Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I apologize if this has already been addressed. But after the hurricane in Texas...my little town has experienced a shortage of Premium unleaded. Would running a couple of tanks of regular unleaded do harm to my 2016 C7 stingray?

·
Registered
2020 C8, Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic, 3LT, Z51, MSRC and more
1,028 Posts
We have the opposite problem around DFW area. Stations are running out of Low and Mid-Grade but have Premium available.

Here's what the 2016 Owners Manual has to say:

If equipped with the LT1 engine, use premium unleaded gasoline meeting ASTM specification D4814 with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. Regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher can be used, but acceleration and fuel economy will be reduced, and an audible knocking noise may be heard. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 91 octane or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, the engine could be damaged. If heavy knocking is heard when using gasoline with a 91 octane rating or higher, the engine needs service.

Reactions: Mobius and jdpatt12

·
Registered
609 Posts
I had same issue in GA during last shortage .. gas stations were only getting 87 Octane deliveries.

·
Registered
609 Posts
No. Drove other vehicles. I did have to put regular in my Focus ST but made sure I didn't beat on it. I only use 93 octane in vette and focus.

·
Registered
925 Posts
A tank or two won't hurt. Computer will adjust for lower octane. Add a container of Techron if you are concerned about lack of additives.

·
Registered
2020 C8, Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic, 3LT, Z51, MSRC and more
1,028 Posts
If you are really concerned, you could use an Octane Booster. Torco Accelerator seems to be highly rated. 32 oz added to 20 gallons of gas will raise the octane by 4 (87 to 91). It's not cheap. 32 oz can is $22.75 on Amazon.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Don't lug the engine, keep the revs moderate, and watch out for high temperatures.

Reactions: owc6 and elegant

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I was also recommend the octane boost like posted until you could get some good go go juice for your C7 Masterpiece.

SF
Rick

Reactions: redcorvette100

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
If I were you, I would just park the car and use other means of transportation until after resolution of the gas situation.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Rodney makes a good recommendation. If it's reasonable to keep it parked or you could run it down to 1/4 tank. There may also be a run on the octane boost additive, but that is also a viable option if it is available. Glad that you and your Stingray are OK.

·
Registered
925 Posts
If I were you, I would just park the car and use other means of transportation until after resolution of the gas situation.
I agree. If you have other transportation, park your C7. This gas situation should resolve itself in a week or two.

·
Registered
843 Posts
The octane boost is a good procedure. Even though it is expensive, you'll only need a jug or two before the premium gas is available. So good short term solution.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Hello. I apologize if this has already been addressed. But after the hurricane in Texas...my little town has experienced a shortage of Premium unleaded. Would running a couple of tanks of regular unleaded do harm to my 2016 C7 stingray?
Long time no see! I hope you are ok up there.

Reactions: redcorvette100

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
If you are really concerned, you could use an Octane Booster. Torco Accelerator seems to be highly rated. 32 oz added to 20 gallons of gas will raise the octane by 4 (87 to 91). It's not cheap. 32 oz can is $22.75 on Amazon.
I just burn E85!! :semi-twins:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I run E-85 as well. Couldn't find premium much less E-85 for about a week after the hurricane. Didn't want to risk putting anything else in there so I just waited until it was available. Only 2 gas stations in my area sell the yellow pump stuff.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,617 Posts
Thinking I know everything about my car, I'm a regular walking encyclopedia (when's the last time you heard that word), I don't even have the basic's down with that vehicle yet, after almost two years of ownership, I just discovered this today, duhhh............

008.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Regular gas, 87 Octane, and Premium @ 93 Octane is available in Central Ohio. Local County Auditors verify that you get a full gallon but the Octane rating is not monitored by anyone I know of. So when you purchase premium gas are you getting premium gas?? With modern engines with knock sensors that recommend premium 91+gas burning regular "87" would not be noticed by most motorists unless they know the full performance of their cars.
My C7 gets 93 Octane when I plan to explore it's potential, track days & etc. When putting along on public roads I use regular gas. On a recent 200 mile plus road trip on interstates, 70+mph, I recorded 33MPG on regular gas. And I did not note any knocking or other issues with my C7. I need to check the car's MPG potential using premium gasoline. I do purchase "Top Tier" fuel.
Just my two cents..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts