Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're making some headway on our twin turbo C7 project..

The turbochargers are billet wheel 60mm Precision's, with P-trim turbines, in .82 A/R T3 housings. Instead of mounting the turbochargers out back, we've decided to build a set of stainless turbo headers and mount the turbochargers next to the engine block. This will keep the lag to a minimum, and make for a very nice kit.

Our headers will be 304L 14 gauge stainless, TIG welded and back purged, with true 4-1 merge collectors. For this project, we're using 1 7/8" tubing, and 2.25" collectors. This will be adequate for 1200hp. Our flanges are made locally, and CNC machined out of 304L stainless. No water-jet, or laser cut stuff..

The passenger side header is just about finished, and I will have the turbocharger and waste gate mounted on that side by tomorrow evening.

We plan on getting dyno numbers on the stock engine and automatic transmission.. Then, we'll build the engine/trans, and will be working with Circle D to design and test a multi disc converter. The goal is around 650whp on the stock powertrain, and 1000-1050whp through the auto and stock displacement engine (built).

I will have the car at the Texas Mile in a few weeks. Come out and see us!

Thanks,

-BW

·
18,670 Posts
Your headers are works of art! Truly beautifully enough to go in an art show, but guessing you will have other uses. Thanks for just creating them for us to look at.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.. I plan on having it running late next week for the Texas Mile. Granted, we'll be bare bones, but I want to have it out there. The finishing touches will come afterwards.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finished up the header on the passenger side today, and got the turbo mounted. Nothing had to be cut, and the header/turbo goes in without any difficulty, engine lowering, etc. For those wondering, there will be heat wrap and shields made for the starter/frame area. The factory plug wires fit without any issues.

The driver's side header will be a challenge.. It looks like we'll have to delete the factory oil cooler to fit the turbocharger on that side. I've always been of the mindset that 200+ degree coolant doesn't do much to cool engine oil anyway. But, we'll monitor things, and if it's an issue, we'll add air to air cooler.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Driver's side header is finished up to the collector, and I'll get the turbo mounted in the morning. Oil "warmer" had to go, though.. It was in the way. We usually do away with these on LS engines anyway.

Turbo blankets will come with the kit, and will completely wrap the exhaust housing. So, no worries about melting or burning anything. Other critical areas of the headers will be wrapped in exhaust wrap just in case. We will also offer high temp coatings from Jet Hot.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hot side is just about finished..

Just have to build dump tubes for the waste gates, and weld-out the downpipes.

Charge pipes, methanol injection, and oil scavenge pump.. Should fire up Monday.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks!

We're tuning on it today.. On wastegate spring (5psi), it's a little over 500. We're about to raise the pressure to 8 or 9 to get closer to 600. We'll stop there, as that's a good safe limit for the stock automatic trans.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Very very nice work fellas, I was wondering what was up with this. You making this a repeatable kit to sell or only in house/fab on? My 427 stroker and NOS will be done in 2-3 weeks, but a TT is where I'll ultimately end up. I have a pair of Circle D built 6L90s with their 265mm converter here that I use for my V. The C7 could borrow one I suppose :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts