Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so i took the Vette ('19 GS) to town and back this morning, about 15+/- miles or so. After pulling into the garage i see a coating of light dust on the rear panels and rear fascia. Taking a microfiber (thinking its road dust) i realize its black. I take a wipe on one of the rear wheels and holy sheet its brake dust to the max! I didnt make any hards stops, just tooling around. Someone have a solution for a better brake pad than stock to help w massive dust...talk about iron particles on the paint! Only have 1200 miles on the car, never really saw the dust that bad...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,279 Posts
They do make ceramic pads with very low dust up. My experience with the fine black dust on the panels is not necessarily from your brakes, but that is finely ground tire rubber dust that accumulates on the road surfaces, I get that quite often, and it's not from my brake pads.

·
Administrator
15,994 Posts
You can also use the search function and find a number of posts regarding member solutions and options to minimize brake dust.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a search and found nothing of interest. I used: brake dust, brake pads, brake pad upgrade, upgrades to brakes, and several others.
I guess i will get the answer here or i will research another method

·
Administrator
15,994 Posts
I did a search and found nothing of interest. I used: brake dust, brake pads, brake pad upgrade, upgrades to brakes, and several others.
I guess i will get the answer here or i will research another method

For example Brake switch...Finally

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Ok, so i took the Vette ('19 GS) to town and back this morning, about 15+/- miles or so. After pulling into the garage i see a coating of light dust on the rear panels and rear fascia. Taking a microfiber (thinking its road dust) i realize its black. I take a wipe on one of the rear wheels and holy sheet its brake dust to the max! I didnt make any hards stops, just tooling around. Someone have a solution for a better brake pad than stock to help w massive dust...talk about iron particles on the paint! Only have 1200 miles on the car, never really saw the dust that bad...

I swapped out the pads on my 2019 GS. I went with Powerstop Z26. No more dust. Very easy to swap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did that as well, as a matter of fact, so did about 12 others in the club did the same, everybody's happy.
Good deal....will look at getting them also

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had Hawk street performance ceramic brake pads on a 2011 GS and my 2017 GS and been happy with them on both cars. There are other brand that also work well.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
680 Posts
Power Stop pads and DIY Ceramic coat on the wheels and you can go months and never have to clean them even if getting caught in rain. I spray the wheels just because I am washing the car but if I don't wash the car for months because of great weather I wouldn't have to wash them as I would be satisfied that they look clean because not much sticks to them.

·
Registered
9,279 Posts
Yes, definitely a go to mod unless you like to clean your wheels after every short run.......😁

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Man did i find that out! Hence the start of this post...cudnt believe how much dust on these wheels. What DIY ceramic coating is good...

·
Registered
9,279 Posts
Can't help you with the coating, just changed out to ceramic pads, stays clean for a long time. When I do wipe them down, I just use a damp MF rag.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Man did i find that out! Hence the start of this post...cudnt believe how much dust on these wheels. What DIY ceramic coating is good...

I just went thru this process on my 19 GS. Used the Powerstop pads mentioned above and did Ceramic coating using Avalon King.

Had them on for a short time. Less dust so far but still have dust accumulating.

You will always get dust no matter what but just less of it. There is no such thing as “no dust”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts