Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
This is another case where a coating like CQuartz Finest (or UK) or Opti-Coat would be hugely beneficial. They're long lasting and will keep brake dust from sticking, so long as it is washed off frequently. You shouldn't need any harsh wheel cleaners or other specialized treatments to remove buildup, just regular car wash soap or waterless/rinseless wash solution will do the trick.

Also keep in mind that if you have a set of factory "chrome" or polished wheels, you should not be using metal polishes or metal sealers to clean and maintain them -- they are actually clear coated just like the paint on the rest of the car, so the same protective products can and should be used. Waxes and sealants do provide some repellency, but due to the heat from the brakes they will likely need to be reapplied more frequently than on the body of the vehicle.

·
Registered
195 Posts
This is another case where a coating like CQuartz Finest (or UK) or Opti-Coat would be hugely beneficial. They're long lasting and will keep brake dust from sticking, so long as it is washed off frequently. You shouldn't need any harsh wheel cleaners or other specialized treatments to remove buildup, just regular car wash soap or waterless/rinseless wash solution will do the trick.

Also keep in mind that if you have a set of factory "chrome" or polished wheels, you should not be using metal polishes or metal sealers to clean and maintain them -- they are actually clear coated just like the paint on the rest of the car, so the same protective products can and should be used. Waxes and sealants do provide some repellency, but due to the heat from the brakes they will likely need to be reapplied more frequently than on the body of the vehicle.
You shouldn't need Opti-Coat or CQuartz Finest if you keep your car clean and maintained. I would also much rather spend $40 on a bottle of metal polish than $2000 on CQuartz, especially if I just spent $75K on a car. I use the polish I posted on three different cars and have issues. I think folks just like to spend money, but I guess if you have it why not? This is just MO, no offense :)

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
CquartzUK, which Charlie mentioned, is $59.00 for about 10 years worth.....

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/cquartz-uk-kit.html

And a silica coating like this is leap years ahead of any sealant you want to buy in terms of durability and abilty to slough off brake dust.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
If you have coated the wheels, then the question is basically pointless because it makes them super easy to clean....and you don't HAVE to spend $2k to get that.

If not coated, Sonax Full Effect. /thread

·
Premium Member
104 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
CquartzUK, which Charlie mentioned, is $59.00 for about 10 years worth.....

Cquartz UK Edition 30 ml. Kit w/ Reload

And a silica coating like this is leap years ahead of any sealant you want to buy in terms of durability and abilty to slough off brake dust.

Glen - so I bought this to apply to my tires. Wondering if I can also use on the exhaust pipes? I've followed your cleaning instructions for the pipes and noticed you suggested a different type sealer for the exhaust. Would it be possible/recommended to use CquartUK (seeing that I already have some on hand)?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Glen - so I bought this to apply to my tires. Wondering if I can also use on the exhaust pipes? I've followed your cleaning instructions for the pipes and noticed you suggested a different type sealer for the exhaust. Would it be possible/recommended to use CquartUK (seeing that I already have some on hand)?
that will work fine, I had Opti Coat onhand at the time of that post.....but CQ will work great - also, when you say "for the tires" you mean the wheels right?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Z 51 with black rims and the besr thing i found to use after every time i drive, is believe it or not a SWIFTER. Easy to use and the handle extends so you can get inside the rim also. I also use it on the engine and that area.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
using a swiffer without any lubrication will scratch long term, they will look clean right now, but in a few years will have micro scratches all over them because GM has decided to use std car paint+clear, not a hardened epoxy paint...just an FYI...you must irrigate to clean with something; rinseless, waterless, , water or other lubricants...

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you have coated the wheels......

If not coated, Sonax Full Effect. /thread
Not intending to hijack the thread, but related.

Referencing the chrome C7 Z51 wheels: are these clear-coated? I was under the impression they were not and hadn't seen any mention of it in anything I've read. How about the barrels? Thanks in advance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts