....:cool:

My husband did not want me to get the black wheels and the stinger stripe or the CF mirror/spoiler....major disagreement...I stood my ground and the first time he saw the C7 at the museum he admitted I was right (yes I knew this all along :LOL:!

View attachment 5365
What did you chose to coat them with? Mine should be arriving in a few weeks and want to coat immediately if it will help.

Thanks,

Tony

·
Registered
134 Posts
I LOVE the black wheels. I was going black and red to contrast everywhere, so for me it was a no brainer. See http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...69d1394651006-official-torch-red-thread-3.jpg. The pic doesnt show it, but I also did black stinger stripe.

I dont know what trouble I am in for, but after 300 miles the wheels look showroom new still. I did have the car treated with CQuartz, including the wheels, so perhaps that helps. I can tell you I get a ton of looks and dozens of compliments per day on the car. So much so that I am thinking about blacking out the chrome "dental appliance" on the front and going black lugs.

hope that helps.

thx
One of he first things I did was black out the orthodontic wire in the grille and it looks great. Now the only chrome on the car are the badges and exhaust tips.

Black rims complete this car. All the carbon fiber accents scream black rims! I only have 500 miles on it so I can't vouch for the longevity.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
You can get great coating with a few of the brands:
Cquartz UK
Opti Coat 2.0
22PLE
Gtechnik(sp)

And if you're not into the fancy stuff, 2 coats of nu-finish from the drug/ grocery store....will work well

1 - 20 of 22 Posts