Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am picking up my car on Thursday. I understand you shouldnt exceed 4500 RPM for the first 500 miles but seriously? I mean who is buying this car and not mashing the pedal to the ground at least once on your way home from the dealership?

·
Administrator
16,312 Posts
So I am picking up my car on Thursday. I understand you shouldnt exceed 4500 RPM for the first 500 miles but seriously? I mean who is buying this car and not mashing the pedal to the ground at least once on your way home from the dealership?
OK, so this has been discussed elsewhere already. But I for one will be following the break in guidelines since I have a little more than 1800 miles to cover on the way back from the Museum delivery. So by the second day I should be done with the most critical ones and ready for some fun :) By then the temporary red line will have disappeared from the tac as well. :cool:

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I too have about 1200 miles right out of the dealer on the interstate to get home.....I've thought about how to "vary the speed" so it gets thru the 500 miles acc to the book. It's really the RPM they want varied, so my plan is to do this: set my iphone timer for 20 min. I have an A6. I'll get up to 65 mph in the Manual mode using paddles, and set the cruise, and then every 20 min, paddle down to 5th and go 20 min, paddle back to 6th, etc until I'm done with the 500 miles. This also will kill the AFM so all 8 cyls are being used at all times.

I'm open to any other way, any opinions?

·
Administrator
16,312 Posts
I too have about 1200 miles right out of the dealer on the interstate to get home.....I've thought about how to "vary the speed" so it gets thru the 500 miles acc to the book. It's really the RPM they want varied, so my plan is to do this: set my iphone timer for 20 min. I have an A6. I'll get up to 65 mph in the Manual mode using paddles, and set the cruise, and then every 20 min, paddle down to 5th and go 20 min, paddle back to 6th, etc until I'm done with the 500 miles. This also will kill the AFM so all 8 cyls are being used at all times.

I'm open to any other way, any opinions?
That sounds like a plan. I have seen at least one other individual who is planning on doing something similar. For RedHot I think I will just not use the cruise control for the first 500 miles and that should get around any constant rpm. The other key thing to try and avoid is any idiot requiring you to suddenly brake during that same time. So a real focus on the 3 second rule or safe distance while not trying to focus on all the cool goodies in your new C7 will pay big rewards down the road IMO.:cool:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think I broke mine in yesterday on the interstate when a woman rolled up beside me taunting me with her Yellow Camaro SS. I was trying to be good, but I had to go for it. I rolled away from a fourth gear roll on as she was playing catch up. Her car did look great if I might add. I saw it fade away in my passenger mirror. My sister that was in my passenger seat said she felt like she was in a plane on a runway taking off. Lol She loves how the Stingray squats down on take off. Two days ago at a red light another Camaro SS rolled up beside me with his lady in the passenger seat. I'm thinking here we go. He was signaling for me to roll down my drivers window. He said very nice! I told him I was really close to buying the ZL1 and that I loved Camaros. He told me that I made a good decision and that was that. Very nice couple. People are taking pictures and videos every where I go. They follow you for awhile and sometimes pull in behind you and want to talk about the car etc. Its cool to be a part of GM history. I'm not bashing Camaros for the record. Just had a little fun doing a fourth gear roll on which is very impressive from 65 mph.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts