Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to switching out the factory Z51 pads & replacing them with the PowerStop Z26 pads, that by all accounts produce way less dust, but are as good in terms of everyday brake performance. Took a couple of hours total & that included dodging around the afternoon thunderstorms & stopping for plenty of tea breaks.

The car has almost 7,700 miles, so I gave the rotors a good scuff with some medium sanding blocks & then a good wash of all compoments to remove as much old OEM brake material as possible. One quick tip for anyone doing a brake pad switch on a C7 that has some miles on it : Once the wheel, the two Caliper pins & Shim are removed, go ahead & push in on the inboard brake pad & pull out on the outboard pad. This will push the pistons back into the caliper & provide enough clearance to insert the new thicker pads. I was able to do it quite easily by hand & it made the new pad install a breeze.

I decided to add a couple of finishing touches to the wheels while I was at it, with new black locking lug nuts & black valve stem caps to finish the look.

Before:

20170701_140555.jpg

After with new lock nuts & valve caps

20170701_140709.jpg

All finished, clean up then off to seat new pads in

20170701_153406.jpg

The hardest part of the job, was honestly trying to drive 10 minutes to cool off the brakes, after the seat-in procedure, without touching the brakes. Sunday morning probably would have been a quieter traffic time to do this. Hope this helps anyone considering doing a brake switch & if anyone wants some Z51 pads with plenty of life left for track use, send me a PM & You can have them. All the best.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
West Ham, awesome upgrade and yes the wheel looks great with the black lugs.

SF
Rick

Reactions: West Ham Utd

·
18,667 Posts
Well done West Ham Utd! Looking really good. I like your mini upgrades!

My Powerstops have been ordered and will be here real soon. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Love the new look.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Wow! Those brakes are really good! :D

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,279 Posts
Yeah D, wait until you've had them on for a couple months then scratch your head and go, "why didn't I change these out early on", I know that's what I did.

Vette's looking good.

I've done about 4-5 change outs now, gettin' pretty good at it. I've got 3 jobs lined up in the next couple weeks for club folks, everyone is seeing the results, they want them now.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Norm, sounds like you've got steady work on your hands :)

When I did the brake seat-in procedure, I got on them aggressively for the first five stops to try & remove any residual OEM material that I may have missed during swap out/ cleaning. I did the final set at moderate force & literally just floated my hands on the wheel for the final stop...went straight as an arrow pleased to say. Can't wait to get back out there & put some dust free miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
3,358 Posts
Nice job!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts