Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While cleaning my car this weekend, I discovered a bag of parts in the frunk. I have learned that they are brake duct pieces and Chevy put out a bulletin in 2020 that they should be partially installed for street driving and fully installed for track use. The dealer said only install for track use.

Anyone have comment on this? IMG_7399.jpg IMG_7400.jpg

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,555 Posts
What did the bulletin say and what did the directions say.....only use for track....or not?
If just for track and you don't track....fagetaboutit.

If says put on for normal driving, then put on. Probably not going to hurt anything either way.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Obviously used for additional cooling. If your not tracking the car and not driving aggressively you probably won't need them or notice any difference. But if it was me the next time I was in for service i would ask them to be installed per the bulletin. Never want to give them an excuse to not cover a future problem. By the way not sure what "partially installed" actually means?
Your dealers verbal assurance that they aren't needed will mean nothing a year from now when you may have a problem..
If I had a dime for every time salesman or dealer told me something that turned out just wrong I'd be driving a new C8..

Reactions: rdslon01 and Norm

·
Registered
50 Posts
There's a video on YouTube of C8 rear brake cooling duct work catching fire. Apparently during a normal drive a piece of trash was sucked into the duct and became wedged between disc & duct. Friction caused debris to ignite which then began to melt plastic air duct.
I'm waiting for more updates from GM before I install.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
While cleaning my car this weekend, I discovered a bag of parts in the frunk. I have learned that they are brake duct pieces and Chevy put out a bulletin in 2020 that they should be partially installed for street driving and fully installed for track use. The dealer said only install for track use.

Anyone have comment on this? View attachment 279423 View attachment 279424
only install when tracking, I track mine and unless you are trying to stop the car from 140mph to 50 mph aggressively lap after lap as I do at Mid Ohio race track, then you don’t need the added cooling. As mentioned below, debris can get caught in it and create a fire and it dramatically reduces your ground clearance As well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts