Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2015 C7 and thinking about doing an upgrade on the brakes. I have the J6F custom red calipers with stock JL9 rotors. I like the look of the drilled and slotted rotors so I am looking at the Power Stop Z23 Evolution Sport Brake Upgrade Kit. more for my driving style. They also have the Z26 Upgrade Kit for more aggressive driving. Has anyone done this type of upgrade and how did it go.? Also the recommended break-in how was this accomplished? Did you find an empty parking lot?? I can imagine doing 5 aggressive stops at 40 mph then another 5 stops at 25 mph to break in the rotors and pads. 👮‍♂️🚔

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,473 Posts
Just been changing out pads, no rotors. I live in a fairly rural area, 50mph on my road and straight, can see about a half mile each way, so the break-in stops are a non issue, I just wait until I see no traffic and go. If nothing like that in your area, try a Sunday morning when no traffic.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My C7 Z51 is a track dedicated car. I upgraded to DBA rotors, but will be using Power Stop rotors next time. I use Raybestos racing pads.

If you don't track your car, what is the reason you want to upgrade your brakes? The OEM brakes are plenty adequate for street use.

As far as racetrack usage is concerned, drilled rotors are very prone to cracking, although I don't think you'd have a problem with them for normal street use.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My C7 Z51 is a track dedicated car. I upgraded to DBA rotors, but will be using Power Stop rotors next time. I use Raybestos racing pads.

If you don't track your car, what is the reason you want to upgrade your brakes? The OEM brakes are plenty adequate for street use.

As far as racetrack usage is concerned, drilled rotors are very prone to cracking, although I don't think you'd have a problem with them for normal street use.
To be honest WingCon the up-grade would be totally cosmetic. I just like the look but are you saying the up-grade increases the chance of rotor failure due to cracking?? I see you still ride on two. I still have a Yamaha 2005 Royal Star Venture. Ride safe!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
To be honest WingCon the up-grade would be totally cosmetic. I just like the look but are you saying the up-grade increases the chance of rotor failure due to cracking?? I see you still ride on two. I still have a Yamaha 2005 Royal Star Venture. Ride safe!!
Honda Goldwing and Suzuki VStrom. VStrom is for traveling mainly south of the border. Have been riding 2 wheels for 49 years.
Yes, drilled rotors dramatically increase the chance of cracking, but that's with track use, e.g. multiple extreme heat cycles. Don't think they'd be an issue on the street.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts