Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I'm 22 years old and I ordered my 2015 stingray back on June. I'm most likely getting my stingray on late September. I dropped 25k as a down payment. Which is a lot of money for me at this age. This will be my first sports car. I currently drive a honda. So that's a big difference. I know there's a lot of older owners these forums. Well I'm looking for any advice. From driving the car to taking care of the car. I have read a lot of good posts here.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I bought my 1st Corvette, a C3 in the late 70's at about your age, a used '69 Lemans Blue vert. The late '70s were down on performance, so I went old school. Since then I have upgraded with the changes thru C4, C5, C6, and the C7 is on order. I thought the cars held their value very well, especially compared to other high performance cars on the market. Remember, you get what you pay for, and I will tell you that once you own one, you are very likely to own one as long as you can drive. Living proof right here!

·
Registered
283 Posts
It's never an investment, no car is for the most part. Only people that will understand your choices are other people who are into cars, everyone else it's just an over priced mode of transportation to get you from point A to point B. I love cars and anyone on here does as well. We understand, it's more then "just" transportation and it is not over priced by a long shot. Reason... Because it makes you happy and that's what your buying, not to make others happy. I'm only 33 and this will be my first Vette, do I care what others think (friends/family)?? Nope!!! My family comes first in my life, but I'm still able to buy something to make me happy and they understand that. Buy this car for you, if it's what makes you happy and not for an investment.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Forget investment, forget practicality. You buy a Corvette because you want a car that is meant to be driven, not merely to get around in, and in buying a C7 you are getting a world-class sports car at a price far below others in its class. Once you get behind the wheel and take it out on the highway or a two-lane country road you will know why you bought it and that it is worth every cent you put into it. Relax and enjoy and have fun!

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,551 Posts
Do what you think is right, and advise from non-Corvette owners........walk a mile, shoes, yada, yada. Just drive it, enjoy it, it's a car, but a nice car.

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
First of all, figure out what you really want, and what your goals are. Then honestly answer to yourself of why you want what you want. Then, take a step back, and see if you like those answers or not.

Also, consider if you are financially in a place to make the purchase. Count it up (including insurance and EVERYTHING else), and be realistic.

If you can afford it, and if it is really what you want, and if you approve of your reasons for getting it, then go for it. If something is missing, reconsider.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Agree with all of above. A new car is not an investment, it is a depreciating asset. And 25k is a lot of money for me too, and I'm 49. If you already have your own place to live and have a handle on your other financial responsibiliites, I say more power to you and wish I was in the same position as you at your age. It took me 48 years to arrive at the point in my life where I could afford such a luxury. Would have been longer if I had kids, maybe even never.

When I was 21, I was lucky enough to borrow a relatively new C4 generation Vette from a buddy of mine. Took months of begging to wear him down. Never forgot mind blowingly awesome it was driving a car like that when I was 21.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Dave, Did you get an insurance quote? Neither of my 2 sons qualifed for Corvette insurance.
These are very fast cars and with it comes your ability to remain in control.
Even with the technology, they can get out of control and bad things can happen.

These cars are not "investments", you won't make any money on them...they are just fun....

So be careful and respect the power.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just don't give your friends rides since they think it's dumb to have a Corvette.

Let them drive their rice burners with the butt trumpets.

Better to have a Corvette when you're young to enjoy it for many years than when you're half dead at retirement.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Enjoy the car. You only live once and if it puts a smile on your face, then you have made the right decision. Anything that makes you smile is worth the money. I'm 50, just got my first Vette and now I see what all the fuss is about . I doubt from here going forward I will own any other car except a Vette. ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1408723950.422423.jpg

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
As others have said, no car is an investment unless it is already a collector item no longer made. A C7 does not meet that definition. It will go down in value every day you own it.

The car will give you much psychic income as a possession, but spending the money on it has opportunity costs, in the sense that the money you spend on this car will not be available to you for other things, such as a down payment on a home, or money to start your own business. I know nothing of your overall financial situation. The decision is yours.

I owned a Corvette when I was 19 years old. But it was one that was three model years old, and I paid about half the original sticker MSRP. I was going to a very cheap commuter college at the time. I got the money from a variety of jobs, selling off all my other possessions, and getting a small accident settlement. I loved owning the car, but as a result, I was always "broke", and my social activities were largely about the car. Don't get me wrong. The girls loved a ride in a fairly new Corvette convertible, but I could barely afford to buy them a sandwich.

Maybe a sound, low mileage used Corvette would be a good middle ground?

Reactions: c7pilot and Dave546

·
Registered
231 Posts
as long as you are not short changing your future, I say go for it. but don't sacrifice on your retirement savings, house purchase funds, etc. I started saving for retirement in my mid to late 20s so I'm doing pretty good, but I do wish I would have started saving at least a little bit when I got my first job out of college. The power of compounding is huge for that stuff.

All of our major (minor as well) purchases are made only after all the must have expenses (mortgage, daily drivers, retirement, etc) are funded and come from the "fun" account which covers vacations and toys. Damn toys can get expensive.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dave, Did you get an insurance quote? Neither of my 2 sons qualifed for Corvette insurance.
These are very fast cars and with it comes your ability to remain in control.
Even with the technology, they can get out of control and bad things can happen.

These cars are not "investments", you won't make any money on them...they are just fun....

So be careful and respect the power.
Yes they quoted me for 180 a month

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Dave; I had my first LT1 in 1971 when I was 21. Probably not the smartest move I ever made, but it was one of the funest. If you can swing it, go for it, but remember what's under your right foot. This car is more than most us "old farts" can deal with in some instances and I remember when I was 21 thinking...I got this! I didn't have a clue. Start out slow and learn what this car is about, read here what it can do, and know what you don't yet know how to do. It does not suffer fools lightly! Take care with it, but enjoy.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Enjoy it but be careful.
Take it to an instructor lead track day to see what it can really do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congrats on ordering your Stingray! I am also a younger 'Vette owner (2012 C6 GS 3LT)... 25 now, but I purchased my car around the same age frame as you (I was 23). I've had the opportunity to drive the C7 a few times, and I promise you're in for a treat.

Is it a good investment? From a financial standpoint, it's obviously not, but the emotional dividends more than make up for it. After your first track day with the car you'll understand. As far as being a younger owner, there are a few other ways the car has given me a "return" on my investment:

-You will connect better with older people. The age 50+ Corvette crowd's passion is nothing short of voracious, and you'll have many awesome conversations and meet interesting people just by going about your day.

-Your first impressions will improve. People seem to take a younger person with a Corvette more seriously (business settings, for example).

-You'll get more attention from the opposite sex (no matter what gender you are). It's sad, but true.

-The car servers as a vehicle (pun intended) for getting involved with the car community. Lots of events are Corvette focused because the car is so popular.

-It motivates you to learn more about proper maintenance and care of a car. It teaches you the pride that comes with taking care of it.

And most importantly - merging is now something you *look forward to* rather than dread with all your being. Can't put a price on that!

·
Registered
392 Posts
DO NOT buy the Vette just to get more attention from the opposite sex.

Anyone who's interested in you cuz of your car isn't worth their weight in junked out Hondas.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Dave, congrats on your order. Once you drive the C7 masterpiece you will desire no other performance vehicle! Enjoy its performance and grace and when your buddy says "lets see how fast she will go" just say not on your life this is not a track!! You will find out when it arrives, the C7 Corvette StingRay is to be respected in all aspects. Have a blast driving the wheels off it and don't forget the "Wave"

SF
Rick

1 - 20 of 73 Posts