Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have these 2pc light weight rotors on my V and I'm pleased to announce that Racing Brake will be making these for the Stingray and Stingray Z51 models as well! I'm eager to see how they end up because they're a very quality brake rotor, have true replacement rings, and saved about 20lbs of rotating mass over the standard Brembo brakes on prior high perf applications.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
It will be interesting to see how they compare to the Z51 units which are already pretty light. Do the Z51 rotors have aluminum hats? They look like they might but I haven't taken a close look.

·
18,670 Posts
It will be interesting to see how they compare to the Z51 units which are already pretty light. Do the Z51 rotors have aluminum hats? They look like they might but I haven't taken a close look.
Current Z-51 rotors are partly ductile iron, partly cast iron, though they are designed to be light weight. Here's an interesting article on them, as well as a "next screen" series of pictures.

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray - Area Z51 - Vette Magazine

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need to pull a Z51 front rotor off and weigh it. They're 13.6" OD. They're considered a 2pc rotor but don't offer OEM replaceable rings. Most two piece rotor hats are made of aluminum alloy and the discs are made of either cast iron or ceramic alloys. Aluminum is better at heat dissipation which is important for rotor wear and brake fade; however, the iron was most likely chose due to cost. Ductile iron is stronger than cast iron at least. For comparison, the RB rotors for a CTS V are 14.9" OD are around 22lbs IIRC vs. the rotor they replaced being 24lb one piece unit and the Brembo version which was 2pc but didn't offer replaceable rings was 2lbs heavier at 28lbs!

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The stock rotor weights are in!

Front two piece:
Dimension: OE=345x30mm
Weight: OE=20 lbs

Rear two piece:
Dimension: OE=340x26mm
Weight: OE=18 lbs

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Racing Brake rotors are in design now, but expected results for you track guys already look good!

Front two piece:
Dimension: RB=340x31mm (1mm thicker)
Weight: RB=16.5 lbs (projected)

Rear two piece:
Dimension: RB=340x26mm
Weight: RB=16 lbs (projected)

Total rotational weight savings are nearly 11lbs projected! That is a lot of weight for already light weight rotors when you take into account inertia and rotational mass!

Front Rotor WT.jpg

Rear Rotor WT.jpg

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm pleased to announce these light weight brake rotors will be available for Z51 and Non-Z51 models. They're going to save an additional 12.5% over the already light weight factory options. I'l be posting up a group buy later today on them if you guys are interested! They're actually a lot more affordable than the other options I've offered in the past!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts