Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone out there wondering if the C7 can withstand a major impact , I can say first hand that it can.
On Friday a Nissan Titan rear ended my new Z51 coupe at 50 MPH while we were stopped at a red light. The truck had been spotted weaving for miles before hitting us.
My son and I are bruised and shaken up and I'm waiting for the next step in this nightmare but the fact is, this new corvette ( 2,074 miles on her ) can take a hit. ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1407152655.016552.jpg ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1407152727.892820.jpg ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1407152780.134035.jpg
The police said the truck driver never touched his brakes and we are waiting to find out if he was texting or drunk.
I'm broken hearted to say the least as this was the first trip ( Pa to NC) my beloved 3LT had taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
While your heart may be broken, I am glad to hear that you and the son came through the accident well.

Please keep us up to date on the repair, what was involved, what it cost, and other such information relevant to getting the situation resolved.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Yes we were very lucky as the truck actually went up and over the driver side of my car.
I'm very worried State Farm is going to declare it isn't totaled as the impact displaced the body so badly that the front windshield header to removable roof panel gap isn't there and the rear hatch is moved to the right about 1/2".
I am so grateful we didn't get more seriously injured.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's also concerning is the car is in Raleigh and I live in Pa so monitoring the rebuild from a distance will be a major concern

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
That's one of the beauties of a body on frame car. The strength of the subframe really shows it's merit on side impacts. Back in 1979 my father was T-Boned by a drunk driver in his '77 coupe. They found the hood 100' away, he had a sprained ankle. Glad to hear you and your son walked away with nothing but a few scrapes.

If the frame is bent, and it sounds like that is the case, it should be a total loss. Although I rarely agree with many who post "they should replace the car", there's no straightening the multi piece aluminum subframe on the C7, it's not like in past generations where you could lift the body off the frame and just slide a new one in.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
What's also concerning is the car is in Raleigh and I live in Pa so monitoring the rebuild from a distance will be a major concern

If it is repairable where it's damaged is irrelevant. Hold firm on them transporting the car to the body shop of your choice close to your house.

Reactions: V1 VR and Ragtop

·
Administrator
16,590 Posts
Very sorry to see Don and glad that you and your son are OK.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Its great to know the C7 protected you and your son. That's really great news.
Even though you are heart-broken about the car (I know we all would be, too), the important thing is your health.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Wow! So glad you and your son are ok. Thank you for letting us know that the C7 is a safe car.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
The car tolerated the 50 MPH impact surprisingly well.

If you hadn't mentioned the speed, I would have guessed 25-30 MPH.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Glad you guys are OK.

Hopefully you'll get a new C7 cuz repaired cars are never the same.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Don, if you ever feel the need to go for a cruise while your car is being replaced or repaired, you know where to find me. I just cruised down to New Hope yesterday and had lunch at the Porter House outside Peddler's Village.

·
Banned
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,698 Posts
Sorry to see that, glad you all are OK. Nice car too.

·
Registered
231 Posts
First, good to hear you guys are ok. Getting hit at 50mph isn't trivial. Hopefully a day or two later you guys aren't too stiff and sore. The car looks amazingly good for that impact, not to say it's not totaled, but certainly did it's job for you guys.

Be interesting to see what the repair shops and insurance say. And also if and how intoxicated or otherwise distracted the other driver was. Good luck getting everything worked out.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Don, I'm glad to read that you and your son are alright, family can't be replaced. That is a major impact to me 50mph, did you see him coming in your rear view mirror at the last second? Is that the pickup in the third picture who hit you? It looks like a fullsize 4X4 maybe weighs at least 4500lbs. Let us know how everything turns out.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Don

Glad to hear that being bruised is the only injury. Very sorry about your car!

Hopefully the next steps are completed to your full satisfaction.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
You need to consider this also, If they do insist the car is repairable it may now have a salvage title, and that diminishes the value of the car by a significant amount (40-50%) and also quite likely will void your factory warranty.
I'd argue long and hard to be reimbursed for that even going to the point of hiring an attorney. The of additional cost of paying for the diminished value could make them put it into the totaled category.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
You need to consider this also, If they do insist the car is repairable it may now have a salvage title, and that diminishes the value of the car by a significant amount (40-50%) and also quite likely will void your factory warranty.
Are you sure this is the case? If they declare the car repairable, why would it get a salvage title? Why would a repaired car lose its warranty? Neither of those things make sense to me if the car is repairable.

The only reason it would get a salvage title is if it is totaled out, and somebody buys the salvage, right?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts