Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know how to remove the hood louver? It has some type of clip I have not seen before. If anyone knows please let me know. I want to paint the Torch red stripe on it but it's very difficult to mask when it's on the car. Aloha, Mark

·
Banned
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blakebird, thanks I saw this video as well but they don't remove the louver. The white clips appear to be able to slide but I tried prying them with a flat head screwdriver and they would not budge. Aloha, Mark

·
18,670 Posts
Have heard that even with care, some of those clips break when removing them. Two bought a few replacement clips from their Chevy parts counter for the re-install.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Does anyone know how to remove the hood louver? It has some type of clip I have not seen before. If anyone knows please let me know. I want to paint the Torch red stripe on it but it's very difficult to mask when it's on the car. Aloha, Mark
Mark, have you tried your local Chevy dealer? Have the tech show you the manual on install or remove.

SF
Rick

·
Banned
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments. I went to the chevy dealer today and ordered 5 of the clips hoping I won't break all 10 clips. The clips are $6.86 apiece. Seems a little much but oh well. Good idea I should ask the tech he should have the manual by now. I'll try that tomorrow because it will be at least 2weeks before the clips get here. Aloha, Mark

·
Banned
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the clips Chevrolet ordered and sent me were wrong. I was able to remove the louver without breaking off any of the clips. After I masked it off and sprayed it I realized that all of the carbon flash trim is vinyl. Vinyl and lacquer don't go well together. Just like Goo be Gone, if you leave it on trim to long it will wrinkle up and be a very big problem. I put the paint on a little too heavy and it started to lift up. The only way to fix that is strip it down and re-paint. I hope this helps someone else trying to do the same thing. P.S. If you don't have the professional clip removal tool, Go to a gardening supply and pick up a weed remover that has a notched and angled face. To remove the clips intact you need to put equal pressure on both sides of the clip. Aloha, Mark

·
Banned
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aloha, As I am trying to paint my louver to match my stripes I found that the Carbon Flash is very unstable almost like an enamel and if you put laquer on it, your going to have big problems. Anyway since my louver has been off my car I wanted to find a new use for that big hole in the hood. It reminded me of my drag racing days. That got me thinking, I put on the vertical doors and what else could I do to make it cooler. I remembered my drag racing days and the Pro-Stock hood scoops were cool. So I decided to make a 3D mock up of a mini pro stock hood scoop that would be interchangeable with the louver. I built the 3D model that was in my head out of cardboard but when I get the fit and finish right I am going to lay it up in fiberglass. Just checking if any one else thinks this might be cool. Here are the photo's of my mock up. 006.JPG 004.JPG 002.JPG 001.JPG

And yes I built it from a printer box. Aloha, mark

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mark,

As the quote in the Field of Dreams movie states....

"If you build it, they will come!"

I think you might be on to something, but we will have to wait and see how it looks and works with the Stingray lines. I know that you will be posting pics once you build it. I still think your Lambo doors are great!!

AJ

·
Super Moderator
3,362 Posts
Aloha, As I am trying to paint my louver to match my stripes I found that the Carbon Flash is very unstable almost like an enamel and if you put laquer on it, your going to have big problems. Anyway since my louver has been off my car I wanted to find a new use for that big hole in the hood. It reminded me of my drag racing days. That got me thinking, I put on the vertical doors and what else could I do to make it cooler. I remembered my drag racing days and the Pro-Stock hood scoops were cool. So I decided to make a 3D mock up of a mini pro stock hood scoop that would be interchangeable with the louver. I built the 3D model that was in my head out of cardboard but when I get the fit and finish right I am going to lay it up in fiberglass. Just checking if any one else thinks this might be cool. Here are the photo's of my mock up.

And yes I built it from a printer box. Aloha, mark
I am a little confused about your idea for a hood scoop because the C7 hood louver is not scooping air into the engine bay, it is allowing air to exit and reduce lift.

Chevrolet-Corvette-air-flow.jpg

·
Banned
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually it does both, the bottom tray directs air in and out at the same time. There are two channels of air flow. Aloha, Mark

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Actually it does both, the bottom tray directs air in and out at the same time. There are two channels of air flow. Aloha, Mark
Gotta link that explains that?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Gotta link that explains that?
yeah....I'd like to see that as well.
I've never heard that, I've only heard that air is ducted from the grill up through the forward canted radiator, out the hood ducts, and to each side and over the car.

This body style doesn't (IMO) lend itself to hood scoops of any sort....
For example, I usually like a cowl induction hood, but it wouldn't go with this car at all.

GM explains the many vents of the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (New Videos) - Torque News

"The 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray hood is modeled after the hood of many endurance race cars that need to be perfect both in aerodynamics and in heat removal. As cool air passes through the radiator, it removes heat but that heat is then captured in the air coming through the radiator and in many cars, that heated air then travels around the engine where some of it is taken in as engine intake air while the rest vents around the edges of the hood and out the bottom of the car. In the 2014 Corvette, the air passing through the radiator is channeled quickly up through the opening in the front portion of the hood. This prevents that hot air from gathering around the engine so the heat is removed more effectively. Also, the turbulence created by the cooling air “trapped” in the engine bay can cause front end lift while the cooling system of the 2014 Corvette actually provides better downforce at higher speeds. - See more at: http://www.torquenews.com/106/gm-explains-many-vents-2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-new-videos#sthash.BGW6mBU1.dpuf"

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
The hood vent is 100% exhaust..... Not sure where you came up the the dual nature but that's simply wrong.

Reactions: crazywes

·
Banned
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, if you look at the configuration under the louver you will notice there is a channel to the Air Cleaner that allows for the Air cleaner to breathe fresh air from the front of the louver and the rear portion does channel out the heat. I agree about the purpose of this is to remove hot air and allow for greater down force. I however live in Hawaii where I will never get the car above 70 so for me down force isn't an issue. Also, I am not doing this for any performance enhancement, it’s strictly superficial aesthetics. And I’m building it because I can. Aloha, Mark

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
My only comment is that the louvers are so far down the hood. The scoop will look like it's falling off the front of the car.
But, to each their own.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Please post some pics when you get it done, also tell us if you run hotter. I think it will look like a monstrosity, and very homemade no matter how well you do it, but the pics will tell...

Subscribed....

·
Banned
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I don't know but this is how I build stuff, I mock it up then measure all the dimentions and then I break it down and have each piece laser cut to be reassembled and finished. I have not decided what material I will use for the final product. I will also probably cut vent slits in the back to let the air flow through. I will put up the photo's when I finish the mock up basically a rough draft. If you don't believe I can build stuff go back and look at my 1989 Rollover I rebuilt. Here's the link

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/stingray-owners-logbook/6068-c7-owners-have-owned-5-more-corvettes-3.htmlAloha, Mark

·
Banned
189 Posts
I have uploaded a new video to show off the bread rack I built so that I could transport bread to my satellite store. I hope you can view it here but if not I also uploaded it to my You Tube Channel. Aloha, Mark

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well, if you look at the configuration under the louver you will notice there is a channel to the Air Cleaner that allows for the Air cleaner to breathe fresh air from the front of the louver and the rear portion does channel out the heat.
The air intake is down low and off to the side - any air coming out of the hood louvers is taking radiator heat up and away.
It looks like the ducting is pretty dedicated to controlling radiator air, maybe I'll have to take a closer look under the hood to see what 'channel' you're talking about.

Putting a scoop on top seems like it can only slow the escape of hot air - unless it's open front and rear and doesn't impede air flow....like you say, just for looks.

Maybe Photoshop instead of mocking up a boxy cardboard piece? Lots quicker to 'prototype' that way...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts