Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gotten Xpel installed for a NCM pickup?

·
18,670 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Factory will not install anything, but touch base with your NCM delivery contact and they may do it there.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Out of curiosity .... for those of you ordering paint protective films... are you going with the full hood, fender, and bumper wrap or are you going for the partial hood wrap? I saw a local installer today and the prices range anywhere from $ 1000 for a partial hood wrap to $ 1400 for a full treatment.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shane at NCM suggested Paint Protection of Nashville. He said they used to do the film at the NCM. I spoke to Lane at Paint Protection of Nashville today. He said they were having issues with keeping the cars really clean while working in the same detail area as the NCM guys. So now they do it 70 miles away in South Nashville.

I am going to wrap my baby in Xpel just like you would wrap a human baby. So even though everyone says the splash guards work great I am going to have my bumper, full hood, head lights, full fenders, mirrors, door cups, rockers, spoiler, and wait....the doors all done in Xpel ultimate. Why? They will do all that for $2125. My current C5 has about 500 tiny nicks in the rockers and even some scratches 3' up on the doors. And I have been careful with it.

Considering the advice I have gotten on this forum is going to save me thousands I can pay for the Xpel, NCM pick up and the Ron Fellows driving school with the money I am going to save.

Thank you everyone!

Reactions: Suzy Cruisy

·
Registered
631 Posts
I wouldn't cover the headlights with Xpel, or anything else for that matter. I had my film removed from the headlights on my C7 as it was contributing to a hazing inside the cover. Note in the current October issue of Corvette magazine's 'Tech Nerd' section where they discuss C6 headlight crazing. I believe some of the same issues are still going on with the C7s when you cover the HID headlight pods with a film. Anything that contributes to heat buildup will potentially cause problems with the headlight covers. Chevy bulletins have called these covers "extremely sensitive to anything that comes into contact with them:.

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
I wouldn't cover the headlights with Xpel, or anything else for that matter. I had my film removed from the headlights on my C7 as it was contributing to a hazing inside the cover. Note in the current October issue of Corvette magazine's 'Tech Nerd' section where they discuss C6 headlight crazing. I believe some of the same issues are still going on with the C7s when you cover the HID headlight pods with a film. Anything that contributes to heat buildup will potentially cause problems with the headlight covers. Chevy bulletins have called these covers "extremely sensitive to anything that comes into contact with them:.
Thanks for the post, George; I did not know that.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Joshua, I am going with the full hood treatment. I know my luck and I would guarantee that a rock would hit the area I left unexposed:( Also the thought of a film line bothered me. I have heard others say that with his installation that it is hard to see...but IMHO it is worth the extra $s.

George, thanks for the info about the lights. I was definitely planning on doing the lights....until now.

I love this forum:)

·
18,670 Posts
Have had my C6 headlights covered with 3-M urethane since days one, now nine years old, and always drive with my headlights on. No grazing, not a single headlight problem, not even changed a bulb. At about $1,000 per headlight bucket, will have my 2015 Corvette's headlights covered, though with XPel.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I'm only having XPEL done as a bra and on the panels behind each wheel. Then it's off to get CQuartz.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I'm only having XPEL done as a bra and on the panels behind each wheel. Then it's off to get CQuartz.
If I were you I would do the rockers the main part to protect is in front of the rear wheels, just from experience stating my opinion, cquarts does not protect from rock chips.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Joshua, I am going with the full hood treatment. I know my luck and I would guarantee that a rock would hit the area I left unexposed:( Also the thought of a film line bothered me. I have heard others say that with his installation that it is hard to see...but IMHO it is worth the extra $s.

George, thanks for the info about the lights. I was definitely planning on doing the lights....until now.

I love this forum:)
Do the lights, I did and no issues, I also have a small diamond crack in the headlight before having it wrapped by expel. Its worth doing it as John said no issues here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry, its absolute nonsense. Film does NOT contribute to headlight crazing. Period. I have installed film on well over 350+ C6 and C7 Corvettes and have not had one single client get crazed headlights. Yet I HAVE seen brand new C6 Corvettes sitting on the lot with crazed lights. Film is not causing the crazing to occur, if that was the case then every single one of them would craze. What is causing it to happen is people using alcohol based cleaners on their lights. The alcohol has a chemical reaction with the polycarbonate lenses causing it so break down. I have also seen this with the Nissan 350Z/370Z lenses as well. GM is off the mark here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts