Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this is what a C7 windshield looks like when it takes a rock on the freeway. Now the question is where to get a replacement..dealer or glass service? And what is a HUD windshield going to cost?

ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1405874902.895523.jpg .

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Will the HUD make any difference in price? The HUD unit is in the dash, and only uses the windshield as a display surface (like a projector uses a wall).

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it has some type of reflective quality because the two places I called both asked if it had a HUD. Plus the windshield has a HUD logo on the lower right corner.

·
Registered
699 Posts
The windshield does need to be HUD compatible. If it's not, you can end up with a distorted view HUD display in the windshield.

Michael

·
Registered
699 Posts
I think it has some type of reflective quality because the two places I called both asked if it had a HUD. Plus the windshield has a HUD logo on the lower right corner.

The HUD windshield is laminated differently so the reflection is clear.

Michael

·
Registered
174 Posts
According to Glass Service Center » Automotive “Many insurance companies cover windshield repair with no deductible. CONTACT US to help setup a claim”.
Before going any further, you might give your insurance agent a call. Let us know the outcome, I have a small dent in my windshield too, but have yet to do anything about it.

·
Registered
10,418 Posts

Ah, I did not know that. Thanks for the information. Best wishes on a speedy repair.

·
Super Moderator
3,362 Posts
Ah, I did not know that. Thanks for the information. Best wishes on a speedy repair.
I just looked at a used AW 2LT Z51 and for the first time noticed the HUD label on the lower right corner of the windshield. Learn something new everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

Reactions: MYKZDRM

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So...got the bad news today. I called around and the best price I can get is over $1000 due to the HUD and fog sensors on the glass. No one has it so it will take 2 to 3 days to get it in. My insurance will cover the costs above my $500 deductible. Stupid rocks!!

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,549 Posts
I just went through this last month, and yes it needs to be a HUD windshield. Went to the dealership, they ordered the WS, they set up the replacement company. They were going to use Safelite, but Safeilte didn't want the customer to observe the installation, so that never happened. Was fortunate to find another windshield installer that didn't mind the customer watching, which was both enlightening and instructive.

There is a special tool that has to be used when removing the old windshield, it cuts the existing sealant material evenly, to ensure a good seal with the new.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Norm

Not sure you can answer this, but if you can great. With the windshield out can you make an adjustment to the HUD? Not that I would want a broken windshield, however some have had concerns on the tilting of the HUD display. If ever someone was in the same situation just curious if an adjustment could be made during a windshield replacement.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Clear Plex protective film for the windshield......google it and check out the videos

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Clear Plex protective film for the windshield......google it and check out the videos
I doubt anything would have saved me on this one. It was large and sounded like a gunshot inside the car.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I doubt anything would have saved me on this one. It was large and sounded like a gunshot inside the car.

You should see the size of the rocks this stuff deflects......I'm getting it on my 2015

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You should see the size of the rocks this stuff deflects......I'm getting it on my 2015
I will definitely check it out. It looks like we have a few installers in the area including the company who did my tint.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,549 Posts
Norm

Not sure you can answer this, but if you can great. With the windshield out can you make an adjustment to the HUD? Not that I would want a broken windshield, however some have had concerns on the tilting of the HUD display. If ever someone was in the same situation just curious if an adjustment could be comets during a windshield replacement.
I never gave it any thought, my display seems to be straight enough for me. Just make sure when the windshield is replaced, the rear view mirror and assembly is secured properly. There are installation instructions that comes with the windshield, you may want to go over with the tech, if he or she doesn't get ruffled.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Windshield has now been replaced. It was quite an undertaking. The installer allowed me to watch and take some pics. I definitely want to run some water across it to ensure no leaks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
Glad it didn't get the paint too! Then real expense and pain in the butt dealing with the car in the shop begins! Carry "0" deductible on your comprehensive and it covers free replacement-usually only costs a small amount more and if you get it on one vehicle, it covers the rest as well (at least my State farm does). Had a jerk throw a lighted cigarette on my clear top on my C6 and the whole $1800 replacement was covered with no out of pocket. Also have had to replace 3 windshields over the past 10 years with no price increase in permiums.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts