Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Stingray
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2015 1LT Stingray has RPO codes JL9 (Standard 4 wheel disk brakes) and J6D (dark gray calipers) as shown below:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Locking hubs

My question is based on the impression that I had that only the performance upgraded larger rotor brake systems were drilled and slotted. Are the rotors I have typical? I feel like I've seen some with plain brake disks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 C8, Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic, 3LT, Z51, MSRC and more
1,059 Posts
You are correct - JL9/J6D are the brake/caliper option codes for the non-Z51. They would have come from the factory without the slotted/cross drilled rotors. I'm guessing you bought this used? If so, a previous owner had aftermarket slotted/drilled rotors installed.

The Z51 option included (J55) performance brakes, (J6A) Black-painted calipers and slotted brake rotors

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
2015 Stingray
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are correct - JL9/J6D are the brake/caliper option codes for the non-Z51. They would have come from the factory without the slotted/cross drilled rotors. I'm guessing you bought this used? If so, a previous owner had aftermarket slotted/drilled rotors installed.

The Z51 option included (J55) performance brakes, (J6A) Black-painted calipers and slotted brake rotors
Yes I bought it used this year with only 5400 miles. I am surprised that someone would have replaced the rotors.

·
Registered
2015 Z51 7M
204 Posts
My 2015 Z51 has slotted rotors but no holes, just slots. So yours are not OEM to the base Stingray but are not Z51 OEM’S.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
2015 Stingray
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am still confused as to why a 5000 mile car has non-OEM rotors.

Are there aftermarket rotors in the base model diameter available with drilled holes and slots like this? Does anyone here recognize them?

·
Registered
2015 Z51 7M
204 Posts

Are there aftermarket rotors in the base model diameter available with drilled holes and slots like this? Does anyone here recognize them?
Good question but there are a lot of non GM slotted rotors available for the base Stingray. One possibility is they were part of a change to upgraded or ceramic pads.

·
Registered
2020 C8, Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic, 3LT, Z51, MSRC and more
1,059 Posts

Most likely the original owner liked the look of the slotted/drilled rotors.

Lots of manufacturers of aftermarket rotors. Yours look like they could be SP Performance rotors:

·
Registered
56 Posts
On my C6 I made the change after 3 months of ownership after buying new. I did if for looks and more stopping power (I thought). Found out drilled rotors have less mass, prone to cracking under hard braking, and only marginal outgassing. That’s why the pads have that gap to help disperse outgassing. I did have to also buy the larger caliper brackets to clear the rotors. I purchased mine through GM Performance Parts.
On my C7 I purchased my car with the Z-51 package for the shocks, suspension tuning, larger roll bars, bigger brakes and tires.
As hard as it to believe that someone would do this - I gather you’re new to the Corvette world because you will not believe the extreme differences from Corvette owners to Corvette owners! Just enjoy them and stop contemplating why it was done!
Congratulations on your ride - enjoy!
Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts