Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I thought I would share my QC and delivery timeline from Bowling Green, KY to San Jose, CA. Last month I scoured the internet for this type of timeline but could only find ones headed to southern california. So hopefully this will be helpful for some people in the Bay Area.

1/20 TPW
2/28 - 3800 Stingray Birthday
2/31 - 4B00 Bayed in Bowling Green, KY
2/04 - 4300 Intermediate delivery to Toledo, OH
2/05 - 4B00 Bayed in Toledo, OH
2/21 - 4200 Departed Toledo, OH
2/22 - 4200 Arrived in Gibson, IN
2/24 - 4200 Departed Cordland, IL -> Beverly, IA -> Boone, IA
2/25 - 4200 Arrived in Cheyanne, WY
2/26 - 4200 Departed Laramie, WY
2/27 - 4200 Departed Strawberry, UT -> Promontory Point, UT -> Battle Mountain, NV
2/28 - 4200 Departed Elvas, CA -> Emeryville, CA -> Milpitas, CA
3/03 - Car delivered 7pm

Here is a map of my car's journey approximated by interstates that follow the railroad path: https://goo.gl/maps/t9i9U

As you can see I had an extremely long wait; 34 days in total and the most frustrating portion was from 2/5 to 2/21 while the car sat in Toledo. The car traveled the wrong direction then sat there for 16 days! The long delay was caused by some pretty severe snow storms, but I had a hard time believing the storm backed things up for 16 days straight. But if you're in a similar situation waiting for your car to be delivered via rail, remember you will forget all of your frustration the instant you see your Stingray for the first time. Hang in there, the wait is worth it.

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Remind me, Home Chicken, which dealer did you purchase from? Courtesy, right?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, went through Courtesy. They didn't do a great job of keeping me up to date with the daily status of the car, but I was fine with using resources online or calling into CSX to track the car. They were very prompt once the car arrived and got it ready for delivery the same day.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Thanks for posting this!

I'm curious.. did you ask Courtesy to have the OnStar activited so you could follow that way? I am wondering if they refused or you didn't know to do that or there was some other mitigating factor as to why it was not possible. I want to do that when ours is done being built.

First we have to 'time' the build right so we can fly to Kentucky to watch that done (hope Nov)... then watch the delivery on pins and needles and see if it hits while we're on a planned cruise in the Caribbean 12/7! LOL! The 'timimg' line you gave is interesting. I'm sure my timeline will hit some storms NEXT winter.

You gotta resize that fabu pic of your car and make it your avator Roger! :D

Cheers!

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Lansing Grand River to Bay Area: Cadillac Order Timeline

For those of you who are curious about GM Workbench codes, car production at GM, and shipping, here is an example. This is actual data taken from the GM Workbench for my wife's Cadillac.

I have dropped a lot of information to make this easier to follow. I have omitted the seconds from the time stamp, omitted some fields (Active, Effective Date, End Date) and combined two fields (System Source and User ID) into just one (Source of Change) because, to get the point across, I don't need to give the User ID of the person who made the change, but rather just identify if they were at the dealership, or order management, or at the GM factory, etc.

The GM Workbench sorts the information by Event Code, but I have chosen to sort it by Date/Time below because it gives a better idea of how things happened. As you can see below, sometimes the order does move backwards (for example, after the order was scheduled and broadcast, it was later rescheduled and rebroadcast before finally being produced). That is why GM does not like to give out target production weeks, even after they are initially scheduled with the first 3300 event code. Targets are targets; they are not set in stone, and do sometimes have to change based on what goes on in the factory in the weeks leading up to the actual build.

[table="width: 650, class: outer_border, align: center"]
[tr]
[td]Event Code[/td]
[td]Event Description[/td]
[td]Date[/td]
[td]Time[/td]
[td]Source of Change[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]1100[/td]
[td]Preliminary Order Accepted[/td]
[td]5/03/2013[/td]
[td]16:46[/td]
[td]Dealer[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]1102[/td]
[td]Preliminary Order Added via Web[/td]
[td]5/03/2013[/td]
[td]Dealer[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]2030[/td]
[td]Order Re-edited[/td]
[td]5/06/2013[/td]
[td]11:06[/td]
[td]GM ORDER MGT[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]2051[/td]
[td]Order changed via Web[/td]
[td]5/06/2013[/td]
[td]20:21[/td]
[td]Dealer[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]2000[/td]
[td]Accepted by GM[/td]
[td]5/07/2013[/td]
[td]GM ORDER MGT[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]2500[/td]
[td]Preferenced[/td]
[td]5/07/2013[/td]
[td]11:09[/td]
[td]GM ORDER MGT[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]3000[/td]
[td]Accepted by Production Control[/td]
[td]5/07/2013[/td]
[td]22:29[/td]
[td]GM ORDER MGT[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]3100[/td]
[td]Available to Sequence[/td]
[td]5/21/2013[/td]
[td]22:38[/td]
[td]GM ORDER MGT[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]3300[/td]
[td]Scheduled for Production[/td]
[td]5/23/2013[/td]
[td]22:13[/td]
[td]GM ORDER MGT[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]3400[/td]
[td]Broadcast[/td]
[td]5/24/2013[/td]
[td]22:07[/td]
[td]GM ORDER MGT[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]3300[/td]
[td]6/04/2013[/td]
[td]22:49[/td]
[td]GM ORDER MGT[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]3400[/td]
[td]Broadcast[/td]
[td]6/05/2013[/td]
[td]22:22[/td]
[td]GM ORDER MGT[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]3800[/td]
[td]Produced[/td]
[td]6/11/2013[/td]
[td]04:43[/td]
[td]GM COMS[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]4000[/td]
[td]Available to Ship[/td]
[td]6/11/2013[/td]
[td]GM COMS[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]4104[/td]
[td]Bailment Invoice[/td]
[td]6/11/2013[/td]
[td]GM BARS[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]4B00[/td]
[td]Bayed[/td]
[td]6/11/2013[/td]
[td]GM VTIMS[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]4300[/td]
[td]Intermediate Delivery: Jack Cooper Transport from Lansing Grand River, MI Factory to Charlotte, MI Rail Yard[/td]
[td]6/18/2013[/td]
[td]04:42[/td]
[td]GM VTIMS[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]4B00[/td]
[td]Bayed[/td]
[td]6/18/2013[/td]
[td]GM VTIMS[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]4106[/td]
[td]Release Bailment[/td]
[td]6/20/2013[/td]
[td]04:40[/td]
[td]GM BARS[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]4150[/td]
[td]Original Invoice[/td]
[td]6/20/2013[/td]
[td]GM BARS[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]4200[/td]
[td]Shipped via Rail CN NORTH AMERICA from Charlotte, MI to Milpitas, CA[/td]
[td]6/20/2013[/td]
[td]GM VTIMS[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

After Event Code 4200, I started tracking the rail car using the number from the GM Workbench (also found on line 4200, but I have omitted the rail car number above).

The rail car was unloaded in Milpitas on June 27 in the early afternoon. It was picked up on a truck the next day and delivered to the dealership. The day after that, June 29, my wife and I picked up the car at the dealership.

So, for us, from the date that GM released the bailment until it was in Milpitas was seven days. Obviously, I became a HUGE fan of rail delivery! It was fast, you could track it using the rail car number, and it seems much safer (on rails there are no rocks to fly up from the highway [if there were a rock on a rail, the train's locomotive would crush it and kick it out before the rail cars got over it], the transported cars stay away from the public at truck stops, et cetera). Also, if you compare that Michigan to California via rail time interval to how long it took the trucks to take it on the short trip from the factory to the rail yard (also a week), you will see why I am not a big fan of the trucking system. It is too bad that the factories do not have direct railroad access on-site.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Suzy, I didn't end up going on the OnStar route because I could pretty accurately track exactly where the car was using the CSX railcar tracking system. I have read some people have had success going with the OnStar route.

rdslon01, you're right about the superior protection railcars provide. What frustrated me most was waiting for the car to actually get loaded onto the rail system. I couldn't tell if it was in the quality control process or if there was a back up of cars so I was in line to get on a train, so more transparency would have helped. Of course my situation may be unique since the midwest is having one of the worst winters in history.

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Suzy, I didn't end up going on the OnStar route because I could pretty accurately track exactly where the car was using the CSX railcar tracking system. I have read some people have had success going with the OnStar route.

rdslon01, you're right about the superior protection railcars provide. What frustrated me most was waiting for the car to actually get loaded onto the rail system. I couldn't tell if it was in the quality control process or if there was a back up of cars so I was in line to get on a train, so more transparency would have helped. Of course my situation may be unique since the midwest is having one of the worst winters in history.
Roger, I think the winter weather wrecked havoc on the deliveries. I am sorry it happened to you, but I hope people getting theirs now will not have to endure what you did. I know Corvette and Cadillac are two separate divisions, but it is all still GM. In that warm summer month last year, GM released the bailment on it two days after the trucking company got it to the rail yard, and then the rail car went out that same day the bailment was released.

I hope more people can have the same positive experience my wife had.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
For those of you who are curious about GM Workbench codes, car production at GM, and shipping, here is an example. This is actual data taken from the GM Workbench for my wife's Cadillac.

I have dropped a lot of information to make this easier to follow. I have omitted the seconds from the time stamp, omitted some fields (Active, Effective Date, End Date) and combined two fields (System Source and User ID) into just one (Source of Change) because, to get the point across, I don't need to give the User ID of the person who made the change, but rather just identify if they were at the dealership, or order management, or at the GM factory, etc.

The GM Workbench sorts the information by Event Code, but I have chosen to sort it by Date/Time below because it gives a better idea of how things happened. As you can see below, sometimes the order does move backwards (for example, after the order was scheduled and broadcast, it was later rescheduled and rebroadcast before finally being produced). That is why GM does not like to give out target production weeks, even after they are initially scheduled with the first 3300 event code. Targets are targets; they are not set in stone, and do sometimes have to change based on what goes on in the factory in the weeks leading up to the actual build.

[table="width: 650, class: outer_border, align: center"]
[tr]
[td]Event Code[/td]
[td]Event Description[/td]
[td]Date[/td]
[td]Time[/td]
[td]Source of Change[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]1100[/td]
[td]Preliminary Order Accepted[/td]
[td]5/03/2013[/td]
[td]Dealer[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]1102[/td]
[td]Preliminary Order Added via Web[/td]
[td]5/03/2013[/td]
[td]Dealer[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]2030[/td]
[td]Order Re-edited[/td]
[td]5/06/2013[/td]
[td]GM ORDER MGT[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]2051[/td]
[td]Order changed via Web[/td]
[td]5/06/2013[/td]
[td]20:21[/td]
[td]Dealer[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]2000[/td]
[td]Accepted by GM[/td]
[td]5/07/2013[/td]
[td]GM ORDER MGT[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]2500[/td]
[td]Preferenced[/td]
[td]5/07/2013[/td]
[td]11:09[/td]
[td]GM ORDER MGT[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]3000[/td]
[td]Accepted by Production Control[/td]
[td]5/07/2013[/td]
[td]22:29[/td]
[td]GM ORDER MGT[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]3100[/td]
[td]Available to Sequence[/td]
[td]5/21/2013[/td]
[td]22:38[/td]
[td]GM ORDER MGT[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]3300[/td]
[td]5/23/2013[/td]
[td]22:13[/td]
[td]GM ORDER MGT[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]3400[/td]
[td]Broadcast[/td]
[td]5/24/2013[/td]
[td]22:07[/td]
[td]GM ORDER MGT[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]3300[/td]
[td]6/04/2013[/td]
[td]22:49[/td]
[td]GM ORDER MGT[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]3400[/td]
[td]Broadcast[/td]
[td]6/05/2013[/td]
[td]22:22[/td]
[td]GM ORDER MGT[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]3800[/td]
[td]Produced[/td]
[td]6/11/2013[/td]
[td]GM COMS[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]4000[/td]
[td]Available to Ship[/td]
[td]6/11/2013[/td]
[td]GM COMS[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]4104[/td]
[td]Bailment Invoice[/td]
[td]6/11/2013[/td]
[td]GM BARS[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]4B00[/td]
[td]Bayed[/td]
[td]6/11/2013[/td]
[td]GM VTIMS[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]4300[/td]
[td]Intermediate Delivery: Jack Cooper Transport from Lansing Grand River, MI Factory to Charlotte, MI Rail Yard[/td]
[td]6/18/2013[/td]
[td]GM VTIMS[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]4B00[/td]
[td]Bayed[/td]
[td]6/18/2013[/td]
[td]GM VTIMS[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]4106[/td]
[td]Release Bailment[/td]
[td]6/20/2013[/td]
[td]GM BARS[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]4150[/td]
[td]Original Invoice[/td]
[td]6/20/2013[/td]
[td]GM BARS[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]4200[/td]
[td]Shipped via Rail CN NORTH AMERICA from Charlotte, MI to Milpitas, CA[/td]
[td]6/20/2013[/td]
[td]GM VTIMS[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

After Event Code 4200, I started tracking the rail car using the number from the GM Workbench (also found on line 4200, but I have omitted the rail car number above).

The rail car was unloaded in Milpitas on June 27 in the early afternoon. It was picked up on a truck the next day and delivered to the dealership. The day after that, June 29, my wife and I picked up the car at the dealership.

So, for us, from the date that GM released the bailment until it was in Milpitas was seven days. Obviously, I became a HUGE fan of rail delivery! It was fast, you could track it using the rail car number, and it seems much safer (on rails there are no rocks to fly up from the highway [if there were a rock on a rail, the train's locomotive would crush it and kick it out before the rail cars got over it], the transported cars stay away from the public at truck stops, et cetera). Also, if you compare that Michigan to California via rail time interval to how long it took the trucks to take it on the short trip from the factory to the rail yard (also a week), you will see why I am not a big fan of the trucking system. It is too bad that the factories do not have direct railroad access on-site.
I think this is very interesting. However, is there another thread that explains what all the words are you talk about like we should know them already? ;)

What is/are Broadcast, Bailment and Bayed? I can guess on Bayed (parked somewhere waiting), but you might as well explain them all while you're being so fabulously helpful! LOL!

I know people often use other terms beyond 4200 that relate to you picking up the car. "The dealer finally released the xxx", where xxx is some other term people toss around when discussing the ordering from across the country and the paperwork that has to go back and forth. Know that part, or should that be on a different thread?

Cheers!

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Reactions: Suzy Cruisy

·
Registered
10,418 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts

·