Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

I have been thinking and posting about blacking out my baby...

Did so first with Carbon Flash Metallic Flags, front and back from RPI Designs...Great product!!!

Got rid of the fish altogether...

Got rid of the "Corvette" script...

Covered the side reflectors with Vinyl kit black out...(peeling already)

Did the rear reflectors and brake light with Acrylic blackout...(solid)

Tail Lights have been the real issue!!!!!

Read all the posts about VHT/Rustoleum...how to's including one real detailed one for making them look less matte.....Sounds good, but washing and detailing the princess is within my comfort zone...spraying and sanding is not....

Finally decided to get the job professionally done...tail lights and reflectors....

Sprayed from the rear after bumper removal...

I'm going to have this car for the rest of my life,
so why cheap out on the job?

While the bumper is off, Radar/Lidar detection installed...

So Blend Mount, nice as it is, is irrelevant....Passport max
will go on my DD...

Life's short...blow your cash on what you love!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do you have pics OP?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:eek::eek:
my vinyl is perfect after 6 months, how did you mount it?
Alcohol prep....mounted after air and wipe dry...only peeling in two corners, not noticeable to causal inspection, but "huge" to me...anyway, want permanent install, not needing refreshing, which I can't imagine vinyl won't need from time to time...and since I'm getting all the other stuff done, why not?:eek:

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
:eek::eek:

Alcohol prep....mounted after air and wipe dry...only peeling in two corners, not noticeable to causal inspection, but "huge" to me...anyway, want permanent install, not needing refreshing, which I can't imagine vinyl won't need from time to time...and since I'm getting all the other stuff done, why not?:eek:
that's not the way...the alcohol probably degraded the adhesive....

1, one drop of dawn in a tiny spray bottle - like a flying sample bottle from drug store for hair spray etc.
2. pull off paper on vinyl, spray both sticky side and the light itself
3. maneuver the vinyl on and move around until position is perfect- use thumb to squeegee out the water...

done

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, kindly advise what is the best way to black out the tail lights, as well as manufacturer names? Thanks ?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
before you jump at blacking out taillights, remember it's not the law you have to be scared of...it's the lawyers - someone rear ends you and they can WIN as you had impaired safety equipment. It has happened in the legal world. And it'll be your fault and then the nuisance lawsuits start as you gave him/her a bad neck, impaired sexual functions, etc...I'm not kidding...I went to my tint shop a couple years ago and they would not do it as the case just happened in Broward county and the tinter was named....

see what they say on a cop forum:

Tinted Tail lights Texas

I want to do this mod, but I won't due to litigation...

·
Registered
463 Posts
What if you purchased tail lights that were alrdy tinted from the manufacturer? Then they'd have to go after them instead of you, or am I wrong?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I preordered mine tail light black outs from gs creations they are supposed to be shipping out in the next two weeks

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yeah I'm pretty sure it goes the same in terms of the Z06 tail lights. They are clear so I'm not sure how that is legal, especially in CA. Unless the tail lights are always on even during the day to show red.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
I also wonder what is going to happen to the Z06 in California. I am fairly certain that a very high percentage of California Z06 owners will get tickets because of this. Even if the ticket doesn't "stick" because the tail lights are DOT approved, it would still be extremely annoying to have to take a half day (or more) to go to court and deal with all the associated pain to get the ticket thrown away.

Reactions: BLURAY_Z51

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, Glen, if you say that's the way to do it I won't question you, especially after the great tips you gave me on detailing!
However, since I'm getting stealth radar/laser jammer installed which requires removal of parts, figured might as well get
it sprayed from the inside to last life of car...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
;
I like my blacked out lights.

I love them Alysha!!!
Did you either remove or have them removed and sprayed from the back?
What tint did you use?
When lights are on at night and/or brakes applied is the light as bright as without
the black tint? Is the bottom picture what I think it is, i.e., blacked out lights with brakes applied?
Unlike us guys, I'm sure if you get pulled over you will not get a citation for them!
Unless, maybe it's a female officer...;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
before you jump at blacking out taillights, remember it's not the law you have to be scared of...it's the lawyers - someone rear ends you and they can WIN as you had impaired safety equipment. It has happened in the legal world. And it'll be your fault and then the nuisance lawsuits start as you gave him/her a bad neck, impaired sexual functions, etc...I'm not kidding...I went to my tint shop a couple years ago and they would not do it as the case just happened in Broward county and the tinter was named....

see what they say on a cop forum:

Tinted Tail lights Texas

I want to do this mod, but I won't due to litigation...
Well, I'm not too worried about getting sued by some tool who rear ends me....
First, its unlikely he would have noticed what color your tail lights were since he wasn't paying attention to where he was going (probably texting) which is why he hit you!
Second, once he smashes into you the evidence is in itty bitty pieces on the highway and the responding officer isn't calling CSI to the scene
Third, the law in NJ, and I would wager in every other state, is that you have to maintain an "assured clear distance" between you and the car in front of you
so the rear ender is always at fault....
There are thousands of frivolous lawsuits filed every day...few of them succeed (the dope who burned herself with McD's coffee and got a big jury verdict comes to mind)
More than likely the Broward county case you refer to got tossed on the defense's motion for summary judgment....
And as for getting stopped by LEO, it is not going to be for tinted lenses, but speeding....at least until I get my stealth radar/lidar jammer installed!
If the cops have nothing better to do and want to stop you they can come up with a pretext no matter how legal your car is...."driving too slow", "crossed the yellow line" "driving erratically", etc. etc.
Fact of the matter is that your Stingray is going to attract attention from everyone, including LEO....if you're not doing something stupid, chances are they will leave you alone..

·
Registered
5,453 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's fine...from this blurb,can't really tell why the guy on the bike hit the rear of the other vehicle...maybe he was stopped on the highway and his lights were off?
Maybe he tinted his lights so dark they were invisible....even if they were, unless it was nighttime and they were out in the boonies with no other light sources around, don't see the liability....as for the hassle, well, that's why you have insurance...they pay for your lawyer....
Having ridden a bike for many years, there is no excuse for rear ending someone....manueverablilty is your only way to stay alive on the roads and if you ain't quick, you're dead...
Most bikers are injured/killed by car drivers making a sudden left turn in front of them.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
;

I love them Alysha!!!
Did you either remove or have them removed and sprayed from the back?
What tint did you use?
When lights are on at night and/or brakes applied is the light as bright as without
the black tint? Is the bottom picture what I think it is, i.e., blacked out lights with brakes applied?
Unlike us guys, I'm sure if you get pulled over you will not get a citation for them!
Unless, maybe it's a female officer...;)
They removed the whole rear end and sprayed them from the inside. The pics are no lights on, and with brakes applied. Didn't think to do one with just the lights on. Are they darker than factory? Yes, but just slightly. You can still see them at a distance just fine, and they look a lot better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
They removed the whole rear end and sprayed them from the inside. The pics are no lights on, and with brakes applied. Didn't think to do one with just the lights on. Are they darker than factory? Yes, but just slightly. You can still see them at a distance just fine, and they look a lot better.
Did Stingray Chevrolet do that for you?

David

1 - 20 of 21 Posts