Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
And another positive review, this one by LeftLaneNews.

LeftLaneNews said:
Sports cars and that "wind in your face" experience have gone hand-in-hand since the days when open-top MGs ruled the twisties.
Despite Chevrolet's best efforts, however, we've always had a hard time properly classifying the Corvette as a genuine sports car. Offered only as a roadster initially, it lacked the handling precision necessary to properly compete with the zippy small cars GIs were experiencing in postwar Europe. Subsequent 'Vettes emphasized straight-line performance up until the outgoing model. But even it came up a little short in some areas - primarily interior refinement.

Fast forward to today, however, and the Corvette has been reborn as a genuine modern sports car for the 21st century. A vehicle that has already blown us away as a removable-roof targa-type coupe, the Corvette really comes into its own as a convertible, vindicating decades of stylish boulevardiers that lacked the cornering prowess of a true sports car. Eclipsing even the impressive sixth-generation Corvette, the new model now known as the Corvette Stingray needs to make no excuses for itself.
Roof removal
Constructing a convertible out of a coupe used to be as easy as simply cutting the top off and adding a little bit of reinforcement. Today, of course, it's a lot more complex than that - the Corvette, like any other coupe/convertible, was engineered to be both a droptop and a hardtop. Interestingly, that means that its structure hasn't actually changed despite the removal of a roof-like structure behind the rear seats necessary to create the convertible."

Read more: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Convertible review

·
18,670 Posts
And now, CorvetteBlogger's review:

CorvetteBlogger said:
Now that the dust is beginning to settle with Chevrolet’s launch of the 2014 Corvette Stingray Coupe, it’s now time to turn our attention to the 2014 Corvette Stingray Convertibles that are just now being delivered to customers.

Last week we had the opportunity to drive the new Stingray Convertible through the mountains and high desert country surrounding Palm Springs, CA. The roads and weather were perfect for top down cruising so recline your seats and adjust your lumbar as we are going for a test drive in the new 2014 Corvette Stingray Convertible!

As I drove through a series of curves and switchbacks in the high mountains outside Palm Springs, CA, I kept a tight two handed grip on the suede covered steering wheel. I was driving the 2014 Corvette Stingray Convertible. This particular model was a Cyber Gray with a 1LT with black interior, but it came with the Z51 performance package and 7-speed manual transmission, magnetic selective ride control and the performance exhaust – 460 horsepower and 465 lb-ft of torque are at my beck and whim.

The Corvette Stingray Convertible was in 3rd gear as I threw the steering wheel one way and then the next. Powering out of the corners was fun with the Active Rev Matching automatically adjusting my shifts for 4th gear with the occasion to get up to 5th gear on some of the longer straits in the high desert country.
For rest of article: CorvetteBlogger Drives the 2014 Corvette Stingray Convertible | Corvetteforum

·
Registered
273 Posts
MotorWeek program on Velocity channel 281 Directv had review of 2014 Stingray Coupe. Saw it tonight but it was originally broadcast 12/6. Looks like it will be on again this Sunday 12/22 @ 12:00 EST

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve; I posted a link to it on the pictures / video forum. I was not sure if it was a re-run or not.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Steve; I posted a link to it on the pictures / video forum. I was not sure if it was a re-run or not.
Thanks, I didn't mean to post this on Convertible thread= my error. As for original airing date, I was going by what directv had on their program listing. Thanks for posting link to video. I TIVOd it!

·
18,670 Posts
Another really positive StingRay convertible review, this time by MotleyFool.com. They say that the convertible StingRay can "revolutionize General Motors."
"With the top up, the 2014 Corvette Stingray convertible is designed for a refined driving experience. A thick, three-ply fabric top, along with sound-absorbing padding and a glass rear window, contributes to a quiet cabin and premium appearance. © General Motors."

MötleyFool said:
If you know a fair amount about cars, you've probably aware that one of the big problems with convertibles is the reduction in performance, compared with coupes. Yes, you get to experience the wind blowing through your hair and the roar of the engine, but that comes with a price -- specifically, a loss of structural rigidity and increased weight.

