Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For many years for snow/ice treatments on roads, a hard type rock salt, cinders in some states, have been used, which we all know, will wreak havoc on a stunningly fine detailed auto. (Yes I know, who takes their car out in that stuff).

Of late, my state has been using a brine solution to try to get a head's up on the melting process before the inclement weather arrives. With a light snow, that pretty much is all that's needed. Of course with the heavier snow/ice coatings, the hard stuff comes out.

On my little trip today, there was not one road that wasn't pretreated with the brine, forecast is calling for snow Tuesday. Now if you get behind one of the sprayers, the road doesn't dry for a good bit, and a solidly dark auto will turn into a two tone with a white lower half.

I got lucky today, did not have to follow one of them. Did notice a fine light white powder mostly on the rear end, a quick wipe down will take care of that.

What was on every major road I travelled today, the white streaks of dried brine.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I take the ditch before I drive over liquid magnesium chloride. It eats cars faster than rock salt ever did. I have been known to turn around and drive 10 extra miles to avoid freshly sprayed mag, and that is with my daily driven VW Jetta or a Ram pickup. I hope it doesn't eat aluminum like it does steel!

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I hit that too on RT1. At least it was dry. DE salted. They had a coupla crashes down this way. Took mine to the touchless car wash including the undercarriage, dried it and then ran the car good in MD (no salt). Now its packed away for the next storm tomorrow.

·
Administrator
15,316 Posts
That would be one of the very few reasons I would run RedHot through a touchless carwash to get the thorough undercarriage wash.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
That why my car is nicely put away for the winter. I don't care how you was your car, you'll never get that brine out of the little cracks and crevices of the car.
Driving across on the 80 once a week I find there are a few states that need to take care of snow and ice on the roads a bit better. Rather then having signs that warn of slick patches, they should try removing them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bought a used 2019 1LT in October. Crawling around underneath found pieces of what appear rock salt on inner rear bumper ledge, and engine seems to have a lot of white oxidation/salt spray on it. Frame seems covered with white oxidation/salt too. I can use a small brass brush to remove from some crusted bolt heads. How can I clean everything up ? The original owner bought the car in Feb. and I think drove it on some salted roads here in NC trading it in Aug. with only one season of this mess will it badly damage anything ? I grew up in the northeast and have seen cars completely eaten up by road chemicals.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Bought a used 2019 1LT in October. Crawling around underneath found pieces of what appear rock salt on inner rear bumper ledge, and engine seems to have a lot of white oxidation/salt spray on it. Frame seems covered with white oxidation/salt too. I can use a small brass brush to remove from some crusted bolt heads. How can I clean everything up ? The original owner bought the car in Feb. and I think drove it on some salted roads here in NC trading it in Aug. with only one season of this mess will it badly damage anything ? I grew up in the northeast and have seen cars completely eaten up by road chemicals.
A few months of driving on treated roads should not be a problem. Most of us here in the Midwest store our Vettes in the winter but there are a few SRF members who drive their C7's in the snow. Most if not all of the underside components are made of aluminum or other non-rusting composites.

·
Administrator
15,316 Posts
Suggest you take it to a brushless car wash that has the under carriage spray wash and run it through, or do it yourself with a hose and if possible, warm water.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
They use that brine mixture here in PA also. Jeff has the right idea to at a minimum spray as much off as you can because that brine mixture is usually full of sodium. It has a lower freezing point than water and provides better coverage because it goes where it is sprayed as opposed to a salt truck spreading out road salt that just goes wherever it is tossed from the truck. Spraying it down or taking it to a car wash that cleans underneath is a great idea. I also try to get under there with soapy water and actually wash the undercarriage last after washing the body. Get that stuff off even though, as Henry said, much of the undercarriage is not made of rustable material.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts