Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading, watching, researching the new C7 since it's announcement last year. I watched and listened as the feedback rolled in and it was all very favorable. The thought of buying a high performance sports car at a value price continued to play in my thinking. So...I sold my Porsche in February and flew to St. Mary's Ohio to pick up my new Stingray.
The CA dealers were charging upwards of $20K over MSRP, which predicated me looking elsewhere. The folks at Bud's Chevy made the purchase easy and fair.
I was picked up in Dayton (about an hour from the dealership) on a Wednesday morning and was in the new car heading West by 10:00am that day. My destination in NorCal was 2600 miles away.
About the car:
I wanted something that would be 95% track use with the occasional weekend drive. I got exactly what I wanted (except color, which I now have grown to love).
Night Race Blue Coupe
1LT Z51
7 speed manual
MSRC
Performance Exhaust
Red calipers
Competition Seats
Nav system
Since added: Local Motors harness bar and Schroth Racing 4point harness

Rather than head directly West through Chicago towards Nebraska and Wyoming, I had to quickly divert in a SW direction due to major snow storms coming through the West/Mid-West.
The car felt instantly familiar and comfortable to drive at distance. I drove a Porsche home from Texas and that trip killed my backside. Not so with the Vette.
I made it to Oklahoma City at the end of the first day. I got to play with all the mode selections, PTM selections, etc. The bluetooth system was intuitive and simple.
On day two I began testing the acceleration more and more and was blown away with the torque. This car absolutely motors!
Made it to Flagstaff, AZ for the second night. There were some good twisty roads coming out of Flagstaff which gave me the opportunity to assess the handling. I'm very impressed with how well this car corners. It definitely requires a bit more finesse coming off the corner to keep it straight, but that is the fun isn't it?
Made it home that evening with no issues. I opened it up on a stretch in New Mexico that provided clear, flat, straight roads for miles. It got up to a speed that was fast enough for me on a public road, and I promptly shut it down. Again, quite impressive.
I will have the car on Thunderhill Raceway this Saturday. I'm really looking forward to comparing that to other cars I've driven. I bought this car to have fun at the track and to work on fundamental driving skills. This car will require more attention and skill to drive fast on the track, but that's exactly why I wanted it!
I'll send a report from the track experience with some on-board footage.
Happy Motoring,
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Welcome and thanks for the write up Mike. Let us know how it works on the track for you, but be prepared to go through some brake pads. What are your thoughts about the completion seats after your long drive?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chip- Carbotech pads go on before the track day.
The competition seat was more comfortable than the stock GT seat in the Porsche for sure.
I'm 5'9" 160- so they fit me perfectly.
Mike

·
Administrator
16,313 Posts
Thanks for the write-up Mike and glad the car is meeting your expectations! Looking forward to your continued post following tracking her. :cool:

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Mike, welcome aboard, dam nice looking Vette!! The Vette is like going back in time, from showroom to track with no mods outstanding! Your C7 in the picture looks like it's ready to hit the track right now!

SF
Rick

·
Registered
366 Posts
Nice write up. Thanks for sharing.

MrG 69
Soon to be the proud owner of my 3rd Vette, a CGM/Kalahari 7sp Z51 2LT Coupe w NPP, CF Mirrors/Spoiler and BC Roof
** Sent from mobile using Corvette Stingray Forum **

1 - 7 of 7 Posts