However, in the latest iteration of the Corvette Stingray convertible, General Motors (NYSE: GM ) tackled this problem head-on. And the result could help revolutionize General Motors' brand.

A convertible that handles like a coupe
There are exceptions, but more often than not, a convertible is designed after its coupe sibling. Consequently, installing the hydraulics for the convertible top adds weight, and removing the top negatively affects structural rigidity -- this often results in what's known as scuttle, or cowl, shake, which is where the chassis flexes, causing a noticeable vibration. In other words, if you're looking for performance, convertibles aren't the way to go.

The all-new, seventh-generation 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray. Photo: General Motors.
However, according to Motor Authority, when General Motors design director Tom Peters first planned the new Corvette Stingray, he designed it as an open-top car. As a result, removing the top doesn't negatively affect the car's structural integrity. More importantly, when Motor Authority test-drove the Corvette Stingray convertible, it said, "there's really no shudder, no recognizable difference between the latest C7 Corvette, whether you go for it in Coupe or Convertible form."

Further, Corvette chief engineer Tadge Juechter, told Yahoo! Autos that the C7 Corvette convertible is 40% more rigid than the C6. Not willing to take that claim at face value, Yahoo! Autos' author Alex Lloyd, put it to the test: "Juechter let us drive his machine for hours on some truly magnificent mountain roads to verify his lofty claim." Lloyd concluded: "I can officially declare that Tadge Juechter is not a liar: During aggressive driving on twisty roads, it feels identical -- despite the convertible being 60-lbs. heavier due to its retractable roof."

What this means is the Corvette convertible handles like a coupe, and for gear-heads, this is no small thing.

Rigidity and sales
It's no secret that General Motors' reputation has taken a beating. Indeed, critics still like to call it Government Motors, in reference to the auto manufacturer's government bailout. Further, the Corvette has failed to attract younger buyers. In fact, Strategic Vision found the average age of a Corvette owner is 61, according to Yahoo! Finance.

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray convertible interior. Photo: General Motors.
To combat this, and actively lure younger buyers, General Motors did a number of things. First, it dropped the Corvette's price: The 2014 Corvette Stingray has a starting MSRP of $51,000, while the Convertible has a staring MSRP of $56,000. Second, General Motors gave the Corvette more aggressive styling, and redid the interior -- a constant criticism of Corvettes. And third, the new Corvette's frame is made out of aluminum, which reduces weight. Plus, with 460 horsepower, and 465 pound-feet of torque, the base Stingray can go 0 to 60 in 3.8 seconds. According to General Motors, that makes the new base Corvette the "quickest, most powerful, most capable standard Corvette ever made."

Moreover, these changes seem to be paying off, as in November, General Motors reported that 2014 Corvette sales surged 128.89% compared with the same time last year.

But will it attract younger buyers?
This is all well and good, but the real question remains: "Will the new Corvette attract younger buyers?" The answer to that question will come in time, but from personal experience I can tell you my husband -- who's 31 -- called the new Corvette the "most beautiful Corvette" he's ever seen. Further, his coworker is planning on buying the new Corvette Stingray convertible, and he's in his late 40s.

However, arguably one of the most impressive things about the new Corvette, and that could help revolutionize General Motors' brand, is the fact that the convertible handles like a coupe. There are very few convertibles that can make this claim -- one of the only ones that can is the McLaren 12C Spider. As such, General Motors making this claim is no small thing, and considering General Motors' image has taken a beating, anything that can help turn that around is potentially great news for investors. Consequently, this is something to watch.
Thanks to, and for the rest of the article:
http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...convertible-could-revolutio.aspx#.UrY-Yn-9KSO

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great review, but they didn't show us the convertible top going up & down. It could have been just another coupe review.
Your right. Most of these reviews seem to have been done by people that have never owned a convertible. Not many of the "top down" features that this car has were even mentioned.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts