Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to document and post a lot, so if you like to read along as part of your C7 owning experience, get ready! If you just like pictures and dynos, I'm also your guy. Well, today marks the completion of my first week with the car. It has been a lot of fun so far! It's crazy going back and driving a "fast" V8 after having driven a late model CTS V. The CTS V came stock with 556HP and within the first month of ownership, we upped that to 600+whp. The car was 1000lbs heavier, but pulled like a freight train, while being very comfortable inside. Now the car as over 1,000whp so there isn't much to compare it to haha. We have a lot of cool stuff planned for the C7 though too including some of our own experimental stuff. I can't wait to show you guy! So far while I'm waiting, I picked up a green filter and a Diablo tuner to play around with and do some testing. Ahhh to be back at stage 1 mods... makes me tear up lol.

Initial impressions - I have to say I'm a big fan! The new looks are stunning - obv because of the redesign, but also because they're rare right now, plus everyone loves a Corvette! The car has a lot sharper edges much like the V, which I'm very partial to. (wait till you see these wildly sharp street wheels I'm after haha - only on this car!) The car has much tighter body lines and fender gaps on this model were greatly reduced. The doors and trunk are solid and shut nicely, even the V, the door can be slammed shut more easily if not cautious. The lights are very alluring in the twilight and at night. I'm not a fan of the car not having fog lights though. I'm working on something for that as we speak incorporated into the new grill . The car even at factory ride height is LOW when you're in the seat, so crawling out of a car that low again has take some getting used to, but it'll be lower soon!

Performance - It has the mag ride again so I'm obv used to that but it is much more refined IMO than the C6 setup; although, highly debated as more aerodynamic. The power on tap for an NA car is really stout. It has a lot of low end power but is really missing something up top lol. Don't get me wrong, it's still really fast and a lot of fun to drive. A blower on these and you're going to see 700whp pretty easily as most shops are already getting over 500whp with a head/cam package. A head/cam C7 is going to give a stage 1 or 2 V a real run for the money being 1000lbs less! I told my V clients they had better get their stage 3 kits on! (shameless, ever so shameless plug lol). The active exhaust is great and the sound note is really well done as it's very throaty. It's a little wearing at highway cruising after awhile though. I had a decent drive back from picking it up and ended up closing the butterfly about half way home. It quiets it down instantly just like my old 94 Stealth TT which had this back in the day. I always liked it then too, but this is much more fun obv because of the V8. It has several different suspension settings too and you can modify the exhaust to be open/closed with the settings too. So, Tour is quiet, but Sport changes handling settings and opens up the exhaust too. So many toys on this thing to mess with, I love that part.

Interior - I'm a big fan of targa cars, the clear blue roof is a lot of fun... takes me back some looking up through it. They get a big plus in the quality dept as the car inside is air tight and very solid. The LED dash is wild as you have many combinations you can put the dash in from a track setting, to analog looking gauges, to NAV in the cluster, radio displays in there, and on and on. It also has about 4 versions to display the tach and speed and you can move it around based upon your height too to keep it lower towards the cowl or higher up in view. The Radio/Nav screen is big too at 8" but small by comparison of the dash cluster display. It's cool you can mess around with so many displays on the dash to customize your experience. The secret compartment is all sorts of fun. this is the first Vette to have cooled seats so that's a big up. Dual zone controls are smart too, passenger control is on the outer dash vent on the other side though, so that ruins my fun of turning on people's seat heaters in the dead of summer when they're not paying attention (<--- yea dick! :)). Back hatch area is spacious and it easily handled grocery duties this week with milk, eggs, and 32lb bag of dog food that probably lasted 2 days lol. The seats are very comfy and snug. They're very nice quality and an easy ride for long distances though, but not plush of course. C7 is smaller inside than the C6 so for the 6'2"+ guys it might not be your first choice. The inside gets an A+ from me!

So, that's my initial review so far. It's a great ride and a lot of fun! I'll be more at home in it when it has over 600hp though so stay tuned! :)

·
Administrator
16,302 Posts
Nice write-up. Glad you are enjoying your new C7. I was surprised by your statement " The active exhaust is great and the sound note is really well done as it's very throaty. It's a little wearing at highway cruising after awhile though. I had a decent drive back from picking it up and ended up closing the butterfly about half way home." I have RedHot's set to be always on and have found, as others as well, that once you are cruising it quiets down and the cabin is as quite as my XTS Platinum. You must have been staying on the throttle to continue hearing it on your way home. I think the NPP is one of the absolute best sounding exhausts, especially under heavy acceleration. As to your summer prankster desires you can still turn on the passenger seat heater from the center stack probably without their noticing (or conversely turn on the seat cooling during the winter) :D. Looking forward to your upcoming posts. :cool:

Reactions: weaponX

·
Registered
489 Posts
Keep us posted on all the upgraded you are going to do. Very interested

·
Administrator
16,302 Posts
Just wondering...
Why would u need heated seats if u can't drive the car in the winter?
Alias Frankie!
-your back is sore from too much golf
-you took the roof panel off and stored it in the trunk, rolled the windows down and go out for a great drive on a sunny 40 degree day
-some like it hot :D

·
18,670 Posts
thanks for the detailed write up. Can't wait to see what "weaponXmotorsports" develops for the StingRay. Went to your web site and already see 27 quality aftermarket options for the car.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Great review, keep them up! Where abouts did you feel "up top" it was missing power? Haven't had mine delivered yet.

P.S. I am highly jealous of you, what a great career and endless options you have for your toys!

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As for the exhaust note, don't get me wrong - I love it (although it'll be replaced later this month ;)) the resonance seemed to wear on my ear drums slightly. The fact that it could go away with the push of a button is again awesome. My V has a 3.5" exhaust for big events and 3" exhaust with resonators for the street and it's still loud. I'm going to explore an exhaust for the V that I'm working with the manufacturer to bring to the C7 market as well. It's a nice setup found on exotics and still retains the butterfly system.

For those that do drive in the winter, I'll have an inexpensive snow package with blizzaks shortly. My cars sit and the Hummer gets the duty.

As for the power up top, it was a comment in jest comparing it to my 1100hp CTS V ;) eluding to my adding NOS on top of my build or maybe end up bolting a blower on anyways. You guys will soon learn I'm sarcastic and like to have a good time on here, so Ill have some fun with you guys from time to time!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts