Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have a problem with pitting on the black rims? I have noticed that the pitting is just on the front face of each rim. The back side of the each rim is perfectly smooth. rim.jpg rim2.jpg

·
18,670 Posts
That problem has been noted before, unfortunately, and not just by one or two folks, but by many. Others have used the word "chipping," but whatever it is called, it is unsightly. It is especially exacerbated by the large front tires and the design of the car, flinging tiny rocks, roads and, etc.

More than few black wheel owners have said that in a couple of years they will get their wheels powder coated, which is more resistant to chips. Others have put on side skirts/rocker extensions/rocker blades, and they too reduce significantly reduce rock chips in the rear wheels.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Sad to say that based on previous posts on how easy these wheels were to scratch I am not surprised that they grit blast easily as well. I am not sure they can be repaired without repainting. I am sure Glen can offer up a suggestion.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Mine have visible chips too, no black wheel for the 2015.

·
Registered
456 Posts
My Silver wheels have that crap as well. Glad they aren't black.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Sadly, due to the contours and such, any type of film is out, like xpel. No coating, wax or sealant is thick enuf to protect against rocks, the only real treatment is a tough paint like DuPont Imron or powder coating. Some are concerned about the hi temp needed for powder coat, but I'm told it's not a problem. Once pitted, I don't know of any way to correct except the two options above. Here is a "fortified clearcoat" that might work BEFORE it's pitted, but I have not seen any posts on it. Also needs a respirator, not for newbies..

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray-paint/spraymax-2k-clearcoat.aspx

Shame on Chevy for using car paint on the wheels....love the gloss, but........

perhaps some of the pro detailers that posts here can offer something up, I also asked here on the detailing site:

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums...-14-vette-black-wheels-advice.html#post516704

·
Registered
456 Posts
I bet this never happened in their gazillion miles of testing just like no sump tank burping. Geeezzz

Reactions: Ret9580

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks for the info but this really sucks!! As much money as this car cost and with less than 6k miles on it, this should not even be an issue. I have a tire and wheel plan but I don't know if that covers cosmetic issues. I guess it's time for some aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Still cheaper to get them powder coated vs aftermarket... I had my ATV wheels powder coated white... And after 50+ hours of riding through mud and dirt, they still clean up like new. My chrome wheels on my aw vette are doing the same thing as yours. I only have 900 miles on my car... I plan to powder coat mine white in the near future.

·
Registered
755 Posts
May I suggest anyone who is going to get their wheels repainted that they consider doing it with the Carbon Flash paint to go with the rest of the carbon flash on the rest of the car. ie: vents, rear defuser, spoiler, mirriors, hood vents, grill etc etc. I don't think this would appear to be too much Carbon Flash and the wheels might look a little better. Then get them powder coated before putting them back on. Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
May I suggest anyone who is going to get their wheels repainted that they consider doing it with the Carbon Flash paint to go with the rest of the carbon flash on the rest of the car. ie: vents, rear defuser, spoiler, mirriors, hood vents, grill etc etc. I don't think this would appear to be too much Carbon Flash and the wheels might look a little better. Then get them powder coated before putting them back on. Just some thoughts.
You can't carbon flash then powder coat....or at least it would not do any good, the powdercoat color is your final look.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Thanks for that glen e. I thought the powder coat would offer protection for the repaint. My ignorance. What colour would the powder coat be then. I thought it was like clear coating and it offered more protection and not change the base colour. dahhh for me.;

STUNG:cool:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Does anyone else have a problem with pitting on the black rims? I have noticed that the pitting is just on the front face of each rim. The back side of the each rim is perfectly smooth.
Rotate the wheels for a complete sandblast :cool:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thanks for that glen e. I thought the powder coat would offer protection for the repaint. My ignorance. What colour would the powder coat be then. I thought it was like clear coating and it offered more protection and not change the base colour. dahhh for me.;

STUNG:cool:
Powder coat is a process not a color. Powder can be offered in any color, the only issue it's not very bright/ shinny. imo.
I had a 1994 with white PC Grand Sport wheels. It looked great and the finish was almost inpossable to damage.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Actually they now have clear powder coat. My wheels have 3 layers, powder coat black, silver paint then powder coat clear.

I'm pretty sure you can't do a metallic powder coat and carbon flash is nothing more than a metallic black but you could easily do a carbon flash base with a powder clear. Call TPJ, http://www.techpaintjax.com, they can fill you in on what's possible

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
37 Posts
My non Z51 came with gray 5 spoke wheels that I had powder coated gloss black when I first got the car. No over 6000 miles and no chips on my wheels.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Actually they now have clear powder coat. My wheels have 3 layers, powder coat black, silver paint then powder coat clear.

I'm pretty sure you can't do a metallic powder coat and carbon flash is nothing more than a metallic black but you could easily do a carbon flash base with a powder clear. Call TPJ, TPJ, they can fill you in on what's possible

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum
then this is what I'd do as soon as I bought the black wheels....

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
While I am a while away from placing my order, it is information like this that makes this site so valuable to those like me doing their homework. I have learned that instead of paying $495 extra for black painted wheels, its better to just take delivery of the car and get the standard wheels black powder coated immediately.

Right now, I am thinking about a Z51 convertible with an all black theme, except for a gray interior.

·
Registered
371 Posts
While I am a while away from placing my order, it is information like this that makes this site so valuable to those like me doing their homework. I have learned that instead of paying $495 extra for black painted wheels, its better to just take delivery of the car and get the standard wheels black powder coated immediately.

Right now, I am thinking about a Z51 convertible with an all black theme, except for a gray interior.
Yes please save your $495 and get powder coated when you get the car.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts