Stingray Corvette Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi Red96lt1,
Did you went with the Wilwood 570? Haven’t found any review about them, also I was on the same boat like you, was inclined to go for Dot 4, but my usage is only spirited driving and didn’t want to keep frequently changing the brake fluid. On other hand tried my stock Z51 with the regular Dot 3 one day at a DE event and I boiled my brake fluid.
Before knowing about the frequent Dot 4 change of brake fluid I used it on two of my cars without having a single issue, but I decided to follow the Stingray owner’s manual recommendation of just using Dot 3 for day to day driving.
I already ordered Wilwood 570 brake fluid Dot 3, because of its high boiling level compared to other Dot 3 brake fluids. Must probably I would be the test rat. Hope it works as marketed.

·
Registered
287 Posts
With the topic title “Brake Fluid” I will post this here as an FYI. If moderators have a better place for it...

I am doing a brake fluid flush and change at 19k miles. My car went in for service on an unrelated issue and I was told I needed a brake fluid flush because of “contaminants” in the system. Taking my service team at face value and seeing from a quick google this may be the case I am providing my vehicle specifics for future readers.

2016 Z51 Manufactured in June. I am not sure of the original in-service date but I took delivery in December of 2016 with 1,500mi as a car that had never been registered. That is to say, it was a demo for about 6 months with light mileage. In 33 months in which I added 17.5k miles I have had only two real track days and I did not change fluid for either one. I drive it mostly recreationally. No previous brake system work done. Never been told of an issue during normal oil changes. The vehicle has always been garage kept in the humidity of south Louisiana.

I recently had an oil change and routine checks at my local Chevrolet dealer. Note, the dealer is a leader in Corvette sales and does a large volume of Corvette service. I then left on a 1,400mi round trip. On the trip I did some spirited driving on backroads and one track session of several laps. I am doing the fluid change at the same dealer for $160. I figure it is cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
With the topic title “Brake Fluid” I will post this here as an FYI. If moderators have a better place for it...

I am doing a brake fluid flush and change at 19k miles. My car went in for service on an unrelated issue and I was told I needed a brake fluid flush because of “contaminants” in the system. Taking my service team at face value and seeing from a quick google this may be the case I am providing my vehicle specifics for future readers.

2016 Z51 Manufactured in June. I am not sure of the original in-service date but I took delivery in December of 2016 with 1,500mi as a car that had never been registered. That is to say, it was a demo for about 6 months with light mileage. In 33 months in which I added 17.5k miles I have had only two real track days and I did not change fluid for either one. I drive it mostly recreationally. No previous brake system work done. Never been told of an issue during normal oil changes. The vehicle has always been garage kept in the humidity of south Louisiana.

I recently had an oil change and routine checks at my local Chevrolet dealer. Note, the dealer is a leader in Corvette sales and does a large volume of Corvette service. I then left on a 1,400mi round trip. On the trip I did some spirited driving on backroads and one track session of several laps. I am doing the fluid change at the same dealer for $160. I figure it is cheap insurance.
If you look in your Owner's Manual (~page 315 there is a Service and Maintenance table with a footnote) it says the brake fluid requires changing every three years. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, which means it pics up water like a sponge! At 4% moisture (have measured 3% in clutch fluid (which is brake fluid) the chemicals that can combine with water are used up. There will be free water present. Not only can the water cause corrosion but at 4% the chemicals in the fluid that can combine with the water are used up and there will be free water that can boil!

Water boils at 212F. Brake fluid can reach over 300F in use. When that occurs it forms steam. Unlike a fluid that is not compressible stream (water vapor) is a gas. When you step on the brake peddle all that happens is you compress the steam, the brake pedal goes to the floor and YOU HAVE NO BRAKES! NOT GOOD!

Folks that Track there cars aggressively may change their brake fluid to a racing fluid that when new can have a boing point of 500. They do that every time the track. The problem with that Fluid, called DOT 4 high performance fluid, is it picks up water even faster! So it is NOT used for normal driving as it should be chaged more often that every 3 years!

Hope this post helps you (and others reading it) understand that your spent your money wisely! In heavy braking situations you won't find your brake pedal going to the floor! :redface:

41 - 43 of 43 Posts